Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
When I got my last car it already had a plug in box which helped it return over 40 mpg on a run,which is good for a 3 litre v6 I'm told.
Is anybody using one of these,or have any knowledge of them?

Broken Link Removed

Vlad

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I hope you get some replies, as I am thinking about it also.

Mike

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I put something similar on my last van that had a 2.8 Citroen engine in it.

The setting up took a bit of playing around because you could set it for torque or economy or a balance in between

I put it on just before our trip to Spain and Portugal and on fuel economy I reckon it paid for itself on the trip so anything after that I considered it a bonus

Also I found it pulled a little better on the steep gradients

So they're a :thumb: from me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
defo worth it my vectra is running a dtuk box decated etc.. been on the rolling road and got 196bhp 150 as stock and a lot more torque and when you drive it steady defo more mpg ( i do pizza deliverys on the nite time), but if you have a onboard mpg display dont believe it basically the box makes the engine think it has low fuel rail pressure so the engine compensates this then throws out the mpg display so u will think your getting more than you really are

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all it does is increase fuel rail pressure thus injects more fuel in the same injection 'open' time.
As it injects more fuel it cannot be more economical but will produce more unburnt fuel at the exhaust.

A proper remap alters injector timing, injection 'open' period, rail pressure and other parameters within the induction system to ensure the extra fuel is burnt efficiently.

If it increased power AND used less fuel the engine manufacturers would use the same parameters as these so called 'tuning' boxes use.

Last edited:

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
all it does is increase fuel rail pressure thus injects more fuel in the same injection 'open' time.
As it injects more fuel it cannot be more economical but will produce more unburnt fuel at the exhaust.

A proper remap alters injector timing, injection 'open' period, rail pressure and other parameters within the induction system to ensure the extra fuel is burnt efficiently.

If it increased power AND used less fuel the engine manufacturers would use the same parameters as these so called 'tuning' boxes use.
your right theres no better thn real remap however the box does work
it does produce more power when on boost (adding extra diesel can give u a bigger bang thus more boost more quickly) if you go to far to the point your blowing coal out of the back then yes its just wasted fuel, more bhp can give you more mpg to a certain extent for example I had a 3.6 jag auto and my father in law had a 2.9 manual and the 3.6 auto defo had better mpg ( even the jag hand book rated the 3.6 auto as 4 mpg more than the 2.9)

the tuning box I have ties in with the boost sensor so it plays with that as well so when not on boost it holds everything back but when on boost it all goes a bit silly lol . done 10k without the box and 13k with the box defo a big improvement more drivable more fun but when I want it to be its all civilised did a 246mile round trip and got 64mpg (filled tank to brim before trip and after then worked out mpg)

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there was mention recently that if a plug in booster is seen in use during an mot it will result in a fail

as already said, the only thing these boxes do is to mess with injector timing, often with the use of little more than a variable resistor in a sealed box

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
fitted one when i owned a fiat x250 ,,100 multijet .5 speed ..mpg was better and on long inclines on motorway i did not have to change down,,

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I'm looking into one of these as well, the son popped in today and he's had one on his vw caddy for 3 weeks and he's well impressed, easy to fit (and remove) and if you change vehicle you can get it reprogrammed to your new one. He reckons it's upped performance and mpg, approx. 5mpg and he's lost the lag on acceleration, got his from Tdi tuning.
Seriously thinking of getting one for the Boxer.

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
there was mention recently that if a plug in booster is seen in use during an mot it will result in a fail

as already said, the only thing these boxes do is to mess with injector timing, often with the use of little more than a variable resistor in a sealed box
dunno bout the MOT my guy doesnt look that close lol (easy to unplug) but your right the nasty expensive (cheap ones) are just resistor the proper ones are controlled can be programmed with different profiles etc...

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Does it affect your insurance with these devices fitted? :Smile:
well anything that is not OEM will affect and need to be declared to your insurance company which I have done :Blush: lol

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
plug in tuning

Hi,I have had one fitted to our motorhome (a Peugeot 2.2) standard 130 bhp after plug fitted up to 157 bhp.
Fitted as we tow a trailer with our Mx5 on it to various shows here in UK and Abroad. was getting 26-27 mpg before fitting and now regularly get 32 mpg ! and 37 mpg driving solo !!
Bought it off ebay from a company called the "Italian Box" £89 delivered fast delivery and easy to fit, been on our motorhome for 2 years now with no problems.
Just done the same to my Audi A3 1.9 tdi so will see how that goes, lot quicker of the mark and am getting 68mpg when on cruise at 69mph on the motorway::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

ps told insurance it was as I towed and it made no difference

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Does it affect your insurance with these devices fitted? :Smile:
you should notify them as it will increase the bhp of the engine and significantly affect the vehicles performance. chances are they will note it down but no increase in premium. however if you fail to notify them and later have an accident and an inspection shows it fitted, then your insurance can be voided. All accident damaged vehicles get inspected by an engineer to gauge condition and value etc and they specifically look for undeclared modifications

i am not calling anyone on here stupid, but only a fool fails to declare an engine modification to their insurer. it can be a very expensive mistake to make

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back