PLugged in all the time at home parked up? (1 Viewer)

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Well, after an epic journey on drenched roads in driving rain, our motorhome made it from Winchester to Torbay, and after the towbar scraping as I drove it up the sharp ramp called our 'drive',(see photo) it is now plugged in with only the fridge ticking over, all systems on trickle charge.

However, we don't intend using it for a couple of weeks at least (so I can recover from the drive) - so, does it need to be plugged in to the mains all the time when not in use? Thanks as always for any advice to us two newbies.

Attachments

• USE THIS ONE.jpg
    USE THIS ONE.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 211
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Marmite question, I do leave mine hooked up all the time, many don’t and think I am bonkers

Some will depend on what MH you have, but if say you went to a site for a month on holiday would you unplug it after a few days ?

Not only do I keep mine plugged in I leave the heating set at 10C to keep it all aired and ready to go

Last edited:
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Why do you need the fridge running if you are not using it. It will be working overtime trying to keep an empty space cold. Switch off and leave the doors open. As for scraping the tow bar on the way in how are you going to cope full off water, diesel and all your holiday stuff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Good point. I drive it down the ramp/drive, load up and go, fill with water when we get to whereever we are going. Alternative is to pay 12-months and shuttle stuff to and from the storage site then go off from there. Or move house?

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I leave mine plugged in, the alarm system drains main battery if left for weeks at a time. Always switch fridge off with doors in the locked open position. Latch normally has position where you can shut leaving slight open door to air fridge. Normally I switch fridge on day before we're heading off to get freezer compartment down to temp. Also I always leave drain valves open on water and waste tanks

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When you get used to it, you will be surprised how a couple of well placed blocks of wood under the rear wheels at just the right time will sort it.

We have a long overhang and like Scottish islands, the CalMac crews are really good and what looks to be a sliver of plastic in the right place saves our rear end (y)

But we do also have rear air suspension which we can raise, that might be a need to have for you

Or move as you suggest :)

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We don't keep the electrics on all the time unless using it when the house is full or cooling the fridge freezer the night before we set off.
Our drive slopes down the other way to yours and the tow bar usually scrapes but obviously saves the bottom of the van!

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ours is always plugged in. ... and often over winter we stick a little oil filled rad in there too. Fridge often has drink in it so is on sometimes too. Internet is always on in there also.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Alternative is to pay 12-months and shuttle stuff to and from the storage site then go off from there. Or move house?

You now have a Motorhome..... everything is cheaper.... move house...:D2

Seriously I’m amazed you got up there, is it front wheel drive?

No problem leaving on hookup but as @gus-lopez said, are you level up there...:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
No, rear wheel drive. And yes, level. If not plugged into mains, which battery does the alarm run off - vehicle or leisure?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No, rear wheel drive. And yes, level. If not plugged into mains, which battery does the alarm run off - vehicle or leisure?
Pretty sure it will be the vehicle battery.

Martin

Upvote 0

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Mines plugged in all the time but is on a timer that just comes on for about a hour a day ,just to keep things charged clever eh. :D

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Mines plugged in all the time but is on a timer that just comes on for about a hour a day ,just to keep things charged clever eh. :D

perhaps not..

if the charger is a three stage smart model (most are) it may not complete the three stages.. , 1 Bulk, 2 Absorption and finally 3 Float ..

reverting back to stage 1 each time it is switched off and on.. never reaching stage 2 and 3 .

I would charge with a timer once a month for 24 hours , or each couple of weeks for 24 hours to keep the battery on level over 12V.

That was advice from Udo at Schaudt for the EBL

Smart Chargers

@sdc77

Re use of portable heaters .

check with your van insurer.. I was informed they do not cover any damage caused by portable heater if left left unattended.

@Kerry9

smart chargers are quite happy being left connected , they go onto a float charge (more commonly called a 'trickle charge' ) to keep battery fully charged .. but you can do as I advised and once fully charged, switch off and put it on for 24hrs every two weeks ..

Fridge.. in storage leave switched off and door ajar.. give it a good clean using bi carb of soda.. Before a trip, switch onto mains for 24 - 48hrs to pre cool it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've got a small optimate charger connected, it can only deliver 0.8 amps so can't over heat the battery if anything goes wrong (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
@scotjimland thank you for your helpful advice
I don't have a smart charger. The motorhome is simply connected directly to our domestic mains. If the leisure battery is charged or topped up as you are driving (' fast on' in our digital display above the side door) then why does it need to remain plugged in for weeks when not being used? Unless keeping it plugged in also charges the engine battery? But again, isn't that charged when the engine is running?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@scotjimland thank you for your helpful advice
I don't have a smart charger. The motorhome is simply connected directly to our domestic mains. If the leisure battery is charged or topped up as you are driving (' fast on' in our digital display above the side door) then why does it need to remain plugged in for weeks when not being used? Unless keeping it plugged in also charges the engine battery? But again, isn't that charged when the engine is running?
Hi

your van will or should be fitted with a mains charger that is in all probability a smart charger.. if you have a look you should see what you have..?

It doesn't need to be plugged in all the time., but even when nothing is being used the battery voltage will drop , not a lot, but over several months particularly in winter, it would be significant.. so, as I posted, plug in for 24 hrs every 2 or 4 weeks will be fine for keeping the batteries in tip top condition..

depending on the charger and van, some motorhome chargers, such as the Schaudt EBL 99 and it's derivatives, also top up the engine battery

some people install solar panels which can also be installed to keep both engine and hab batteries topped up when van not being used.

also, if you have an alarm fitted they also drain batteries if not kept on charge

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Thank you again @scotjimland. Our motorhome is equipped with an alarm whereby you can arm both internal and external sensors, or external only. I will check the externally-accessible side locker which contains the new leisure battery and another electrical 'box' on a shelf immediately above it.
We are attending Day 1 of the motorhome show at the NEC on 15 October and we can find out more there, but thank you again, this all helps build our ab-initio zero knowledge base.

Upvote 0

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Duh :doh: , just when I thought I was being clever . Thanks for the advice Jim that’s what I will do from now on (y)

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
As others have said it’s a marmite thing. Mines plugged in because why not.

Fridge I leave on with a few beers and water in so it’s not working too hard.

The day before we go I put the heating on about 18deg so it’s warms all the mattresss through as it can feel chilled through for a long time if you just fire up the heating when arriving on site. Yes the air warms quickly but duvets and mattresss need more time to aclimatise.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not really a Marmite thing.

After we had a repair on our Electroblok, Udo Lang at Schaudt advised that the charger is not designed for long term extended use and should not be left permanently hooked up.

When I was at the truma service centre their engineer also advised that the blown air system is not designed for long term extended use as the fans wont last.

Personally the heating thing is a case of physics. If cold air doesn't meet moist warm air you wont get condensation in an unoccupied van. So why cause condensation by heating an unoccupied van and waste money doing it?

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We leave ours plugged in, heating on a low setting, water heater on a low setting andcfridge stocked and running. And the silver screen in place. We use the fridge as an overflow for the house. Mind you it is rarely in the drive for more than 10 days, as we use it at least every second weekend. The heating is not “always on” but the low setting means it comes on if temperature drops below 5deg in order to stop things freezing up. In cold spells we also back it up with oil filled radiator.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The only time we use the EHU is when it's parked up at the hanger around the corner from our house. Fridge is always off but the EHU keeps the batteries from draining. The night before we go out I nip over and switch the fridge on. Heating is never switched on, nobody in there so not needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kerry9

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
We turn the fridge off and keep doors open, normally the solar panels keep the batteries topped up, the night before we go somewhere i use ehu and turn the fridge on mains.

I tell my wife we need to go on a trip to keep the vechile batteries toped up, works a treat

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back