maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I don't think it's a negative response, I tend to use it when I can see a good old banter is going to kick off.
At best it could probably be classed as a ‘neutral’ reaction if used in that context. It’s certainly not positive as it does nothing to affirm the post it is attached to, whereas the other reactions do. So what is the point of it?

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
I use it in the sense of "get the popcorn out" and sit back ready to be "entertained" by the comments that follow. Jim has built this site to be for FUN, hence the bulk of symbols are of the uptick variety. Sometimes I'm tempted to wish for a "disagree" or even a "groan" button - best not though, may lead to open warfare.

I tend to use the heart hug for situations where something or someone has been damaged or broken (from a heart to a MH) or had a bit of poor luck.

Popcorn ready - incoming!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I use it in the sense of "get the popcorn out" and sit back ready to be "entertained" by the comments that follow. Jim has built this site to be for FUN, hence the bulk of symbols are of the uptick variety. Sometimes I'm tempted to wish for a "disagree" or even a "groan" button - best not though, may lead to open warfare.

I tend to use the heart hug for situations where something or someone has been damaged or broken (from a heart to a MH) or had a bit of poor luck.

Popcorn ready - incoming!
Personally, I'm not sure a groan emoji would be negative. It would largely be used in reaction to jokes that the poster knows full well will cause that reaction!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It’s got me thinking - when did the ‘popcorn/dustbin’ reaction actually first appear? Perhaps Gromett will know? I’m guessing it was during one of the forum upgrades. When I first saw it I thought it was a dustbin and had to hover over it (I think) to discover it was supposed to be popcorn. :RollEyes:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It’s got me thinking - when did the ‘popcorn/dustbin’ reaction actually first appear? Perhaps Gromett will know? I’m guessing it was during one of the forum upgrades. When I first saw it I thought it was a dustbin and had to hover over it (I think) to discover it was supposed to be popcorn. :RollEyes:
Yes it was then when the spanner 'useful' symbol was discontinued.

Reactions: maz
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No idea sorry. I don't do any of the forum side of things. Jim is the man to ask...

I think it has been around for quite some time though.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Am I the only one who dislikes the use of the ‘popcorn’ reaction to threads?

View attachment 482865

All the other reaction options are positive. Not only does the ‘popcorn’ look like a dustbin, it seems to generally be used in that context as well.

Fully expecting an incoming volley of ‘popcorn’ reactions. :rofl:
Is that what it is !

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t really know why it’s used. To me it seems to be used if someone doesn’t have anything constructive to add to the thread. I’m not sure why popcorn either but that might be because I don’t like it so never eat it.
It is because popcorn is associated with watching films at the cinema. It means you're settling in for a few hours to watch something fun.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Without pop corn sales together with chocs and fizzy drinks, there wouldn't be any cinemas to watch films in...

(Chocolate covered Brazil nuts are my favourite.)

JJ :cool:
The last DP inspection I did of a cinema there was one person watching the film. Yes one, there were three staff working. I did ask if it would have been cheaper to buy him the dvd and send him home to watch.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
tenor.gif

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes it was then when the spanner 'useful' symbol was discontinued.

Strange that as we’ve always called people a spanner when they don’t come out with the most sensible comments 😊

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I could have done with this one a few times in the past. :giggle:

View attachment 482981
You're SO last season ... :oops:. 2021 is the Year of the WTAF, because that signifies that it is not a trivial matter that we confront, but WT Absolute F ...
Whilst still working in the Bank, a new savings product was launched, but the account opening procedures failed. Updated procedures were rushed out overnight, so I briefed the staff again. The revised procedures also failed, so a 3rd set of instructions was issued, so I wrote 'WTFH!' on what was an official Bank Circular. Well, I didn't know that the District Manager would drop in unannounced 'for a quick chat' and he saw the offending Circular.
'And what, pray, Stephen, does WTFH signify?'
'Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Holiday?' I proffered
'Don't do it again!'

Steve

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
It is used to indicate that you believe that there is going to be a fight that will be sufficiently amusing and long lasting to watch that it is worth eating popcorn whilst watching. Typically indicated by a GIF of Michael Jackson eating popcorn in a cinema.

Usually used when a controversial, but frequently discussed, topic is brought up, such as dumping grey water in fields, or FLTs getting tables out on the seafront and staying for three weeks.
So useful, I had no idea!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Am I the only one who dislikes the use of the ‘popcorn’ reaction to threads?

View attachment 482865

All the other reaction options are positive. Not only does the ‘popcorn’ look like a dustbin, it seems to generally be used in that context as well.

Fully expecting an incoming volley of ‘popcorn’ reactions. :rofl:
At best it could probably be classed as a ‘neutral’ reaction if used in that context. It’s certainly not positive as it does nothing to affirm the post it is attached to, whereas the other reactions do. So what is the point of it?
To me popcorn can indicate that someone is not sure how a comment that has been posted will be received by others so could elicit some likely and interesting discussion but more likely to end up with loads of silliness ... this thread is a prime example. :giggle:

A bit like someone saying "wait for it .... wait for it ............... here we go!".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back