POE and Passthrough (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
How does that work?
I am just upgrading my security cameras, whilst I am happy with the ring setup I have a little niggle about them being jammed so I am installing IP based cameras. I have used a 4 port POE switch in my Garage I am using a power line plug to get the data back in to the home and all is working well

The 4 Port POE TP Link switch is about £13 cheaper than the equivalent NETGEAR switch and is very reliable (I have both).
Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 07.33.52.png
Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 07.34.07.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
How far from the NVR is the garage camera?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
How does that work?
You need to give more details as to your question sorry.

Are you talking about PoE injectors? Or are you talking about switches that can provide a PoE output like this?

This is the one I use in my Van.

Probably a bit too complicated for your needs I suspect.

I like it because it handles PoE injection using a 12V supply direct from my van battery. 4G USB modem, 2.5 and 5GHz ethernet and runs a full commercial grade router software. Feature list as long as my arm.

If this is for CCTV, then you have 2 choices.
a router with PoE outputs which is handy in a lot of cases.
Or if you have sockets near the the cameras then a PoE injector like this;

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: if this is for a CCTV system my router would probably not be suitable as it only has one PoE output port.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I am just upgrading my security cameras, whilst I am happy with the ring setup I have a little niggle about them being jammed so I am installing IP based cameras. I have used a 4 port POE switch in my Garage I am using a power line plug to get the data back in to the home and all is working well

The 4 Port POE TP Link switch is about £13 cheaper than the equivalent NETGEAR switch and is very reliable (I have both).View attachment 467961View attachment 467962
Do you mean ’jammed’ as in blocked, or ‘jammed’ as in frozen picture (which I get on mine sometimes, possibly due to Wi-fi dropouts.......? :unsure:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
How far from the NVR is the garage camera?
At a guess about 30 - 40 metres

so the set up at home is Broadband hub a Ethernet cable goes into a power line plug, Currently have one extender in my study and the other in the Garage I am going to fit a third upstairs this will pick up the other three camera’s with the Ethernet cables dropping down in to the airing cupboard where there is a power socket. IP security cameras seem to come in different levels of quality. I have gone for a Uniview system brought the NVR and one camera just to test out before investing in more camera’s

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I don’t fit Uniview, but you should be fine at 30-40m with no power injection.

The cable type is important, make sure it’s 5e and copper, if your doing a few cameras buy cable on a reel and fit your own plugs.

Deleted User
How does that work?
Leaving batteries aside a camera needs a supply and a data connection. If it's near a socket then you can plug it in and connect the data cable. Poe allows you to inject 12v(?) Into the data cable (cat5 or above) at source and split it out beside the camera saving a possibly long cable run. Not all cameras can do this.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Do you mean ’jammed’ as in blocked, or ‘jammed’ as in frozen picture (which I get on mine sometimes, possibly due to Wi-fi dropouts.......? :unsure:
Have if been burgled about 14 months ago I went straight out and brought ring cameras, it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction as I normally do a bit of research they do work and as you say occasionally drop out. My concern is that a friend recently had a break in neither his or his neighbours picked up any activity and there was no recordings at the time they believe it happened. The thought is the cameras had been jammed (similar to a tracker being jammed). Two thoughts one is it was a ring system error or it may be a hammer but hand held jammers are not that powerful they could take out several houses at once, a bigger jammer would be needed.

But whatever I just decided to change most out for an IP based system and keeping a couple of ring ones as a mix and match of a system won’t do any harm.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I don’t fit Uniview, but you should be fine at 30-40m with no power injection.

The cable type is important, make sure it’s 5e and copper, if your doing a few cameras buy cable on a reel and fit your own plugs.
Ah ok but the POE switch is only 10 meters

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Ah ok but the POE switch is only 10 meters

If you have a Uniview NVR and a poe camera you should only need to run Cat between the 2.

The NVR has poe built in. edit SHOULD have poe built in.

This should be good for 100m and no power should be needed at the camera end.

Now this is an assumption as I've not used Uniview, in the NVR's software you should be able to adjust power on each feed and as long as you have the right cable you should be able to increase the run to at least 200m (I often get more on Hikvision)

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Uniview say their NVR's all have a poe range of 250m.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Uniview say their NVR's all have a poe range of 250m.
OK I am not using the POE ports, you can do but this being an IP system and the data is going through my home ring main (240V) so my Broadband router is connected to a power line plug (left of picture)

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 09.12.07.png

The NVR is plugged into a power line socket like the above which has two ethernet ports on top and can also provide WiFi. This means that the data from my router (internet connectivity) will now 'talk' to the NVR so that I can do upgrades to the NVR or camera. I only have one connection to the NVR. the NVR in this instance can only have 4 cameras connected either via the 4 POE ports or via a Local Area Network (which is the set up in my case). The Camera is voice enabled but again you can set the audio up to play from the device you are using you do not need to use the Audio out plug.

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 09.11.10.png

I then have a Powerline socket in the Garage with a single Cat 6 cable plugged in connecting to the switch.

What is interesting is that the Uniview Camera has a full range of configurable attributes including the ability to stop recording on an SD card (not available on the whole range) so it has a similar capability to that of the NVR itself. The following two screen grabs are from the camera.

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 09.22.41.png

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 09.22.26.png

This is camera I invested in, much better quality images
than the Ring thing ;)
Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 09.27.07.png

The NVR itself is interesting I reckon a Raspberry Pi could act as an NVR as it it really is not that sophisticated, you interact with it using a mouse, there is some downloadable software for your mobile or you can interact just using a web browser.

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 09.32.12.png

and the front of the NVR looks like this

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 09.11.36.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Leaving batteries aside a camera needs a supply and a data connection. If it's near a socket then you can plug it in and connect the data cable. Poe allows you to inject 12v(?) Into the data cable (cat5 or above) at source and split it out beside the camera saving a possibly long cable run. Not all cameras can do this.
A power injector is used to provide power to a device when either your not using a POE switch or it is a heck of a long run and you happen to have a power source close to the device that can be powered by a ethernet power injector

Deleted User
A power injector is used to provide power to a device when either your not using a POE switch or it is a heck of a long run and you happen to have a power source close to the device that can be powered by a ethernet power injector
Yes, I did this last year when I installed a camera in a very remote location up may stairs. The poe allowed me to control the camera power supply and the LAN locally from the same easy access switch on the ground floor. 🌝

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
If your doing this for 1 camera which is extremely hard to get a cable to from the NVR that will work, but its an expensive and complicated method for multiple cameras, its also relies in the local network and will be data heavy.

Powerline adaptors can also be troublesome, for each camera you will loose a plug socket and will have wires everywhere.

I did a 7 camera system today, 1 mains lead, 8 cat5e cables, 1 HDMI, set up app on clients iPad and authorise my iPad (pro app) job done.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If your doing this for 1 camera which is extremely hard to get a cable to from the NVR that will work, but its an expensive and complicated method for multiple cameras, its also relies in the local network and will be data heavy.

Powerline adaptors can also be troublesome, for each camera you will loose a plug socket and will have wires everywhere.

I did a 7 camera system today, 1 mains lead, 8 cat5e cables, 1 HDMI, set up app on clients iPad and authorise my iPad (pro app) job done.
From a consumer perspective power line are fine in some homes they can be problematic so each person needs to check how something like a power line unit works, mine seem to be OK but understand some have issues.

I am currently running 6 Camera's 5 Ring and 1 Uniview, I also have a NAS (12TB). Both the wife and I run Zoom for Business currently we are not having any issues with the Powerline. The switches are all non managed and do not allow for Quality of service (QOS). I will be ordering another 3 IP Camera's these will be connected to one 4 Port POE TP-Link switch connected to a power line and back to the NVR (have already tested this and it works).

Regarding bandwidth the BT power lines I am using are slow at 600Mbps, some run much faster the switches are 10/100/1000 and using cat 6 cables which are shielded and rated at 10/100/1000 so even with a camera running at 5Mps the infrastructure supports the speed and not having any issues which at the moment so all should be good.

If this was for a business I guess old fashioned Coax, or point to point ethernet cable or I would use managed switches across an IP network for example Cisco, Juniper, Avaya or HP something that provides a high level of service security and priority as currently what I have is all just best effort (but it works)

Will let you know how I get on

Quick speed test of my BB from one of my power line plugs (WiFi, hard wired is normally 6MB faster from this power line, same in my Garage)

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 16.26.27.png

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Although I'm fitting CCTV at the moment (along with Ubiquiti and draytek networks and Came access and gate systems) I can't claim to be an expert really.

I've done the courses and have certificates for the wall, but I run an International Events Company (or I did before Covid and hope do so again) but having done a number of offices and houses now I'm sure your system will work, but it seems a lot of extra effort and money.

Every job I do people don't want cables or kit on view, todays as I said was 7 cameras I previously set up their network and alarm system and added the cameras today and the only visible cables are from wall sockets to 3 PC's

Hope it all goes well.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Although I'm fitting CCTV at the moment (along with Ubiquiti and draytek networks and Came access and gate systems) I can't claim to be an expert really.

I've done the courses and have certificates for the wall, but I run an International Events Company (or I did before Covid and hope do so again) but having done a number of offices and houses now I'm sure your system will work, but it seems a lot of extra effort and money.

Every job I do people don't want cables or kit on view, todays as I said was 7 cameras I previously set up their network and alarm system and added the cameras today and the only visible cables are from wall sockets to 3 PC's

Hope it all goes well.
I agree about the cables no one wants to see them, and I guess that is one thing that is attractive about the WiFi Battery operated Ring Camera. I agree Cable runs look ugly who needs them!

The Master Powerline socket I am using is in the Gas Cupboard, so the cables are hidden away the NAS/NVR etc cables run behind book shelves and the others will run in the loft and down in to an airing cupboard so the cables are pretty much hidden. Some Power line adapters have a 3 pin socket on the outside so you do not loose the socket but I also think that is where some issue can occur in that a plug is easily knocked to maybe 'noise' generated bt whatever is plugged in to it that can affect the data.

The 5 port POE TP Link cost £35.62 compared to the NetGear at £48.61 and have seen a couple of reviews from IP camera installers who say that the TP Link has given them no issues they provide a 3 year warranty on their installs.

Just took a peek at the products you are using I suspect your having some enjoyment learning about them and installing must be very satisfying to do (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back