Polished Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Our new to us MH has spent a few years in the Portuguese sunshine and so has lost the shine I'm sure it used to have.
I've tried mopping it with Farecla G3 and then polishing it. Still not great.
I saw on YouTube a product calle Zep Floor Polish which the Americans rave about using on their RV's.
This must be a common issue with Motorhomes frequenting the European sunshine.
How can I bring the shine back ?

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
If you look through the motorhome detailing section your answer will be there
@Charlie will have put your answer somewhere in that forum

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If its an Autotrail Cheyenne as your profile suggests the front/rear and I am 99% sure the sides as well will all be fibreglass so may well have oxidised in the sun, you may get the shine back but it may need some careful work with a few grades of cutting compound, remember gel coat is never quite as shiny as paint and will also be relatively thin on the sides.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
AOI??
Dave(y)

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
When you polished it with G3 did you lubricate with water ? Do you realise G3 is an AOI polish ?
No I didn't but I know now I should have used water

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
What's an 'AOI' polish?

An AOI or All In One polish is a polish that breaks down as you build heat and polish. The abrasives start larger and break down to smaller fragments as you go ending up in a very fine paste. Giving the effect of having used say a heavy cut then a medium cut and a final finish cut.

G3 is popular with garages as its by its nature fast. Instead of going through several grades of polish it does the job of several.

But G3 can be tricky . ! Unless you are experienced how do you know at which stage the polish is at ? You could be in the final finish stage or full compound cutting stage. Then of course the inexperienced will add more polish.

Even for those who are very experienced it can and is tricky !

Frankly these AOI polishes are Not for anyone who does not have quite some experience.

If water is not sprayed via a mist sprayer G3 can cause much damage. It will clog the pad and can ruin paint or the delicate finishes on many motor-homes Marring and micro marring is something I've seen that many times I can tell the vehicles owner what he or she has been using.

Add to this many of the surfaces on MH.s are delicate and AOIs are a certain NO NO !

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you for that explanation Charlie(y)

Is there a product you could recommend I use ?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thank you for that explanation Charlie(y)

Is there a product you could recommend I use ?
What are you polishing ? Paint ? Fibreglass ?

The rule is start with a low cut polish. That way you are far less likely to damage the paint or surface. Start low and work up keeps you/us safe. It would help if you can tell me what you are polishing.

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Side and back of an Autotrail which I assume is fibreglass

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie
On ''Wheeler Dealers'' they had a guy in to bring the shine back to a very dull car, he went over it with electronic depth thingy to check how thick the paint was, when found the paint was ok then with wet dry then going down in size it came up like new, so i can see the benefit of this paste that gets thiner as you use it.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
On ''Wheeler Dealers'' they had a guy in to bring the shine back to a very dull car, he went over it with electronic depth thingy to check how thick the paint was, when found the paint was ok then with wet dry then going down in size it came up like new, so i can see the benefit of this paste that gets thiner as you use it.

The tool was a paint thickness gauge or PTG.

These tools are something a detailed would not nor could not be without. They safeguard us from striking through the lacquer coat onto the base coat which is desaterous especially if working on vintage or mega expensive cars. We also use technical light guns to examine the surfaces and surface laser temperature gauges to monitor the heat we are generating.

I will repeat AOI polishes are not for the inexperienced. They are tricky to use inconsistent and the chances of ruining surfaces is high if you do not have the right equipment I.E. a PTG. The one I have identifies the individual thicknesses of the base/colour coat and the Laquer. This instrument cost £1200 so it's unlikely many will have one.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Side and back of an Autotrail which I assume is fibreglass

The polish in the link is a good place to start. It's a very high quality very consistent polish with a low cut rate. You will get results with it but it may take a wee bit longer. Or you could go up a step but try this first . A very small spray of water will help.

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Charlie for all your advice, it certainly makes a lot more sense now (y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks Charlie for all your advice, it certainly makes a lot more sense now (y)

Give it a try and let us know ?

Menzerna polishes are very technical . They work extremely competently are very consistent and reliable. I've trialled and used dozens of brands and types which were mostly handed to me free of charge. Menzerna is the ones I spend my money on. (y)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi @Charlie, what would you suggest for me to try to remove very light scratches in the top lacquered coat near the rear door handle on my new Globecar PVC.

Thank you.

John.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi @Charlie, what would you suggest for me to try to remove very light scratches in the top lacquered coat near the rear door handle on my new Globecar PVC.

Thank you.

John.

John go for the same Menzerna PO 85 RD linked above. This polish is as said above low cut . Low cut will give the same results as medium or even high cut it simply means you polish or rub for longer. This is why I'm recommending the low cut as it's very safe on delicate surfaces but will tackle even deeper scratches or imperfections out with more effort.

One of the things to avoid doing when polishing out marks or scratches is using a polish with to much cut ! Doing so can cause irreparable damage which is why I have to advise low cut.

Take your time stop often and examine what you are polishing. If it's not all gone or corrected as we say then damp your cloth or pad and have another go. You will get there in the end.

Let us know how you get on !

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Cheers @Charlie, I'd had the van about 2 weeks when I found the scratches and I know that I had definitely not caused them, but didn't notify dealer as I couldn't prove as that is how it was delivered to me.

John.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Cheers @Charlie, I'd had the van about 2 weeks when I found the scratches and I know that I had definitely not caused them, but didn't notify dealer as I couldn't prove as that is how it was delivered to me.

John.

Dealers apply silicones usually by spray and they hide swirling marks and light scratches ... This lasts for about a week to ten days or until heavy rain which washes it off leaving the marks for all to see.

Don't worry a little elbow grease will shift them !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back