Portable Generators yea or ney? (1 Viewer)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Just bought via Gumtree an almost brand new ( three hours running) digital 2,2 kw sine wave 4 stroke generator which is very quiet ( 58 DB) for £200, tried it out and promise not use at night but just to charge electric bikes and SWMBO hair drier mid afternoon, will not be switched on or used before 2pm and be off by 4 pm and anyone who wants to hook up for a boost is welcome ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Its very very quiet so despite having solar etc what is the general consensus of using a genny? My creed is two hours max per day only only in daylight hours , at least 25 mtrs from van and only in time slot published , serious question would you moan if it was next to you? 58 BD computer fan is louder!
PS very happy with it!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Probably would not bother me as I would be still driving at that time of day. 😂
What does it weigh out of curiosity?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Just bought via Gumtree an almost brand new ( three hours running) digital 2,2 kw sine wave 4 stroke generator which is very quiet ( 58 DB) for £200, tried it out and promise not use at night but just to charge electric bikes and SWMBO hair drier mid afternoon, will not be switched on or used before 2pm and be off by 4 pm and anyone who wants to hook up for a boost is welcome ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Its very very quiet so despite having solar etc what is the general consensus of using a genny? My creed is two hours max per day only only in daylight hours , at least 25 mtrs from van and only in time slot published , serious question would you moan if it was next to you? 58 BD computer fan is louder!
PS very happy with it!
I'd be interested to know which generator you have you bought

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
You seem to have a refreshing awareness of the nuisance that a genny can cause, so all power to you! (No pun intended).

Is it the Hyundai HY2000SEI?

OP
OP
The Coops

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Its 19 Kgs and its LTS UK XG2000 ( its made in China and an obvious rip off of a suitcase Hyundai) but 8 hrs running on less than 4 litres I think result ,,,,,,,,,,,,if it turns to rats , well more fool me but seems very well made and put together and state of the art

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Bought one about 4-5 years ago (which given my age probably means 8-10 years ago) never used it to date.

Just sits in the workshop looking useful

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Generators aren't popular on meets & rallies or in other camping fields in our experience but are necessary for some so always try to make sure they are pitched away from anyone they might annoy. It's not just the noise (even if it is meant to be the "silent" variety) but also the fumes. Understand that it's possible to run most things (even medical equipment) off an invertor with enough solar kit & that seems to be what most use.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Last site we were on the bloke on the next pitch put his telly on bout 7am and off at about 11.30pm on the Sat and Sunday. Now that was annoying.
A genny i don't think would irk as much.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last site we were on the bloke on the next pitch put his telly on bout 7am and off at about 11.30pm on the Sat and Sunday. Now that was annoying.
A genny i don't think would irk as much.
If it did I'd just turn the telly volume up.

Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
I keep one in the garage for emergencies and its been used numerous times with no issues normally go over and say what Im about to do
Like someone has said they have there place

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You need a acoustic box( a bit of ply and foam) , when it loads to 1800-2000w you will be very surprised how loud it gets. I have two inverter generators at the off grid house and I run it in the garage at 3/4 load of 2300w. Only use it if more than 4-5 days of really dull weather. Also your Genny 2200w quoted is surge load, expect it to bog from 1800w up.
On the pitch, if only 1/4 loaded is acceptable, but stick it in a acoustic box and it’s very quiet.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is not the generators or televisions that are annoying... it is the people using them...

I don't often find myself near annoying people these days.

If I do, I make use of the wheels on my van and escape.

My genny doesn't annoy anyone because I don't use it anywhere it will.

But then, like most Funsters, I am an angel and never do anything wrong.

JJ :cool:

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
If you box it in will it not cause heat dissipation issues? I was going to do the genny thing, even bought a Hyundai but had to return it as faulty. Now I just rely on the solar panel, which is really good I have to say, and how I manage my power usage.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have had a generator for a few years - probably not as quiet as your one

I use it to top up my leisure battery when away for more than 3 days, without EHU (single 110ah battery & no solar)

Generally, I use it for a couple of hours whilst I am in/with the van

It's usage is mainly at classic motorcycle race meetings, so noise is not really an issue, but sometimes it gets used elsewhere

Whenever I use it I will always check with my neighbours to ensure they are OK with it - never had a problem

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
There was a small Honda generator next to us last year, we were on a big club THS and there was about 10m between pitches. I only noticed it running when I left the van and walked past it. The wind was noisier.
I've got one in the loft for emergencies but wouldn't bother taking it away, solar is more than adequate for us.

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Probably wouldn't hear it over my trumpet and the wife's drum kit when we practice ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back