Polishing Fibreglass Bodywork ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Detailing' started by scotjimland, Apr 2, 2015.

1. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,588
    Hopefully we get the chance to talk this subject to death over a beer sometime as in reality there are too many variables to sort it out on here.

Martin

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. funflair

Ratings:
    +15,588
    @Charlie do you rate the Colinite wax above Autoglym HD, up to buying the latest car I have always used Autoglym super resin polish and been happy with the finish and water shedding and I had never concidered that I was polishing not waxing but I do take your point re the difference, HD is my first wax since turtle wax about 35 years ago and is certainly easy and economical to apply.

Martin

3. sueandjohn

sueandjohn Funster

Ratings:
    +551
    A bit of a variation on the polish issue. We have a brand new Swift that is like a dirt magnet. Constantly lined with black streaks. We followed another motorhome through a diy wash and he pressure washed all the dirt off. We had to use a cloth or brush between washes. Normally use snow foam wash followed by maguires polish

4. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

Ratings:
    +294
    Hi David from Jack in a Box, I read your post and assumed if you ran a detailing business you probably knew what you were talking about. You do. I sent for some Klasse all in one (blimey not cheap) and used it The motorhome looks fantastic and I look knackered. Seriously though for the little effort you have to put in this product is brilliant. (no pun intended) they also do another product you can apply over the top to give a deep gloss wet look finish. Cant wait to try that one . Thanks for your help.
    Fred

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

Ratings:
    +984
    When we picked up our new MH I was told by the chap responsible for cleaning the sellers vans that the best polish for a good surface is the original Pledge; in fact that was what he was using. We did not talk about restoring a finish only maintaining an already good or new one. It seems to work :).

6. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Ratings:
    +7,719
    My proferred method of cleaning is to use Fenwicks Motorhome Cleaner followed by Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler.
    It really works and helps to keep the dirt off.
    Polishing and waxing a different issue though

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. FJmike

FJmike

Ratings:
    +1,521
    Has your forum name got anything to do with this preference?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Ratings:
    +7,719
    Lol ........no, i washed my van today.....perfect weather.........and it really does make it it easy and economical..........and it look right when its done.

I know the experts amongst us know of and can use all sorts of fancy brands and products, but in my opinion you can't go wrong with this stuff it is made for motorhomes and caravans and it does what it says it will do.

I may well be researching soon what polish and wax to use.

9. FJmike

FJmike

Ratings:
    +1,521
    If using Fenwick or other caravan/motor home cleaners make sure you read and abide by the dilution instructions. Using too much can and will damage your van. Bobby dazzler is an aqua wax, as is Demonshine, which can help to maintain a good finish but is no substitute for a good wax.

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Ratings:
    +7,719
    Yes......i agree thats what makes it so economical to use.......i have had the same bottles for 2 1/2 years since my van was new and i have 1/2 a bottle of each.

What would you recommend as a wax/polish to give it a good bit of protection both on the fibreglass parts as well as the metal parts.

11. FJmike

FJmike

Ratings:
    +1,521
    You can't go wrong with Colonite 476S, see Charlie post on how to apply properly. If you want something a bit easier to apply but may not last as long then Mequiars Marine wax. Neither really cheap but they do a good job.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. peter

peter

Ratings:
    +48
    Because the Ammonia in normal TCut stains the gel coat. They do do one that is suitable though and is ammonia free.

13. iceclimber

iceclimber Funster

Ratings:
    +99
    Wow ..... its been over 3 years since I was part of this debate !

Unfortunately, I need more Farecla ........ BUT .......
    Has anyone been able to buy the "Farecla gel coat restorer with wax" product lately ?? I cannot find anyone selling it ?????

14. rb62

rb62 Funster

Ratings:
    +19,972
    I don't think they do a combined one anymore,two stage process now so they can make more money! Martin @funflair put a photo of the two he uses from the Profile range on here a while ago but I can't find it :(

15. funflair

Ratings:
    +15,588
    This one came recommended to me as a bit of cut and wax all in one and as a replacement for the Farecla Gel coat restorer and wax, not tried it though.
    gel-gloss

I bought a polisher recently and it came with Meguires medium and fine compounds and polishing pads, I finished it with Colonite 476s as I had read so much about it, looks good to me.

Martin

16. mfw

mfw Funster

Ratings:
    +787
    Autopaints have farecla profile in stock 20% off the stage 3 at moment

17. Fallon

Fallon Funster

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Spike
    1/Just wondering what size bottle of kasse all in one to buy , what size is your van , How much did you have to use ?
    ( somebody mentioned there would be hard work involved with an all in one product, did you find this to be the case
    2/ did you also use the Klasse sealant glaze after the
    all in one ?
    Thanks