Portable bbq (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
At the Peterborough show yesterday was looking at the cadac chef 2 and the cadac grillogas.
Was interested in grillo gas however at £150 it got me thinking.
How often would I actually want to Barby on it or do I just want to cook out.
In view case why don't I just get one or even two portable gas cooker stoves with disposable butane canister.
I can use all the pans I already own which are adequate
They are cheap and can get refills for circ £1 each.
Easy to use and certified easy to clean.

Anyone else use these instead of traditional bbqs? Such as cadac?

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Cadac isn't really a BBQ it's a gas grill
We've stopped using ours now as it was hopeless in a breeze
Bbq or grill when use with a pan on top all do same function

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Bbq or grill when use with a pan on top all do same function

That's why we now use one like this

Cooks hotter and quicker than a Cadac
It's got two burners so you can fry and boil at the same time
Plus the lid acts as a splash back and a wind break

IMG_7350.PNG

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
At the Peterborough show yesterday was looking at the cadac chef 2 and the cadac grillogas.
In view case why don't I just get one or even two portable gas cooker stoves with disposable butane canister.

Yes we use one of these and it has been very good, as you say you just use whatever pan you need to cook with. Nice and easy to set up, very little cleaning and quick to pack away. Think we got ours from Go Outdoors, cheap and cheerful but does the job brilliantly. With the money we saved it has gone into the drinks fund!!!(y):drinks:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I sold my cadac a few months ago and haven't missed it at all. I've a small cannister bbq and a 1 ring induction hob that I use now depending on whether on ehu or not.
Thank god, someone else agrees with me, every time I say they are rubbish I get about 50 replays saying they are gods gift.
We just use disposable bbqs now no hassle or cleaning, proper charcoal , less than a pound at most cheapo stores, use them and bin them, what more do you want.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have a twin gas burner .that we use the little gas canisters in . its great bought from seafloor at mh show last year
Cooks lovely cost about £30.00 .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

We just use the portable gas cooker and we also have an electric fryer thing which cost about £30.

Far less faffing about than with a BBQ.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The little stoves are great use ours a lot they are cheap as chips and easy to clean. They sometimes have them on special at aldi even cheaper and the canisters in packs. I recon you are looking at saving £135 a lot of wine and beer!!!! (and saving space and weight too)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just use one of those little gas hobs powered by the butane cannisters.

I have just bought a Cast Iron BBQ for £20 that the top lifts off to be a fire pit after you have finished cooking. There is nothing better than a BBQ followed by beers around an open fire (y)

My view is, if it doesn't run on charcoal or uses a pan it is not a BBQ . Never seen the point to a cadac myself as they are so expensive and are just in effect a gas hob with a built in pan?

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We tried and tried Cadacs, gave up in the end as they never worked. Then we go our Globecar campscout with an exterior gas fitting.

Tried one of of rejected Cadacs ancient now love it. It seems to be to do with the gas supply.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
That's what I have established, any wind and it's useless, in fact at a festival last year because of the wind blowing the plastic screw fitting attaching the legs melted (it must have pushed the flame down the alloy pipe ) and the whole thing collapsed whilst I was cooking
Rung Cadac and explained what happened, fair play they replaced the fitting but with another plastic one :eek:
Informed me it had never happened before :sneaky:
So I never use it if there's any wind

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Got to be careful near a bbq if youve got the wind!!!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We have a standard two burner camping gas, we have what they call here in France a Plancha which is a steel plate similar to this :

which we just put on top of the two burners. It then doubles up like a BBQ. By switching one of the burners off,you can cook on one side and keep the hot hot on the other side. And they are easy to keep clean.
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I use and highly recommend a Weber Q 1200 .. https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/weber-bbq/weber-q-bbq.html

For many years I scoffed at cooking on a gas barbie, "if it doesn't have charcoal it's not a barbie "

The Weber Q changed all that, now I wouldn't be bothered with the chore of lighting a charcoal barbie.. the barbie flavour comes form the juices burning on hot coals, in the Weber Q they are replaced by hot bars.. You can cook a whole chicken in it, heat up pies, or pizza or use with a hot plate to cook eggs etc

During our trips it is used every day, sometimes twice or three times.. It can be fuelled with gas from either a small Weber canister (not recommended, it's expensive) , free standing bottle or from a BBQ point on the van.. I use a Calor Patio bottle as I prefer cooking untethered from the motorhome. It is light enough to carry easily and has enough gas to last the season.. cheap it is not.. but will last a lifetime , stainless still burners, a cast iron griddle, in an aluminium body..

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
:):):):):)
I use and highly recommend a Weber Q 1200 .. https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/weber-bbq/weber-q-bbq.html

For many years I scoffed at cooking on a gas barbie, "if it doesn't have charcoal it's not a barbie "

The Weber Q changed all that, now I wouldn't be bothered with the chore of lighting a charcoal barbie.. the barbie flavour comes form the juices burning on hot coals, in the Weber Q they are replaced by hot bars.. You can cook a whole chicken in it, heat up pies, or pizza or use with a hot plate to cook eggs etc

During our trips it is used every day, sometimes twice or three times.. It can be fuelled with gas from either a small Weber canister (not recommended, it's expensive) , free standing bottle or from a BBQ point on the van.. I use a Calor Patio bottle as I prefer cooking untethered from the motorhome. It is light enough to carry easily and has enough gas to last the season.. cheap it is not.. but will last a lifetime , stainless still burners, a cast iron griddle, in an aluminium body..
Am with you on this.. The Weber Q range are brilliant.. We don't call ours a BBQ...it's an out door oven and grill :). We roast joints, birds, we can grill ( BBQ), cook pizza, vegetables and cakes.... Fantastic bit f kit, easy to clean and pack away. Can use a mini potable cylinder or calor bottle ( we now have an external gas point which makes life even easier.

Top bit of kit..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a son of hibachi ..
Real barbecue .. cleans itself pretty well and is pretty compact.

Sep 21, 2016
Stortford
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
Lotus grill for me. Had one three years and it is great. Have pizza stone/griddle attachment which works well. Only drawback is proprietary charcoal burns too hot so got to use their own coal.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Cadac does mussels, snails, roast chicken, pizza, paella and numerous other exotic dishes. I love mine, nothing quite looking some real bacon on it in an aire and having the French wondering what is going on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back