Portable solar panel question (1 Viewer)

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
When I got the new van, it came with a small briefcase style and size portable solar panel and cable with crocodile clips on the end. No instructions, and no labels on it.

I'm guessing its no use to charge me leisure batteries without some for of control panel or inverter but I have to profes my ignorance of such things. Looking at stuff on the web would suggest its not much use on its own....

Is it any use????

Ta

mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes simply clip it to your L/B or I will give you 30 quid for it :DJust thought 30 may be too generous 20 then ;) or I may stick to the first offer
terry

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Be careful, I was 'given' something similar a few years ago when we had a caravan, did just as Terry suggested, checked the voltage during the day, full sun in France, all looked good

Went dark, switched on a light, nothing, we had cooked our LB

When I got home I told the tale to the donor, who said, same thing happened to me :Eeek: :doh:

Thanks, don't do it to yours, unless it is very low output, it needs a regulator

Not a very technical answer, but I think you already had the same idea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
An add to davids post.
Solar under 30watts doesnt really need a regulator and judging by the size given i would estimate the wattage at no more than 15watts.

At most that will provide 1 amp.

Fine for charging your phone, ipad or a couple of rechargable AA cells but more than that is wishfull thinking.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
is it possibly a low wattage one to keep the vehicle battery topped up?

(am having a problem with my panel van conversion, if i don't run it for a couple of weeks the van battery is dead and i need a jump start. have just had eight weeks spent indoors with kidney stones and not been able to use it, so am going to be getting a small 12v panel to put against the inside of the windscreen, either 2.4w or 4.8w to keep it topped up, not really sure what one to get. would certainly appreciate any recommendations from those who know about these things. had a brand new heavy duty battery put on the van a few months ago in anticipation of scampering around for the summer, alas, so far that hasn't been possible)

apologies for jumping into your thread with another query mike..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My offer of 20/30 quid is looking like a bargain :D Some suitcase ones are 60 w claimed but they have a built in regulator ;)lots are 30 w -only looking to pass it on to the owner of this van I am converting he may find it useful :)WHO KNOWS I MAY EVEN USE IT MYSELF -never needed one yet but ?
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

(am having a problem with my panel van conversion, if i don't run it for a couple of weeks the van battery is dead and i need a jump start. have just had eight weeks spent indoors with kidney stones and not been able to use it, so am going to be getting a small 12v panel to put against the inside of the windscreen, either 2.4w or 4.8w to keep it topped up, not really sure what one to get. would certainly appreciate any recommendations from those who know about these things. had a brand new heavy duty battery put on the van a few months ago in anticipation of scampering around for the summer, alas, so far that hasn't been possible)

No need to apologize :) people always jump onto threads but they soon get back on course :)I have asked the same question in the past thinking along the line of just a cheapo from Maplins /halfords one at about a tenner -some say no good at all while others say it works for them (y)
Never got around to either so cannot comment :D
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

2.4w (1/4amp) and 4.8w (1/2amp) wont even keep it charged.
The batteries self discharge rate will be close to that.

30 watt (just over 2 amps) is the best option for maintenance charge.and you wont get much more than 1.5amps at the best of times so wont cook your battery

OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
Thanks to all for the comments.
£30 and it's yours :)

Mike

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
2.4w (1/4amp) and 4.8w (1/2amp) wont even keep it charged.
The batteries self discharge rate will be close to that.

30 watt (just over 2 amps) is the best option for maintenance charge.and you wont get much more than 1.5amps at the best of times so wont cook your battery

thank you for the info pappajohn, i did ask this question on another forum and they suggested that the 2.4w would be adequate, i'm a total klutz when it comes to volts, amps and watts etc. which is why i had a very simple set up on that side of things when i had my van converted..

had no idea at the time that modern vans with alarms and immobilisers drew so much from the battery when they're sat idle..
in fact, why do they? my car has both on and never once has the battery flattened when it's not been used..

OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
This looks like mine -
Broken Link Removed

I discovered a wire coming up through the dash and it plugs into the panel. A green light comes on that says 'charging'. I unplugged it as that must be a charge coming from the battery, but why? and which battery? I can't see anything obvious at the leisure battery, although having said that, there are a lot of what look like original fix wires going to the terminals, housed under the pax seat.
And I found a rear aux for the stereo, plugged the iphone in and bingo, I have access to all my music!! Result :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back