LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well I know these aren't very good photos, extreme zoom on a bog-standard camera, but a nice couple of sightings from the bridge by the campsite in Wooler
IMG_4571.JPG
IMG_4572.JPG

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Nice birds those Dippers & Tree Creepers.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@CWH if we'd known you were in Wooler we would have come to bug you say hello.

If you need somewhere to park just a little further north give us a pm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Nice birds those Dippers & Tree Creepers.
We seem to keep coming across dippers in towns; we saw 2 just at the side of the road in Inverness, another in Hawkshead...
Treecreepers make me laugh, they always look so humpty-backed. I was quite pleased I managed to get it in shot, they move around so fast!
There's also owls, lapwings, and oystercatchers around.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
quite unusual to see a tree creeper facing the right way up, they seem to creep down more than up (y)

nothing wrong with those photos, fast moving birds (which is pretty much all of them) are hard to get in frame and focus :)

been trying to get a Chifchaff in our garden to stand still for about an hour now

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
quite unusual to see a tree creeper facing the right way up, they seem to creep down more than up (y)

nothing wrong with those photos, fast moving birds (which is pretty much all of them) are hard to get in frame and focus :)

been trying to get a Chifchaff in our garden to stand still for about an hour now

When I was a wee lad, the teenage girl that baby-sat me said that I could get birds to standstill if I put salt on their tales ... she then sat back, picked up her magazine & cuppa and vaguely watched me scamper around the garden trying to do that. I'm not sure that I fell for it completely but running about was a bit more exciting than the alternatives of being stuck inside doing what ever 5 year olds did back in the olden days before endless childrens' TV and computer games.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
And got this little chappie today just out into the hills (there was a pair, the other one a bit far for my camera) snacking on insects - MISTLE thrush

IMG_4581.JPG

... and then back in town, a baby SONG thrush being fed - is this not a bit early for northern Northumberland?

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
For the birdies amongst you, if you find yourself in southern Spain around early April, the migration of raptors is an exciting thing to see ... we saw a dozen or so booted eagles, several short toed eagles, a harrier, bee eaters along with resident griffon vultures and a little owl during an afternoon drive not far from Casares - we didn't get any photos though :(

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
not very compliant these birds

I find it is always best to shoot them stuff them and then they stay still for longer......

joking apart I noticed a blue tit down on the ground feeding like the Bull Finches and Robins do, I thought how unusual, he didn't fly away when I opened the door.

I approached him, he looked up at me, I crouched down beside him and managed to cup my hands and hold him.

Twas then that Jackie told me he had just flown into the glass door, I opened my hands and he flew to a bush a few feet away where he stayed for about ten minutes then he flew back to the feeder and began eating the seeds again.

I assume he was just dazed for a while.

Last edited:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
At the moment around the house (and camperstop) we've got a pairs of nesting Kestrels, Little Owls, Rednecked Nightjars, Golden Orioles, Hoopoes, Green Woodpeckers, Cuckoos, Bee Eaters, Linnets and various other LBJ's. The Great Spotted Cuckoos have now moved on we think

In the mountains on our recent walks we've seen Griffon Vultures, booted eagles, short toed eagle's and golden eagles.

20160421_181215.jpg

A poor pic of the male Golden Oriole taken through the living room window with a mobile phone.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That's good. They are supposed to be very shy but it looks as if they are displaying so might have been distracted.
Yes they had sex on their minds so didn't notice us there were six of them.

Reactions: DBK

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I find it is always best to shoot them stuff them and then they stay still for longer......

joking apart I noticed a blue tit down on the ground feeding like the Bull Finches and Robins do, I thought how unusual, he didn't fly away when I opened the door.

I approached him, he looked up at me, I crouched down beside him and managed to cup my hands and hold him.

Twas then that Jackie told me he had just flown into the glass door, I opened my hands and he flew to a bush a few feet away where he stayed for about ten minutes then he flew back to the feeder and began eating the seeds again.

I assume he was just dazed for a while.
@Popeye the bird whisperer!!:LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
these are odd birds, thought they were only found on the western isles but did see some on mainland this time, this one is on Lewis today though

IMG_1144.JPG

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Seen loads of hooded crows all over N and W Scotland. Our first ones were Inverness.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back