Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
My van has just been in to my local Garage for it's MOT and intermediate service. Considering at it's last service I had cause to complain as on collecting it one of the Electric Mirrors switch was not now working correctly following part of the work being to repair the Electric window mechanism and I found a scratch on the side of the vehicle. Following discussion both problems were finally put right even though on first taking the vehicle back the Mechanics attitude was, well how often do you use the wing mirror control does it matter.?
On this occasion on collection the van I am told the rear Marker lights of which there are four, two were not working but as the other two did this was ok for the MOT. They then went onto inform me that they had not repaired the two because the screws holding the light on were corroded and it may cause problems to remove them. No problem I said I have bought new screws as i was aware the originals were corroded I would see to that myself. Oh and we also had to adjust your headlights they were also out of sequence for the MOT.
In a hurry paid my bill and left, noticed first of all on driving home i was almost bouncing down the road. Checked the paper work, tyre pressures all set to 71 should be 55. cost to align lights and labour £39.50. Climb up to rear marked lights first one head sheared off holding screw second one completely mangled. Rang Garage where i was simply told the Mechanic had informed them he could not do the Marker lights as the head of a screw was sheared off ( Not what I was told) over the cost of the headlight work ring back Monday when the member of staff will be back at work. Anyway following paying a total bill of £280 have spent 4 hours drilling out the offending screws and designing a new fitting. What you call a bad day at the office. Oh and to add to that found a front sidelight out ( Fuse blown)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Wondering why you used this garage again after your problems last time, but realise it might be the only nearby one which will MOT a motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lee27

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644GL
Exp
since 2007
they could have "spent 4 hours drilling out the offending screws and designing a new fitting" and charged an extra £50+ per hour (£200.00+) on top, i suppose.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm with Sue and Jenny, why go back there? (n)

To stop this I always check lights and levels before mot time, less for them to fail it on.

OP
OP
Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Thanks for the replies had been using this Garage for 7 years no problems until the last 2 and yes next Garage who deal with Motorhomes some distance away. I was almost sure the Marker lights were not part of the MOT and as this seems to be correct why were they working on them anyway. I wondered if anybody has any experience of the cost of having lights levelled as this seems rather expensive as to get at mine remove 4 screws.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well I do wonder why this cropped up as most vehicles have a levelling dial in the cab. It's really to lower the beam if you have a lot of weight on the back or are towing something.
From start to finish of your post I think you were ripped off. :(

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I really do feel your pain as there is nothing worse in the automotive sense than a trusted garage going down the pan .
Get your snags sorted out and then move on , find another garage , in my experience once shot these places never get their shit back together .
Good luck !

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Got two new rear shock absorbers fitted to the Volvo last month, noticed it was starting to clunk again on speed bumps, just had a quick look underneath and they've both pissed out all their oil. Back to the garage tomorrow and I know there'll be no hassle, but I will question his choice of supplier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back