LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Thinking of getting Gaslow fitted to our van when we get it. I've been reading up a bit on Gaslow and quite fancy the idea. However, from what I can gather, Autogas is a mix of propane and butane of varying quantities so my question is can the butane still freeze? What's the solution/ work around? So is Gaslow worth it?
Thanks in advance.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
When you say Easy, Brian ... do you mean me easy or will it cost me a fortune to have it done?:Smile: (This is a genuine question):Smile:

if you can use an electric drill to fit the filling point and a spanner to tighten hoses, its a very simple job to do. virtually the same as changing a cylinder as far as plumbing goes. i would say allow 2 hours but easily done in 1

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
When you say Easy, Brian ... do you mean me easy or will it cost me a fortune to have it done?:Smile: (This is a genuine question):Smile:

you will need to capable enough to use basic DIY tools and have a couple of drills and a hole cutter of the correct size. route the hoses and the rest is similar to replacing refillable bottles.

you will of course need to test for leaks after installation, but that is quite simple also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Instead of drilling the bodywork you could, if you have enough room, fit the bracket inside the door (top left of picture) – that's how I fitted it to my Knaus.

Mine had the Gaslow at the back of the locker and a back up 6kg Calor bottle at the front - just in case the Gaslow ran out.

:france::france::france:

Attachments

• Gaslow Fit.jpg
    Gaslow Fit.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
HI MINX RE (OTHERS?)
Read Mojo's post....... More about cylinders

There is one of the (Others) Don't shoot the messenger.
Two tips i can give,if you phone Gas Low,a nice lady will send you a certificate of "Conformity ?? in French ,secondly allways fill y0ur Gas first,as if you filll with diesel first,it arouses suspicion when you move to the lpg/gpl point.
I will allways try to be of help,you never know,one day i might be wanting help myself.
Tea Bag
PS. It was 2009 when we had G/Low fitted,there was a thread going on then about refusals,and it was suggested to get the French version/spec,from G/Low in writing to show,Whoever.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
As a new owner myself, I have considered fitting the gas low or similar to our Voyageur. With so many positive comments, I hate to be the probably ignorant party pooper, BUT here in Spain, auto gas is fairly rare to find, and in addition friends have said that you use so little gas that the payback time is ages. I decided to stick with the standard system on advice from my local dealer, and having seen the system, the pipework looked a nightmare.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As a new owner myself, I have considered fitting the gas low or similar to our Voyageur. With so many positive comments, I hate to be the probably ignorant party pooper, BUT here in Spain, auto gas is fairly rare to find, and in addition friends have said that you use so little gas that the payback time is ages. I decided to stick with the standard system on advice from my local dealer, and having seen the system, the pipework looked a nightmare.

nothing complicated about the plumbing side. the cylinder has 2 hoses, one to the standard regulator, the other to the filler point. adding a second cylinder means adding 2 more to match with tee pieces

agreed autogas places in spain are limited, but offset that with warm weather meaning you need less gas. i doubt it would be beneficial to anyone living in spain. mind you the convenience of not having to lift full cylinders of gas again and it looks better.

what suits one will never suit all

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

if we never did anything that didnt pay none of us would have motor homes, sometimes convenience is worth a lot esecially as you get older

Upvote 0

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would not go for Gaslow as I have had many problems with leaks around the screw thread that goes into the actual bottle. This should be tested to a big pressure in the factory. Well it is in NZ and has to be retested every 10 years. Major quality control issue and it is dangerous to come out from the factory leaking. Would go for the gasit option. I love the system as I go all over Europe and uk and it is always cheap and easy to refill.

Upvote 0

Yorkshire Lad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
York
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011. Motorbike + tent before
Gaslow advantage

I have found the greatest advantage with Gaslow is being able to fill half empty cylinders when convenient rather than agonise about wringing the last drop out of a returnable cylinder or accept the loss of giving back gas. Never had any problems filling here or in Europe.

Upvote 0

morrisgapyear

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
lowline coachbuilt
Exp
waiting for the old man to retire, but enjoyig weekends and holidays away as often as possible
Gaslow for newbies

Never considered anything else when we bought Monty. Have gone for external filler and spare connector for external bottle if we can't fill up at a station. Only problem we have found are the fillers at uk fuel stations. In comparison to French ones, they are awkward to use and you have to be aware of the time limit before they refuse to fill. France - totally simple. French adaptor screws into Gaslow filler and French filler clips into this. Sooo much cheaper and convenient for silver gap year travellers than heavy bottles. Not cheap to purchase and have professionally installed, but you can't always measure pleasure and convenience by its cost. Never had any issues with filling at French supermarkets. I just let them assume we are dual fuel.

Upvote 0

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Gaslo

Thanks all. Looks like a goer then!!!!!

My van has gaslo and I have the 2 bottles system, i also have 3 adaptors so can fuel up in europe, uk, and the other one. (cant remember).

I used to have a gas propelled transit in the middle 70s never had problems with it in the coldest weather in Scotland.
robi

Upvote 0

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
This is the 11kg Gaslow and 6kg Calor system with a manual switch over in my 'new' MH ........

:france::france::france:

Attachments

• Gaslow System 3.jpg
    Gaslow System 3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Gaslow

Go for it but it's worth looking for a used system I bought a twin 6kg set for the same price as a new single bottle system,it was in really good nick and so easy to install and auto gas is only around £8 for a 6kg cylinder refill.
Found mine on Caravan Club classifieds.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
gaslow is great as are any of the fixed refillable types.
I have a single 11kg fitted on my van although I personally think that I would have been better with a larger under slung tank.

if you remain static for months then it can be more convenient to get 1 refillable and keep with the calor option as it is normally available on site.

I am currently on a calor 13kg and will refil the gaslow when the van goes for its MOT in the next couple of weeks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back