Poor Breakdown Recovery Service? (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You keep saying that I didn't have a spare wheel. That is untrue.

And there was a jack, it just didn't work.

but you said the spare was not servicable, so in effect no spare. as for the jack not working, thats why you practice changing a wheel before you need to rely on it. the standard fiat jack though is pretty useless on a coachbuilt motorhome, so many carry a 4 tonne bottle jack. takes less space and works

i can understand you being angry, as most people dont like others pointing out the obvious after the event. i expect that youve learnt an expensive lesson from your misadventure and wont get caught out again

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
You keep saying that I didn't have a spare wheel. That is untrue.

And there was a jack, it just didn't work.

But the spare was faulty, by your own admission, so you did not leave with everything "100%" then did you? Same the with jack -again you said you left with everything "100%" - if neither a jack nor the spare are in proper working condition, then the van is not "100%" for a transcontinental trip in my book.....

My point is not about having a go at anyone who has hit adversity as you did -foreign countries can be pretty user-unfriendly to Brits abroad, as you found to your cost. But if you either do not have the tools /spare, or they are themselves not in good order, then its not the Breakdown Services fault that you are further delayed or spend a fortune on new tyres. The presence of, or the Condition of the spare wheel and tyre, and the tools needed to change it, is important but often overlooked, until you hit a set of circumstances as you experienced.

Hope it doesn't happen to you again and glad it worked out ok in the end, but I don't see how the Breakdown Service can be to blame, however much nepotism and corruption you think was involved - you did set yourself up for a potential problem by not carrying serviceable tools /wheel/tyre, which you could have avoided entirely.

Some regular transcontinental visitors even carry two tyres to avoid problems in the likes of Spain, France, Portugal and Morocco.........:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for the positive replies.

Unfortunately, due to the ignorance of some people, they made ill-informed assumptions that were way off the mark.

This happens a lot. We can only comment on what you tell us so if you don't tell the full story we will jump to the wrong conclusions.

No need to get upset, given the facts the comments were made to help you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes ,i accept some cant change their own wheels . many could be a disabled driver etc . but having correct tools to change it is a priority in my belief .
in the first post it sounded like op knew about the punctured spare . even checking the spare is a regular check to make .
i certainly wouldnt be going abroad with out a real good check . and correct tools .
as for me i,m disabled wear both legs in modern plastic calipers but struggle on . when i cant change my own wheels i might decide to give up driving vehicles .
as for being a young whipper snapper i wish i was . ha ha .

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I totally agree and I did ask the RAC man to make absolutely certain the existing alloy wheel bolts would be ok on the steel rim.

However, as you rightly say, anyone buying a steel aftermarket steel wheel for a spare should check this point.

My MH has a steel spare and I have a set of extra bolts to use with it - bit of a pain if they ever go missing!

Definitely worth checking your spare, your jack and your wheel brace, and whether or not the spare can be fitted without needing a different set of bolts. I know its checking something boring which we all hope we will never need, but its worth while :Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the standard fiat jack though is pretty useless on a coachbuilt motorhome

I've used ours a few times, twice for emergencies, no problem. Naturally I'd prefer a trolly jack but that's not an option.

Bottle jack ? "Takes less space", I'm all ears, can you show me one. Our kit lives happily under the passenger seat. I'm all for improvements.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Ditch the original Fiat jack, buy a bottle jack and it can also be used for site levelling.
Slide the jack under a lower axle ,give a couple of pumps , now level on site , better than ramps:thumb:
Leave the jack handle on the drivers seat though , so you don`t try to drive off:Eeek:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Now that is useless in the FIAT kit. One of the first things I bought was an extending bar. And a small compressor and tubeless repair kit.

Now that is useless in the FIAT kit. One of the first things I bought was an extending bar. And a small compressor and tubeless repair kit.

Exactly - quite a few vehicles end up with useless jacks and hopeless wheel spanners these days, if indeed you even have them supplied at all - motorhomes no different, some manufacturers just leave the base vehicle jack and spanner and as said, useless for motorhomes usually. Its a good idea to take stock of the spare, the jack etc and ensure they are all appropriate for use on your motorhome, nothing like "thinking" you have a spare and a jack, only to find that no-one can fit the wheel as the jack is useless and the brace doesn't work either as it needs an extension bar. :Eeek:

On another note, I had Tyron bands fitted a few years ago when we bought the van- I always liked the idea of being able to get oneself to a safe place with a puncture as the Tyron bands are intended to do. Not sure what the current thinking is on them, will have to consider if its worth having them fitted again when my tyres are changed in the next year or two!

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Ditch the original Fiat jack, buy a bottle jack and it can also be used for site levelling.
Slide the jack under a lower axle ,give a couple of pumps , now level on site , better than ramps:thumb:
Leave the jack handle on the drivers seat though , so you don`t try to drive off:Eeek:

Nooooooooooooo!!!

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

i,m with jonner 0n this 1 i carry 2 millenco levels for front, if need 2 lift rear of van use 1 of my 2 bottle jacks -1 ton/3-ton,standard jack in garage tried don,t like it, 2 much mucking about,bottle jack under few pumps [job done] had 16" spare since new realised i am on 15s sold spare 2 suggy now looking for 15 before going abroad also carry blow up repair kit,trailer still running with it in,even the most organised and well prepared get caught out some-times,:Eeek:

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I can't be bothered to answer all individually, but the spare WAS OK when I left home. The slow puncture developed during first week in France.

Right, that's sorted now :winky:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Don't take offence, Yorick - take advice, it is easier, less stressful and beneficial to you.

I apologise if you (Or anyone else) found my reply harsh sounding. I say things as they are.

But the advice stands - Checked everything and had a go, you would have seen the jack was useless, and you would need a second one anyway.

Joined here and asked members what they would advise, and you would know about the jeck without stretching a muscle.

Either way, You would have had suitable equipment on board for the recovery guy to change it for you at the scene, which would save the sleep overs roadside, and so on. Possibly enabling you to change a tyre at a place of your choosing, and no hassle on your holiday.

As I say, you learn something new every day - so nice, some not so nice.

Not having a go, and I am well aware the horse has bolted. But you know for next time - to ensure their won't be a next time!:thumb:

Now, go and buy two jacks, and come and have some fun - we'll put a smile back on your face!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back