LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've not seen that make before, but my vote is a cadac, great bit of kit.:thumb:

CADAC

We've got a carri chef but the above link is for the smaller one.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
by the time you add the propane conversion it bumps up to £140.

Looks too 'gimicky' to me.

We used a Cadac carri-chef deluxe

About the same price but far more cooking options.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
We got a Cadac Carri Chef Deluxe which is great :Smile: they do different versions/options so maybe worth googling :Smile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a Cobb "BBQ" which isn't gas of course but to be honest we are a bit disappointed with it. The problem is it isn't what I would call a BBQ. It is just a charcoal powered hotplate.

This means it can cook things but you don't get what I would call the true BBQ flavour which you get when the juices drip onto the hot coals - whether they are charcoal or gas heated bits of rock. Our BBQ at home is a Weber and it is brilliant. I've cooked whole chickens on it.

Some of the gas BBQs suggested above look as if they may suffer from the same problem - there isn't enough information on the pages to tell.

All I'm suggesting is check how they work if you want a proper BBQ. The heated hotplates are fine for pizza but not for meat in my experience. Although they are easier to clean!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We also have a Cadac, it's OK for when you're not allowed a proper BBQ, but prefer one of these when we can.

Broken Link Removed

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Which BBQ

Has to be the weber curve had a cadac lots of messing building it.Weber is self contained would recommend buying the trolley as well saves bending over it does every thing it says on the tin.
nerves a jangling its my first post:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have a Cobb "BBQ" which isn't gas of course but to be honest we are a bit disappointed with it. The problem is it isn't what I would call a BBQ. It is just a charcoal powered hotplate.

This means it can cook things but you don't get what I would call the true BBQ flavour which you get when the juices drip onto the hot coals - whether they are charcoal or gas heated bits of rock. Our BBQ at home is a Weber and it is brilliant. I've cooked whole chickens on it.

[HI]Some of the gas BBQs suggested above look as if they may suffer from the same problem - there isn't enough information on the pages to tell.[/HI]

All I'm suggesting is check how they work if you want a proper BBQ. The heated hotplates are fine for pizza but not for meat in my experience. Although they are easier to clean!

the Cadacs mentioned above come with a variety of cooking surfaces...inc a wire mesh/grid option which does allow fat to drip into the burner pan and if coals were added would give the same smokey taste.
The other included options are a cast iron griddle plate, smooth one side and ribbed the other...ideal for that char-grilled effect if not the taste.....and a skottle pan
Also an additional option is a deep wok......

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Has to be the weber curve had a cadac lots of messing building it.Weber is self contained would recommend buying the trolley as well saves bending over it does every thing it says on the tin.
nerves a jangling its my first post:whatthe:

we all had to make a first post at some time....mine was 20 odd thousand posts and nearly 7 years ago. :Eeek:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We have just bought another of these. The last one lasted about 3 years and still going strong. Just a bit 'used' now, to fancied a new one.

They are superb

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
we all had to make a first post at some time....mine was 20 odd thousand posts and nearly 7 years ago. :Eeek:

About time you got an answer right then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cadac I've had one for 4 years and hate it :RollEyes: sorry Cadac fans

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I think it depends what the OP wants to cook, a cadac can do eggs and bacon fried tomatoes mushrooms etc for breakfast or pancakes. Curries, roast chicken, paella, casseroles as well as sausages and burgers, steaks etc.

I've had one like yoricks we used it on the beach with the kids, the best bit was throwing a load of driftwood on it and using it as a fire pit. Was rubbish for food.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
bbq

We have used a small weber for nearly five years now we plug it in to the van and cook and have found it to be a great bit of kit and not to bad to clean for a bbq:Smile:

OP
OP
StevieBambs

StevieBambs

Free Member
May 5, 2012
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Cadac or weber

It looks like the vote is split between the Cadac & the Weber ?

Think I will see if I can find somewhere nearby to look at both (Cadac Chef & Webber Q1000) ?

Really only for using as a BBQ & not for cooking breakfast or every day meals.

Certainly gone off the original idea of the Marc-O 3000.

Steve

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had a variety of BBQ/grills in the past.

Cadacs are mostly used as 'grills' with the solid ribbed hotplate, rather than the BBQ rack, so to me they are basically a glorified gas hob with a griddle pan on them, but more expensive and more difficult to clean and store.

A 'proper' gas BBQs, those with a normal type of BBQ rack on, work very well if you get the ones with the lids and a small warming shelf, the lid can be closed when cooking which speeds things up a lot and therefore saves gas too. Those with the built in warming shelf mean you can keep food warm whilst you finish off the rest, that way everything is nice and hot at the same time and means you don't have to have a massive BBQ for a large family. We found that you do NOT need the coals to get the proper BBQ taste, in fact if you buy one with them, just leave them out!

When we had our Chausson MH (and now our Autocruise PVC) we didn't have a gas BBQ point so it was a case of seeing what we could do as we didn't have room in our gas locker for a second bottle to take out specifically for a BBQ, or want to go to the expense of putting in a BBQ point, so instead bought a suitcase gas BBQ which works off gas canisters, the aerosol shape ones which are a cheap as chips and can be bought just about anywhere.

We also bought a suitcase gas hob too, again it works off the same canisters so we don't have to carry more than one type with us. We've found that these items work very, very well indeed as they can easily be placed anywhere we want to cook, and can even be used inside if we want to (taking care of course!). If we only want to cook a small amount of food the hob and a griddle pan are ideal, if we want to do more, then the BBQ itself can be used.

The hob also does service as an extra gas ring too if I need it especially if we are having something smelly as it can then be cooked outside on that to save stinking the van out! Also when we're waiting for the chunnel/ferry and the gas has been turned off on the van, we can still use the hob to make a cuppa. :thumb: As an additional benefit, we could use both the hob and the BBQ to cook food if for some reason we had a problem with the gas system in our PVC whilst away ... I simply cannot function without my cuppas!!!!!

Attachments

• 3 in 1 bbq stove grill.jpg
    3 in 1 bbq stove grill.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 27
  • gas hob.jpg
    gas hob.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2013_New-Gas-Barbecue-2web.jpg
    2013_New-Gas-Barbecue-2web.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We looked at those BBQ's that are shown in the first post but they were under another name but definitely the same thing, we decided against it as the quality wasn't great.

We bought a Weber Q1200 but think it had a slightly different name 2yrs back when we got it but it's the same as todays Q1200.

I liked a few things about it:

1. Electric ignition
  2. Fold out tables sides, really useful
  3. Light weight, collapsable stand
  4. Temp gauge and closing lid for larger pieces of meat

Ours has had 2 seasons use of hard use and it's cleaned up very well and we are very happy with it. I also slightly modified the gas cylinder cage so I could fit the larger and cheaper Cadac cylinders in, there that will at least keep the Cadac supporters happy:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Free Cadac

I have a Cadac Carri Chef (minus legs, lost in France:Sad:)

FREE to good home.. collect in Woodbridge Suffolk.. don't ask me to post it ...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We are always busy cooking outside and have tried just about every form of BBQ over the years. The best I have found is one of the cheapest and lightest. It folds up to almost nothing and cooks great. Takes 2 minutes to clean and put away after use, although once camped as we are now it just sits on an old table outside the van, ready for use. Less than £30 off the bay.
Broken Link Removed

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
The Cadac for us. We bought ours in 2002 and all the accessories too. Came in two tough carrying bags. We have used it for nearly 12 years and at home as an extra when needed. The only fault we have is the wind easily blows it out (maybe the fact an earlier model). Rectified by a windshield but wonder if the newer versions different. We can cook anything on ours. But quite heavy! Again maybe an age issue. It was expensive at the time, but so sturdy and well made.:Smile:

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We are always busy cooking outside and have tried just about every form of BBQ over the years. The best I have found is one of the cheapest and lightest. It folds up to almost nothing and cooks great. Takes 2 minutes to clean and put away after use, although once camped as we are now it just sits on an old table outside the van, ready for use. Less than £30 off the bay.
Broken Link Removed

We have got one of these and so far it's been great :thumb:

It's ideal for the two of us but I suppose it depends how many you want to cook for. :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have got one of these and so far it's been great :thumb:

It's ideal for the two of us but I suppose it depends how many you want to cook for. :Smile:

That thing is so good that although we have an all singing all dancing BBQ at home that cost as much as a small car and takes about the same amount of room up, we often use the 30 quid one by choice. Not only does it cook perfectly, it takes seconds to clean. Nothing worse than after a BBQ having to spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning the damn thing.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Broken Link Removed

Quite fancy getting one of these. It says hose and regulator required. Don't have any knowledge of BBQs so could someone post a link to the type of hose and regulator needed. Thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Quite fancy getting one of these. It says hose and regulator required. Don't have any knowledge of BBQs so could someone post a link to the type of hose and regulator needed. Thanks.

Just normal rubber gas hose and a regulator that fits whatever gas bottle you are using.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Broken Link Removed

We had one of those for years best BBQ we ever owned gave it my daughter who still has it and swears by it. Reason cos we had to have a Cadac :Doh: what a waste of money :cry: not a patch on the other. Maybe time to change now I've seen that link. Leave the Cadac in the garden and use it as a bird table. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back