Portable satellite setup help. (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We rarely watch TV at home, so goodness knows why "we" need one, but I am looking for help in choosing and understanding a portable satellite system for use in UK and down to Spain.
We chose the portable option because, A, I'm tight and won't spend upwards of £1500 on a permanently mounted self seeking system
and B, see A!

A whole system would be good with receiver too, possibly 12v if there is such a thing. So, now the questions.
What English speaking channels are available in mid France to Northern Spain? Are they similar to what's available on Freesat? ( we have freesat at home, won't pay for and don't like Sky)
Will a Freesat receiver work or do I need a different one ( 12v option if possible but I suppose its better on EHU especially with a TV)?
I've heard of Astra and Hotbird which I believe can be picked up in southern Spain. Will any portable kit be able to pick them up.
What size will I need.

Thats probably it for now. Thanks in advance

Allan

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the position and which satellites are used to broadcast uk channels is currently changing. i believe february some point. nobody knows quite how far south you will then be able to pick it up

as it is now, the further south you go the bigger the dish required gets. the 400mm mini dish in some portable 12v kits is as much use as a frisbee. some are suggesting you may need an 1800mm (6ft) in spain and portugal. fitted systems are already hit and miss

personally i use a 600mm (2ft) dish on a tripod throughout the uk ireland and northern france. have a search on here for the map showing satellite footprints and sizes. but i wouldnt spend anything till the positions have been finalised later this year

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Maxview do a 12v free to air satellite receiver. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
If you already have the TV (You can buy them with a sat decoder built in eg. Avtex) then you will need a decoder. I have a Manhatten plaza 12V, with PVR. (records progs for watching when suits). It works well !

The size of dish - there is lots of good advice from sat boffins on the satelite forum. I was advised to go for a good LNB, the dollop that goes on the arm that sends the signal to your decoder. To record you will need a double feed LNB and twin cable(two coax leads) to your box.
You can sometimes pick all this up quite cheaply on fleabay.

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Have a look here:

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk

I gave up trying with a dish, found it keeps the sun off my front tyre better than it picks up Corry. Must get another for the back!

Much easier to use the net for TV abroad. I suspect the new sat alignments are intended to exclude anyone outside Blighty.

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
What English speaking channels are available in mid France to Northern Spain?
The same as you would receive from satellite in the UK.

Are they similar to what's available on Freesat? ( we have freesat at home, won't pay for and don't like Sky)
Yes.

Will a Freesat receiver work or do I need a different one
Freesta receiver will work in Europe, when they can get a signal from the UK TV satellites

I've heard of Astra and Hotbird which I believe can be picked up in southern Spain. Will any portable kit be able to pick them up.
Yes.
But a freesat box in freesat mode will not, but a freesat box in non freesat mode will
But apart from BBC WOrld News, CNN< Sky News International, and one or two others, there are no other English languages channels on those satellites.

What size will I need.
Depends where you are and what you want.
Reception varies so much as you move further south in Europe.
Some areas of Spain can receive all channels on a 80-100cm dish from the temporary 1N satellite.
But in other areas, (very south west of France, very north east of Spain) , you need a much larger dish (1.8m+, to receive channels (Five for example), from the first new satellite.

But as mentioned, things are changing. Very soon. As those channel on 1N are set to move tot he seconds new satellite sometime in February. SO reception of many BBC ITV C4 channels will change. How exactly no-one will know until it happens...but it is thought to be similar to the first new satellite.

the position and which satellites are used to broadcast uk channels is currently changing. i believe february some point.

The position of the satellites is not changing - UK TV is pretty much set at 28.2-28.5 east.

as it is now, the further south you go the bigger the dish required gets. the 400mm mini dish in some portable 12v kits is as much use as a frisbee. some are suggesting you may need an 1800mm (6ft) in spain and portugal. fitted systems are already hit and miss.

depend where you are in Spain, and if those areas are in "side lobe" areas...as some aras of Spain are in a side lobe and can receive channels on an 80-100cm dsih, but in others a 2m+ dish is required

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Is there at some point going to be a date provided (by whoever) for the changeover?

Once this has taken place, presumably we have to wait until people already in Europe start feeding back what they can and can`t get with different size dishes etc, is that it, at least for a while, or are more changes already planned?

Thanks

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Is there at some point going to be a date provided (by whoever) for the changeover?

Once this has taken place, presumably we have to wait until people already in Europe start feeding back what they can and can`t get with different size dishes etc, is that it, at least for a while, or are more changes already planned?

Thanks

All we know from SES is that any changes will be happening "mid February".

When it happens then yes, it is a wait and see and time to gather all the reception reports, and then the new satellites actual reception footprint can be mapped - which can / will be different to the official estimated footprint maps.

And then we have to wait for the third and final satellite 2G to be launched and made operational. 2G is expected to launch sometime in Q2 2014,and is expected to take over Astra 2As channels - which are mainly Sky pay channels. BUt that is not to say some other channels may move onto it....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back