Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We only joined yesterday, so apologies in advance if I am posting in the wrong place.

Anyway, to cut a long story short....we have a poorly sick motorhome and stuck in Harstad, Norway. I need to get to Tromso airport (craig staying with the mh) and wondered if anyone knew the best way to get to Tromso from Harstad. I need to get home urgently as a friend of ours had some bad news with cancer. Secondly, anyone know about temperature sensor failing on a mercedes sprinter 3l 2012 model?

Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Can't help unfortunately but just wanted to wish you and your friend all the best, I'm sure someone will be along soon with the answer you need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We only joined yesterday, so apologies in advance if I am posting in the wrong place.

Anyway, to cut a long story short....we have a poorly sick motorhome and stuck in Harstad, Norway. I need to get to Tromso airport (craig staying with the mh) and wondered if anyone knew the best way to get to Tromso from Harstad. I need to get home urgently as a friend of ours had some bad news with cancer. Secondly, anyone know about temperature sensor failing on a mercedes sprinter 3l 2012 model?

Thank you in advance for your help
Why not use Narvik airport much closer and quite a good service.

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A bit of feedback to the group...in case anyone else ever uses the service. The speed boat ferry from Harstad to Tromso was excellent. Very clean catamaran with small refreshement area. The views along the coastline were stunning and it took just over 3 hours. Cost 610nok, which is just over £50.
Now sat in Tromso airport awaiting the next leg of my 30 hour journey back home.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A bit of feedback to the group...in case anyone else ever uses the service. The speed boat ferry from Harstad to Tromso was excellent. Very clean catamaran with small refreshement area. The views along the coastline were stunning and it took just over 3 hours. Cost 610nok, which is just over £50.
Now sat in Tromso airport awaiting the next leg of my 30 hour journey back home.
Have a safe trip back. As for the temperature sensor, it is notoriously difficult to diagnose faults at a distance. Of course if it is the sensor which has failed then it just needs replacing but how sure are you this is the fault? It might just be a bad connection somewhere. The vehicle probably needs plugging into a diagnostic machine.

However, where you are is a bit remote. Do you have breakdown cover?

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you. We are at a Mercedes dealer and they have run all the diagnostics and diagnosed the temp sensor and dpf. We debated the option of returning home or having the repair in Norway and decided on repair as we still have several months of travel plans. My poor husband is with the MH...albeit is bits x

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A new dpf is likely to be very expensive. I believe you can get after market ones but not from a Mercedes dealer I fear.

It might be worth starting a new thread with the specific title of Mercedes Sprinter dpf and see what advice you can get. For example it might be possible to just change the sensor then give the engine a good thrashing. In the UK you could probably get the dpf bypassed but this may require electronic changes - but this has certainly been done on a Fiat. @Techno on here has done it very successfully.

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My husband did a blog entry last night with all the details. It certainly is expensive. Thanks for help and support x

Reactions: DBK

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
We hope your travels go well and safe for you,if you find your self's in sweden on your travels and need any help just contact us! and if you find you are in our region and near to us pop in and have cuppa our region is Ragunda in the county of jämtland, safe travels to you,regards AlfandM.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In the UK you could probably get the dpf bypassed but this may require electronic changes - but this has certainly been done on a Fiat. @Techno on here has done it very successfully.

If don't have a dpf and never did

Last edited:

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Glad to hear your homeward travel is now on its way, hope u can sort the van soon.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Hi @Our Bumble,

Sorry to hear of your problems and in particular the reason for your needing to return (vehicles can be fixed, people not always); it seems trivial in comparison but I would like to say that your blog is amongst the most professional and engaging I have ever seen.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
whats a DPF ? ..... NOOB alert :D

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi @Our Bumble,

Sorry to hear of your problems and in particular the reason for your needing to return (vehicles can be fixed, people not always); it seems trivial in comparison but I would like to say that your blog is amongst the most professional and engaging I have ever seen.
Ditto the above, blog is providing a good read and some travel ideas. Hope the van issue gets resolved and your able to assist your friends.

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi everyone thank you so much for your kind words x x x

Sadly my friend passed away but I did manage to see him in time. So big thank you to everyone who helped me find a way to get home.

The motorhome is now fixed and I managed to get a return flight on Friday, so now back to bumbling around Europe x

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry to hear about your Friend , at least you made it in time to say goodbye :(
Enjoy the rest of your travels ><

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back