Jun 14, 2012
Pwllheli
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sine 2006
Hello Everyone,

I am slowly getting all the issues fixed with my 410D base! My next issue I think is related to an out of balance propshaft. I get a low vibration when accelerating from say 10mph to 30mph depending on the revs and get a judder through the pedal, floor and steering column which feels like it is coming from behind me. When I take my foot off the gas it goes away and when I am freewheeling down hill, but comes back in again when I put my foot on the gas. I also have a point when slowing down that I can hear/feel a slight vibration behind me, i.e. no foot on the gas but it is at a pretty narrow speed range say 10-15mph. At speed say over 50mph I also have a high speed buz which seems to excite the table and the hob cover to vibrate and generally gets on my nerves. I have checked the temperature of the prop shaft after a long run and it is not hot to the touch so I guess the CV joints are ok but I can see that some of the weights or strips of metal on the prop shaft have come away and others are peeling off. I also have an auto gearbox. Does this sound like a prop shaft out of balance probem?

Thanks for any help!v:Sad:

Gareth

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi you could try playing with a jubilee clip where you think the weights have come off . sometimes the thread bit tricks the balance . or try small coins under the clip.
we used a place in balham for staked in vw propshaft joints they balanced them there as well .but explained about the coin, clip system it can work . trial and error though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Gman1969

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Pwllheli
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sine 2006
Hi jhorsf/vwalan,

a flywheel that sounds like an expensive remedy. I have no idea how I would go about proving if it was balance, uj or the flywheel. All I can see by inspection only are the missing welded weights along the propshaft. How would we find out or is it a case of balance the propshaft first and during that process if the uj's are buggered replace them and then finally by elimination the flywheel?

I wonder how we fault find and remedy without fixing something unnecessary. I have had this problem since I bought the van 6 years ago but the vibration has got worse these last few months.

I guess the obvious question is how do I check the UJ's first? I could try clipping on coins with a jubilee clip to see if it the vibration changes and that is a good idea :RollEyes:

Cheers,

Gareth

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as it is more pronounced under load then i would say the UJ's are worn.

if it was the shaft it would vibrate whether under load or not, moreso at a particular speed.

easiest way to check UJ's at home is remove the shaft and feel the joints for play when twisting, pulling and pushing in a straight line and roughness when moved around its axis....there should be none of either in a healthy joint

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gman1969

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Pwllheli
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sine 2006
Another thing. When I put my foot rapidly on the accelerator I do get a clunk as the transmission engages. I also get it when in reverse. What could that be?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that clunk could be the diff needs adjusting . or could be uj,s . a good garage will soon find the fault .
it startedwith you being able to see where weights had dropped off . it could be that you just need to play putting some back. you could take the prop off get it to an engineering works and say balasnce or fix it . if weights are off they will spin it up and tell you yes it needs weights or it needs uj,s .
if the joints are clipped in its possible to do it yourself . but if you havent ever done one might be easier to let them .
heres doing it on the free camp in morocco. dodge 50 bus . cost 12 quid for new hardy spicer joints there .for both . luckily we knew how to do it.

Attachments

• P2250259.jpg
    P2250259.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42
  • P2250260.jpg
    P2250260.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 82

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Broken Link Removed

thats one hell of a way to do repairs Alan........

prop shaft, 'spicer' bearings, tools and vice sat in sand and dust :Doh:

the least they could do was lay down a blanket and work off that.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that s me .bob ,and gary that lives next to me here. bob was very gratefull we could do it . it worked . beggers cant be choosers in the desert .
bob bust his wrist the next year . had it plastered up in dakla for hundred quid . i cut the plaster off in spain 6 weeks later . we can fix most things if we have to .
survival is all you need . :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont know what was worse fixing bobs propshaft or welding my springs up that year.
bobs prop was fixed in the south later we took the track up dardes gourge . i bust my springs on the way down . but we made it . welded two in tinerhir .anotherup by al hoceima.
got 4 new ones made in malaga . what a year that was . life isnt easy.

Attachments

• P3050138.jpg
    P3050138.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 43
  • P3030022.jpg
    P3030022.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
G

Gman1969

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Pwllheli
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sine 2006
Wow that is what I call on the job repairs! I will take it to my local garage and have them check the Uj's for me. I will also take the mechanic for a spin so he can hear it and let him have a go at fixing the problem.

I will keep you all informed and I hope it is UJ's :Eeek:

Thanks,

Gareth

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes ever one is always interested . might help someone else one day . we try to be helpful .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the clunk you hear is shown in the second video clip...the two 'yolks' banging together.......but that is a real bad one and would be noisy well before its that worn.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Defo sounds like U/J's - they are easy to fit.

Hold the prop and joint in each had and try to rotate against each other, there should be no 'play' in the joint itself. Check the donut also, as if you have a seized joint, then it usually wears the donut (centre bearing) as well.

Joints should be greased weekly using a grease gun when in daily use, get away with monthly on a motorhome.

OP
OP
G

Gman1969

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Pwllheli
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sine 2006
Thanks everyone all the information and especially the youtube vids have been very useful. Anyone know of any good garages that can do this in the Gwynedd area?

Thanks,

Gareth

Terence

Free Member
Jun 27, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Prop shaft balence.
I have a 409 Mercedes and have experienced the same problem,between the rear U/V joint and the differential is a Stabilizer. It is in fact a balenced weight. Just replace it and your problem will dissapears.

Terence

Salmonfisher

Free Member
Jun 17, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Propshaft Rebalancing

Hey Gman. Idon't know if you have sorted your problem, or the age of your vehicle.But if it is a split propshaft, then it has a centre bearing and this may be at fault. You can change that. One things for sure you yourself can't balance it. Here in the West Midlands we have in Aldridge the BRD Company which is I think the former Hardy Spicer Company. They will re/ balance a propshaft for you.P/M me if you think I can help. John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back