Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all,

I adding an additional CBE socket on my 2004 Hymer Starline 680. In doing so I’ve discovered that the 230v sockets are wired Blue to Live and Brown to Neutral. I know the 12 volt system is wired about face (red neutral black live) but wasn’t expecting to get it on the mains side.

Is it the norm or has someone got it wrong?

Cheers Dave

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Continentals don't differentiate between live and neutral as they use double switched MCB's, & sockets or unswitched sockets. However, if the van has been converted to UK sockets they should be wired correctly.

I have had 3 Hymers a 2008 (UK sockets), 2014 & 2017 (both continental sockets) all wired correctly.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have B544 with continental sockets - what would the effect be if they were wired the wrong way and how can I check? Electrics is not my bag.

I use adapters for UK appliances and all works fine. Is it a simple job to replace the continental sockets?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have B544 with continental sockets - what would the effect be if they were wired the wrong way and how can I check? Electrics is not my bag.

I use adapters for UK appliances and all works fine. Is it a simple job to replace the continental sockets?
As they are unswitched sockets to disconnect you have to pull the plug out which obviously disconnects both poles so it doesn't matter if the supply is revered, also you are protected by an RCD.
Normally with Hymer wiring the sockets are all wired the same. If you are worried you could check with a mains socket tester and with adaptors you can just turn them up the other way. If you were using continental plugs you wouldn't know anyway.

Easy to change the sockets, take the chrome bezel off unscrew the socket insert and replace, you can't use the socket cover with UK sockets.

Even easier do what we do, change the plugs on the appliances.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
It does matter if the wires are reversed on U.K. appliances.
Not wanting to scare you but.
The reason being the live wire to the appliance will go through the switch and possibly any safety devices to prevent electric shock such as fuses or overload cut outs, on the device.
If the wires are reversed even if the safety devices have tripped the appliance could still be in a condition where you could still get a lethal shock.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank You for your help Lenny. Only owned the MH for 12 months. Recently had a habitation service and I later noticed on the 230v check there was a bracketed comment ‘reversed’.

Everything works ok and I guess it must be safe otherwise they would have said somethin At the garage. Thinking about it there is not much we plug in, bluetooth speaker, phone chargers and low watt heater in the winter to top up the truma for faster heating when we get in.

It is just one of those niggling topics that I don’t undertand

Thanks again as your comments are reassuring.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just seen ‘off the grids’ comment. I think I will speak to the garage that did my habitation service to be sure.

All too complicated for me.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
The reason being the live wire to the appliance will go through the switch and possibly any safety devices to prevent electric shock such as fuses or overload cut outs, on the device.
If the wires are reversed even if the safety devices have tripped the appliance could still be in a condition where you could still get a lethal shock.
Not true. In a modern motorhome it is the RCD in the consumer unit which will prevent a lethal shock, and that is not polarity dependent.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

If folks dont understand the basics of electricity, should they really be inserting metal prongs into a toaster, or taking the covers off appliances while still connected to a potentially live socket?

That is the only way they would be exposed to a live conductor with a ‘reversed polarity’ scenario.

Common sense tells you that you should isolate the electrical supply before delving into appliances whether the L and N lines are transposed or not.

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Just seen ‘off the grids’ comment. I think I will speak to the garage that did my habitation service to be sure.

All too complicated for me.

Thanks

You have nothing to worry about, there is no need to spend money at a garage. See other comments in this thread.

Ian

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
My comment was not only related to the use in vehicle but an rcd will do the job of keeping you safe.
But RCD’s do fail or get stuck in the on position.
When was the last time you tested yours, should be done occasionally by pressing the test button.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
My comment was not only related to the use in vehicle but an rcd will do the job of keeping you safe.
When was the last time you tested yours, should be done occasionally by pressing the test button.
It might surprise you that you can get RCDs in domestic consumer units too these days. Only been around in one form or another for some 60+ years.

When did I last test mine in the home? Yesterday actually. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: The motorhome is in storage at the moment and storage is closed.

As for switches on the sockets, like almost all motorhomes, there are none, in the house they are all double pole.

Even so, except in extremely rare occasions the only way you can get a lethal shock in a reverse polarity situation it to take the appliance apart whilst still plugged in, unless it is something like a toaster where you stick a metal object in.

Deleted User
If polarity doesn't matter why do we colour code the wiring?

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Switches on 13a sockets in the home are single pole unless otherwise marked.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Because our regs are so antiquated.
Reverse polarity is not acceptable in the UK but the wires must still be identified by colour so every accessory is positive wired throughout. Functionally, the colour doesn't make any difference.
A two way switch is different again... Red, blue and yellow (old colours) ..Brown blue grey (new colours) All three are Pos depending how the switch is swiched so conductors still have to be identified at each end to wire correctly or the switch won't work.
Why do Europeans colour code their wiring then ignore polarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Because in the UK we use fused plugs with the fuse on the live wire. The fuse will blow if the live is shorted to earth or neutral.

Most other countries don't seem to use fused plugs but have the protection on the supply side covering both live and neutral and don't need fuses. Modern UK houses should have the same now but older ones probably won't.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Loads of socket manufacturers supply double pole switched sockets they are not marked. Some of the ones that are double pole, Volex, MEM, Contactum.
In this case I stand corrected but I would suggest that you ere on the side of safety. I have installed some modern sockets with USB charging points and they definitely are not double pole switched. If you feel inclined to work on electrical equipment it would be better to switch of the mains at the distribution board / fuse board as this has a double pole switch. If working on a motorhome its best to disconnect the mains lead for your own safety. There are some occasions when you need the mains connected to locate a fault but if your not competent you should leave this to a capable person.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
When I was working I did a lot of RCD tests, many failed, nobody ever tests them every month as we should, including me

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
In this case I stand corrected but I would suggest that you ere on the side of safety. I have installed some modern sockets with USB charging points and they definitely are not double pole switched. If you feel inclined to work on electrical equipment it would be better to switch of the mains at the distribution board / fuse board as this has a double pole switch. If working on a motorhome its best to disconnect the mains lead for your own safety. There are some occasions when you need the mains connected to locate a fault but if your not competent you should leave this to a capable person.

In summary:

If you know what you’re doing and need to take the covers off anything, isolate the a.c. supply.

If you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t take the effing covers off!

In either case, it matters not a jot if the L and N are transposed!

Ian

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Switches on 13a sockets in the home are single pole unless otherwise marked.
Not true. For example, all mine are double pole, certainly no markings on the outside.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
What I perhaps should have said it's not safe to assume that an item is double pole. If someone needs to know the reason why reverse polarity is a problem with with our system of single pole protection then it's probably safe to assume they won't recognise the difference between sockets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back