Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Please can I have advice re plugs and sockets in our pvc. Having been spoilt in our Burstner we now have just one three pin plug socket and one 12 volt job. I can cook and bake but electrics and mechanics requires a man!!
Can I use adapters like at home? I think I can stick a special type of plug in the cigarette socket whilst we are driving.We have phones, an ipad, camera and bike battery to charge. On hook up we can do them ok. Do I invest in a small inverter and if so, where would it go in a Rapido v56? Is having this type of electrical work costly and would panels have to come off walls ? Thankyou

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depending on the wire size used by the converter you could have extra 3 pin sockets added by an electrician fairly cheap.
They could be installed just about anywhere convenient.

Cig socket......i think you mean a USB adaptor to charge phones etc when driving.....or minimal use when parked.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would recommend you get extra 240 volt sockets installed by a professional. I am sure someone can recommend a company near you. Electricity is not something to take risks on.

If you want to charge electronic stuff both static or on the move fitting a USB socket is very easy to do and the work could be done at the same time as the 240v sockets were added. They are better for charging on the move than using a cigarette light adaptor, which will tend to fall out if the socket is on a vertical wall. I fitted the one below to my van. It is a twin socket one meant for a boat I think but you can get single ones, such as these, which are designed for caravans etc: http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5481

BROKEN LINK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I feel very lucky having a grand total of 2 sockets in my tiny van! ::bigsmile: (also 2 x 12v which I don't tend to use).

I am fortunate that one of my sockets is under my table. I just have a domestic 4 socket extension lead that I keep plugged in - all the wiring is kept out of the way. I am careful not to have loads of powerful equipment running at the same time.

It does seem that every trip I go away I have a new gadget or something else that needs charging :ROFLMAO:
This must stop! Mind you, who'd have thought 10 years ago that I'd have a home network all to myself?! :Doh:

OP
OP
Greenacres

Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Wow such quick replies. Thanks to you all. With the various issues that have arisen regarding this PVC, I was beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake downsizing before I hit 70. However, every time I post a question, I get loads of supportive answers like yours.. Much appreciated. x

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Can I suggest you make a call to Dave Newell over in Telford and talk to him about ways of solving your problems. His details are on here somewhere (as is he quite often). It's not too far for you to take your van to get any work done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back