Poreč Croatia - How long to get there, Best Route, Has anyone been? (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi,

Planning for 2021 possibly

Heading out of Zeebrugge in August 2021 (maybe Rotterdam).

Has anyone been please?

Quite fancy https://www.camping-adriatic.com/lanterna-camp-porec/pitch

Any idea of travel times please?

Looks Like a safe place for Holidays.
It depends on many factors but 2 long days driving from Calais is doable. We did it over 4 - 5 days but had mechanical issues and visited a few cities along the way. The route would depend on whether you want to see much on the way down... We went through Brussels, Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Lake Constance, Innsbruck, Ljubljana

Last edited:
OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It depends on many factors but 2 long days driving from Calais is doable. We did it over 4 - 5 days but had mechanical issues and visited a few cities along the way. The route would depend on whether you want to see much on the way down... We went through Brussels, Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Lake Constance, Innsbruck, Ljubljana

Like the sound of your route.

What were your mechanical issues ?

Anyone else?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Like the sound of your route.

What were your mechanical issues ?

Anyone else?
A puncture - the French garages we went to didn't have tyres that would fit our Bongo so it took longer to fix than we'd hoped. We ended up having to buy two new ones and they took time to arrive.

What time of year are you planning to go to Croatia? How long have you got for your holiday?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We went through Brussels, Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Lake Constance, Innsbruck, Ljubljana
Our route in 2016 kicked off in the same direction, but after Luxembourg, we headed for Switzerland crossing at Basel and making our way down to an overnighter at Lucerne. Next day saw us on the west shores of Lake Garda, and then down to Pescheria for a few days. We visited Venice, and avoided Slovenian tolls on the way into northern Croatia, via Isteria. We then hopped down as far as Split.

It's a trip we'd love to do again.............but not anytime soon. ☹️

Good luck Trev. 👍

Jock. 🙂

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
If you are just looking to get there rather than take a leisurely journey (I'm not a proper motorhomer - I just want to get me & my toys to my destination as quickly as possible)

I normally stop in Slovenia, so you have a bit further to go, I also use the Dover - Dunkirk ferry

My suggested route from Zeebrugge would be: Belgium - Germany (Cologne, Frankfurt, Nuremburg, Munich) - Austria (Saltzburg to Villach) through to Slovenia - then the E61 to Croatia

The journey is toll free until Austria where if below 3500kg you will need a vignette (go box if heavier) a toll at the Karawankentunnel and a vignette for Slovenia

It's about 900 miles mainly motorway/autobahn - so 15 hours without stopping should do it - simples🙂
As you will be travelling in August so there could well be traffic delays - if I am delayed, I pull into an Autohof and stay the night

You may want to take a more leisurely route, stop for fuel, sight seeing, sleeping, eating, etc - warning: don't drive tired. As suggested above, 2 long driving days should do it

Last edited:

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
We wombled down through Austria and northern Italy, then spent a day or so in Bled - nice site on the lake, then down the Dalmation coast. Krk is a must see, the old town is great, look up Camperstop Felix, it's a real hoot and a good place to stay for a couple of days. The main problem is that there are so many great places on any route down, you need to take your time. Our only disappointment was Plitvice, too commercial. We took a couple of weeks to get to Hvar, Jelsa is lovely so spent a week there, then a couple of days down to Albania, stopping at Krk on the way back, away for 6 weeks all told and missed loads of interesting places. Back next year hopefully to see Split...

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Vignette is available at the first stop from the Karawanken tunnel (or you can turn off at Jesenice and not use the motorway)

<Broken link removed>

For Austria, you can get a 'digital' one online (below 3500kg)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Vignette is available at the first stop from the Karawanken tunnel (or you can turn off at Jesenice and not use the motorway)

<Broken link removed>

For Austria, you can get a 'digital' one online (below 3500kg)

Thank you.

So, I don't have to have a Vignette (Like Austria) if I do not use motorways.

We are over 3,500Kg

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Our route in 2016 kicked off in the same direction, but after Luxembourg, we headed for Switzerland crossing at Basel and making our way down to an overnighter at Lucerne. Next day saw us on the west shores of Lake Garda, and then down to Pescheria for a few days. We visited Venice, and avoided Slovenian tolls on the way into northern Croatia, via Isteria. We then hopped down as far as Split.

It's a trip we'd love to do again.............but not anytime soon. ☹

Good luck Trev. 👍

Jock. 🙂

So, for toll free route (or avoiding go boxes)

Basel
Lucerne
Lake Garda
Pescheria
Isteria

?

Trev

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We visited the Istra region of Croatia in our European trip in 2014. There are some fabulous, memorable places to stray all along the coast. We became very fond of Novigrad and also visited Porec, Rovinj (Must see), Pula and Krk. My advice would be do it in May, there will be ACSI places available on some if not most of the Campsites that do ACSI (Very expensive otherwise) and the weather will be bearable north of 25 Deg.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
So, for toll free route (or avoiding go boxes)

Basel
Lucerne
Lake Garda
Pescheria
Isteria

?

Trev
Nearly Trev, ie, the Swiss route did involve producing our V5, and filling out a form at Basel, which allowed 10 x days Autobahn use in 12 x month period, which was the cheapest way to do it for us, (CHF 32.00) as we were coming back that way as well.

Rita and I chose Italian toll routes from Venice through to Trieste as they were very reasonable at the time, unlike French toll routes, and again from KRK down to near Split. The latter stretch was because much of the Croatian Motorway was under construction, and the diversions were horrendous sometimes, so when we had the chance of a decent open road, we took it, and the same coming back up that stretch. Things will have changed a bit since then though.

Here is the link to the route avoiding Slovenian Tolls, on the way into Croatia, which we took back then.

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You may want to consider a visit to Lake Bled & Ljubljana, its more or less on your route and two great places to visit.

IMG_4207.JPG
IMG_4213.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG
IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_5010.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG
IMG_5036.JPG
IMG_5043.JPG
IMG_5082.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5129.JPG
    IMG_5129.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5167.JPG
    IMG_5167.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5174.JPG
    IMG_5174.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 9

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Did you visit Lake Bohinj which is quieter and more tranquil than Lake Bled?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I did that trip over 50 years ago and still think about it now , it was fantastic with a bunch of friends a great time was had by all .maybe we could do it again one day 🙂

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No! Perhaps on next visit.
Lake Bled appeared to be surrounded by hotels, cafes and big houses - it looked nice from what we saw but quite busy and expensive. Lake Bohinj had (2007) much more tranquility and a campsite right on the lake but no cafes etc.
Swimming-Lake-Bohinj.jpg.optimal.jpg

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Nearly Trev, ie, the Swiss route did involve producing our V5, and filling out a form at Basel, which allowed 10 x days Autobahn use in 12 x month period, which was the cheapest way to do it for us, (CHF 32.00) as we were coming back that way as well.

Rita and I chose Italian toll routes from Venice through to Trieste as they were very reasonable at the time, unlike French toll routes, and again from KRK down to near Split. The latter stretch was because much of the Croatian Motorway was under construction, and the diversions were horrendous sometimes, so when we had the chance of a decent open road, we took it, and the same coming back up that stretch. Things will have changed a bit since then though.

Here is the link to the route avoiding Slovenian Tolls, on the way into Croatia, which we took back then.

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Reminded me of Rita, Sue and Bob too !

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I guess a lot can change in 14 years !

Yes but maybe less around Bohinj as it is in a protected area / National Park and Lake Bled is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Last edited:

Tonysswift

Free Member
Jun 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bellero
Exp
We have a friend, who renovated the old town hall in porec, we have been there many times, and tried all the different routes mentioned, it’s popular with the Italians, the old town has great restaurants, and take your walking boots. One of our best trips was to drive from Porec to Dubrovnik, great trip, encountering Lakes, mountain ranges, Bosnia, and coastal roads. It’s listed as one of the top drives in the world, you won’t be disappointed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back