Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
I am sure this must have been answered before but I do not have the data at the moment to search all the threads.
I run on Camping Tyres which require 85psi cold but raise to 90psi while driving. I have a TyrePal fitted.
Yesterday one of my tyres was showing low pressure at 75psi. I must have kurbed it or something and lost a bit of pressure because it was static at that. I am touring in Spain and called into a petrol station with a nice new looking air point and after pushing the button to my horror found it had let the tyre down to 70psi which was the maximum it could do even after I heard the compressor run. I drove reasonably slowly to the next place but same there. I tried my portable pump which has rarely been used as I have a compressor at home. It was supposed to be able to pump at 100psi but after half an hour it had raised the tyre 2psi and was almost melting. I eventually found a tyre place who let me use their air line and did the tyre ok.
So, has anybody found a good portable compressor which will cope with 100psi, pump in reasonable time and not melt in the process. We are going to Peterborough so may find something there or maybe somebody has a link to one they have which they know does the job.
Thanks for any help.
Steve

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I have 2. The Ring RAC900 which I bought to use with my last van, & one in the fix&go kit that came with the Ducato X250. Have used both without any problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a Ring RAC 900 too, pumps the rear tyres up to 5.5 bar with no problems. Only negative is with alloy wheels, the tyre valves are inset quite a bit and unscrewing the pressure hose can be awkward resulting in the loss of a bit of air. I always over inflate then check them with a gauge

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks @scotjimland , @Robert Clark & @funflair ,
That looks the job, supposed to be stocked by Screwfix but they only do the RAC850 but will do a good search when I get home. Thanks Martin but a Motorhome tyre is about 100 times the size of a bike one and I really don't need that amount of exercise so will let the batteries take the strain I think.
Steve

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That looks the job, supposed to be stocked by Screwfix but they only do the RAC850 but will do a good search when I get home. Thanks Martin but a Motorhome tyre is about 100 times the size of a bike one and I really don't need that amount of exercise so will let the batteries take the strain I think.
Steve
I use one of these Steve, take it everywhere just in case 'cos you never know when your going to need it next. ;) :LOL:
image.jpg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use the smaller Ring RAC700, it does my tyre upto 4.5 bar with no trouble.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin but a Motorhome tyre is about 100 times the size of a bike one and I really don't need that amount of exercise so will let the batteries take the strain I think.
Steve
:LOL: It is good exercise for sure but will take a motorhome tyre from flat faster than the electric pumps and so much easier than messing about with wires especially if you already carry one for the bikes.

Martin

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I use one of these Steve, take it everywhere just in case 'cos you never know when your going to need it next. ;) :LOL:View attachment 93182
Let me know where you are going to park a Peterborough please Paul so I can park as far away as possible. But I will bring a very long hook-up cable so I can plug in if needed.
I think it will need to be the RAC900 @Manic because I need 6 bar+
Steve

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
6 bar is 87 psi, but I agree it is good to have a bit of spare capacity in hand so as not to strain the pump. Hope the people who fitted your tyres used high pressure valves as the standard Schrader tyre valve is rated at 4.5 bar / 65 psi max.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Yes @JeanLuc I changed to metal valves some years ago after losing a tyre from a valve failure. My local tyre guy recons that here in the South of France, all Motorhomes should use them. After fitting the TyrePal and seeing how quickly the tyres increase pressure by 10% and over I agree with him.
Steve

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
I brought this one last year very happy with it. Up to 150psi

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

That's the one we have, there is a socket on the side of the big trailer for it and we have a socket with flying leads and croc clips for the Discovery. Our son has a slightly smaller but very similar unit.

Broken Link Removed

Well worth the extra money, Paddock Spares and other Land Rover dealers sell them, and they can be found on ebay.

Peter

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Having just seen this thread resurrected I would add that you may well be surprised how effective bike 'track pumps' are :eek:

I carry one in the van for our Bromptons. A couple of times when I have needed to 'top up' the van tyres I tried the track pump and was very surprised at just how easy it was :eek::eek:

As @funflair says, a lot to be said for not having to mess around with wires etc (and quicker too) (y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have one of these which works a treat - German Engineering!

Broken Link Removed

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
I am thinking of a new compressor as my old car one hasn't sufficient output. I know very little about electrics so apologies if I ask a dumb question. I see the spec for the RAC 900 says 228 watts which on 12v is about 19 amps. I presume it needs to be connected with crocodile clips to the MH battery. When using the compressor should I run the engine?. Thanks.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
I am thinking of a new compressor as my old car one hasn't sufficient output. I know very little about electrics so apologies if I ask a dumb question. I see the spec for the RAC 900 says 228 watts which on 12v is about 19 amps. I presume it needs to be connected with crocodile clips to the MH battery. When using the compressor should I run the engine?. Thanks.

No, unless you are running it continuously for more than 30 minutes.

Note that the smaller/cheaper pumps have duty cycles which are fairly short, few are rated for continuous operation.

Peter

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

Just got out of Lidl.

They have these for sale at Saltash Cornwall.

Could be useful.

270386_22_teaserthemeworld2x1.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That's the one we have, there is a socket on the side of the big trailer for it and we have a socket with flying leads and croc clips for the Discovery. Our son has a slightly smaller but very similar unit.

Broken Link Removed

Well worth the extra money, Paddock Spares and other Land Rover dealers sell them, and they can be found on ebay.

Peter
My landrover one :LOL:
CA_06291415140410-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back