Plumbing Thetford into a separate black tank (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have to say a spare cassette does sound a much better package, we have a black tank with a macerating pump on the inlet to it, so it runs out like poo soup, if you try to pump raw sewage, I think you are going to regret it, unless you can get a 'proper' pump and wide bore pipes, if not I reckon it will get really messy, really quickly (y)

In absolute answer to your question, I can't imagine anybody has ever done what you are suggesting, probably for the reasons I have given above, there might / must be an option to swap the whole lot for what we have I guess, chop it up on the way to the black tank, then let it out by gravity :)

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I have to say a spare cassette does sound a much better package, we have a black tank with a macerating pump on the inlet to it, so it runs out like poo soup, if you try to pump raw sewage, I think you are going to regret it, unless you can get a 'proper' pump and wide bore pipes, if not I reckon it will get really messy, really quickly (y)

In absolute answer to your question, I can't imagine anybody has ever done what you are suggesting, probably for the reasons I have given above, there might / must be an option to swap the whole lot for what we have I guess, chop it up on the way to the black tank, then let it out by gravity :)
But I only want to pump pee

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
if you fit a bigger black tank you might as well dump and pump everything, stop messing about with bin liners, technically disposing of human faeceas ?? in a standard bin is at least unhealthy, possibly illegal o_O

edit - even a bit of tissue paper will foul a pump not suited for it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I think fixed tanks only really work if you can have a large one, and bearing in mind 150 litres, for instance, weighs around 150 KG, most Euro vans don't have the available payload. So you're really looking at RV's .
We had a Hymer with a 40ish litre fixed tank, and it was neither one thing or another.
I really think a spare cassette is the way to go.
Incidentally, Thetford makes a special toilet to go with a fixed tank , and I must admit that was much better.
It was taller and had a foot operated slide and flush

Andrew

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my trouble not yours...

First thing. It is not too difficult to find a bin, they are everywhere, so we don't have to carry it round forever. We have a fire bucket with a lid to put the black sack in until we find one .... can't believe I am sat here at 11pm explaining this to someone................
Second thing. why do people on this forum only want to argue? we are all different. Live and let live.
Some people only comment to be negative... yes i mean you

original post was
Plumbing Thetford into a separate black tank
can't you just answer the question????????????
i worked in the sewage trade or job depending how you look at it . i found it very interesting . i also only worked in summer in uk traveled abroad in winter , also visited sewage and fresh water works through interest all over eu and several countries in africa . brought back what i saw or heard . the local water works scientists found it use full in ideas or gave me other ideas .
i try to give a sensible answer to problems folk have , using what i have learnt here and abroad.
there really is alot of good info on here . but take what you need or think suits your life style .
also your thoughts ,actions might help others .
in many cases there is no right or wrong just what suits the time ,place . after all we are all only humans we all make mistakes .
lets hope we realize that and learn from them .
but take what suits .
sometimes we all might do things we know we perhaps shouldnt . but dont tell others we dont want every one doing it . smile be happy .

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
It's easy to pee in a bucket
When needing to poo we say f*ck it
We sit on the bog
And let go a log
And that way it's ages till "chuck it"!

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
my trouble not yours...

First thing. It is not too difficult to find a bin, they are everywhere, so we don't have to carry it round forever. We have a fire bucket with a lid to put the black sack in until we find one .... can't believe I am sat here at 11pm explaining this to someone................
Second thing. why do people on this forum only want to argue? we are all different. Live and let live.
Some people only comment to be negative... yes i mean you

original post was
Plumbing Thetford into a separate black tank
can't you just answer the question????????????

As a student I, among other things, empty'd bins in the holidays. I would be very 'miffed' and 'peed off' [pun intended] If I knew someone had just dumped excrement in a bin I was expected to handle:mad:

Bio hazard, yep, acceptable NO:(

The liquid that seeps out of bins is bad enough, it doesn't need a selfish actions to make it worse:(

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
It's easy to pee in a bucket
When needing to poo we say f*ck it
We sit on the bog
And let go a log
And that way it's ages till "chuck it"!

I understand what you just said
Also wondered does tha never go to bed
It's half past 2
And you're talking about poo
I think it's time to hit this post on the head. :D

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Why don't you just have piss bags fitted? Then you wont even have to stop driving, and if you route the hose properly you have free central heating.

jh

Free Member
Jun 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo
i am trying to do a cassette-to-black tank connection with the option to refit the cassette at any moment. the tank part seems like it will be easy but one of the problems to overcome is that the flap that closes the cassette off from the van is part of the cassette.

p.s. loving the limericks!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i am trying to do a cassette-to-black tank connection with the option to refit the cassette at any moment. the tank part seems like it will be easy but one of the problems to overcome is that the flap that closes the cassette off from the van is part of the cassette.

p.s. loving the limericks!
Simply use the cassette as a chamber connected to a pipe 5hat routes the effluent to the black tank. Then you can remove the butchered cassette and replace with one without the pipe connector to still us as originally installed

jh

Free Member
Jun 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo
The cassette will fill up a bit though and also when you remove the butchered cassette you've got a pipe to disconnect or something?

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
??? Another crazy idea ???

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried this and did it work.
I hate emptying the toilet every other day. It's OK on site but when wild camping it is a struggle.
I thought about removing the cassette from the toilet and fitting a holding tank under the van (probably from CAK tanks, pardon the pun). I could then use a large diameter pipe to connect the toilet to the tank, with a one way valve :rolleyes:
My toilet is only used for fluids so I wonder if it would be alright.
I thought about installing a submersible pump to empty it, via a hose pipe.

Any thought on this subject much appreciated.
TBH I think it would stink to high heaven after a few days, especially in warm weather. You might be better getting one or more spare toilet cassettes and storing the full ones in an airtight box like the Very Useful Boxes which come in a wide range of sizes and the lids lock in place. Otherwise I've seen a reference on this forum to something you can add to the toilet cassette that solidifies and composts the contents, although I think it takes a few days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back