Polishing the roof (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Hi Charlie, wish I'd read your answers before I went to Halfords and spent £30 on maguirs. But hey it sounds like good stuff still. Very informative of the difference between polish and wax. Thanks.
Just need my motorhome back to wax it now. Can't wait.
Hi Dub Dog. I don't think you will be disappointed with Maguiar's. Beauty is in the eye of the waxer (lol). You may have read my follow-up post. I will let you know how I go on with Collinite, on a different vehicle. The Mazda still looks beautiful. Hope the MH is sorted quickly. Regards, Mike

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Dub Dog. I don't think you will be disappointed with Maguiar's. Beauty is in the eye of the waxer (lol). You may have read my follow-up post. I will let you know how I go on with Collinite, on a different vehicle. The Mazda still looks beautiful. Hope the MH is sorted quickly. Regards, Mike

It's not so much buauty is the durability that counts.

On beauty well it's very debatable..

I used to travel Europe to Detailing meets where I used to do Machine polishing demonstrations. At one of the meets we had a pre prepared well polished car. On each individual panel we used a different wax with waxes from 20 quid up to and I exaggerate not several thousands. Google expensive car wax and be amazed !!!

So at the meet could anyone tell the expensive waxed panels from the mega expensive stuff ????? Not on your nelly.... honestly wax cannot really change the apppearance only enhance it. Make it shine make it slick but the top costing stuff dis nowt more than the cheap stuff .

I have a fair collection of waxes ranging from 20 quid a tub up to 450 a tub Zymol being the dear stuff Colinite the cheap one. Both will give an equal finish albiet at different cost but Colinite will outlast Zymol several times over.

The most expensive wax ever ??? £100.000 yes that's right one hundred grand. Fools and their money eh ? Talk about more money than sence !!

OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Can't believe people or should I say idiots pay thousands for wax. Madness.
All I want is something to protect by beautiful MH and keep it looking shinny and new and protected for a long time. Tried the maguirs tonight on my VW tonight and I must admit the shine is deep. Will see how the rain responds as I've done one back door in wax and one in polish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have used mequiars and it is good stuff but Collys will last a lot longer

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
It's not so much buauty is the durability that counts.

On beauty well it's very debatable..

I used to travel Europe to Detailing meets where I used to do Machine polishing demonstrations. At one of the meets we had a pre prepared well polished car. On each individual panel we used a different wax with waxes from 20 quid up to and I exaggerate not several thousands. Google expensive car wax and be amazed !!!

So at the meet could anyone tell the expensive waxed panels from the mega expensive stuff ????? Not on your nelly.... honestly wax cannot really change the apppearance only enhance it. Make it shine make it slick but the top costing stuff dis nowt more than the cheap stuff .

I have a fair collection of waxes ranging from 20 quid a tub up to 450 a tub Zymol being the dear stuff Colinite the cheap one. Both will give an equal finish albiet at different cost but Colinite will outlast Zymol several times over.

The most expensive wax ever ??? £100.000 yes that's right one hundred grand. Fools and their money eh ? Talk about more money than sence !!
Hi. I've ordered Collinite. I'll let you know what I think of the results. Regards, Mike

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We've discovered that our roof is covered in a greasy surface that would appear to be air borne from a local factory (from where we live.)
Before any polishing takes place I'll have to go up there and give it a good fettling when I get home.
But that will happen after I fire a letter off to the MD of the Company. He may have to make a contribution.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
We've discovered that our roof is covered in a greasy surface that would appear to be air borne from a local factory (from where we live.)
Before any polishing takes place I'll have to go up there and give it a good fettling when I get home.
But that will happen after I fire a letter off to the MD of the Company. He may have to make a contribution.
Hi. Why not a friendly phone call to Customer Service or Public Relations and explain the situation in a calm considered manner. You may not be the first person affected and they might have procedures already in place. The company may be very understanding and react accordingly. A letter to the MD may be needed if things can't be settled. Try the softly softly approach first is my recommendation.
Regards Mike

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thank you for your comments.

The Company mentioned are very much into 'Keeping the locals happy' but from my perspective that is a smokescreen designed to keep the 'Immediate, ' (and by that I mean those with direct eyeline sight of the plant) happy.
I will not go off 'on one' but, when faced with a Company who fit scrubbing and and ventilation systems on the roof immediately opposite housing when they had the opportunity of installing the same machinery 400 mtrs away I think I can judge how they view their responsibilities.

I have had disturbed nights sleep from processes incurring at the premises that have only been removed after several nights following a visit at 2.30am.

I would point out that geographically we are talking Cornwall here, not a large conurbation.

I genuinely appreciate your advice @caravantugger but after a lifetime of being 'Piggy in the middle' (literally) to arguments, assaults, disputes, and downright antisocial behaviour, you will be pleased to know that I will deal with this problem, along with the noise and the airborne grease on the back windows of the house in a calm, considered manner.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Thank you for your comments.

The Company mentioned are very much into 'Keeping the locals happy' but from my perspective that is a smokescreen designed to keep the 'Immediate, ' (and by that I mean those with direct eyeline sight of the plant) happy.
I will not go off 'on one' but, when faced with a Company who fit scrubbing and and ventilation systems on the roof immediately opposite housing when they had the opportunity of installing the same machinery 400 mtrs away I think I can judge how they view their responsibilities.

I have had disturbed nights sleep from processes incurring at the premises that have only been removed after several nights following a visit at 2.30am.

I would point out that geographically we are talking Cornwall here, not a large conurbation.

I genuinely appreciate your advice @caravantugger but after a lifetime of being 'Piggy in the middle' (literally) to arguments, assaults, disputes, and downright antisocial behaviour, you will be pleased to know that I will deal with this problem, along with the noise and the airborne grease on the back windows of the house in a calm, considered manner.
Hi again. Sorry to hear the company are such a bunch of assholes. Good luck. Regards, Mike

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Taking in your description I would say a good wipe over the roof with Autosmart G101 would be a good idea before you do anything to the roof.

G101 is a brilliant grease or oil breaker which will shift just about anything . Dilute with water and start at 6 to 1 meaning 6 parts water to 1 of G x101. Strengthen it up if necessary. Of course if you swill it down the sides of the van it will remove any wax previously applied but that's just the way it is.. G101 Is cheap as well as having lots of uses !!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Taking in your description I would say a good wipe over the roof with Autosmart G101 would be a good idea before you do anything to the roof.

G101 is a brilliant grease or oil breaker which will shift just about anything . Dilute with water and start at 6 to 1 meaning 6 parts water to 1 of G x101. Strengthen it up if necessary. Of course if you swill it down the sides of the van it will remove any wax previously applied but that's just the way it is.. G101 Is cheap as well as having lots of uses !!

What Charlie said:xThumb: brilliant stuff:xwink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back