PLUG IN SYSTEMS battery charger not giving out any volts (1 Viewer)

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
hi im new to this forum but in one days membership have got advice and repaired/replaced 2 relay switches and now have a leisure battery that charges has it should when engine is running ,so time to try to solve 2nd problem on my very long list
i have a 1995 swift royale and the battery charger (PLUG IN SYSTEMS )isn't charging, it has mains power to it and switch on top of charger lights up but the red wire and white wire that leave it give very little volts ,at moment 4.6 and dropping ,it looks to me like the leisure battery when connected to the charger is sending power back into the charger because when i first disconnect the feed to the battery it reads what ever the battery is but starts dropping immediately.i have no experience with these chargers so my question is ,is it buggered or is there something i must do ,ive checked the fuse annd thats fine and working also i have a normal car battery charger that i will use if needed until i sort this problem and move onto my next on the list ,thanks in advance

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Measure battery voltage with charger disconnected. Connect charger and switch on mains supply. Re-check battery voltage and it should be higher. Check again the following day when battery voltage should be in excess of 13.5v.

OP
OP
Drexel

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
thanks tonyidle
ive done this and the charge didn't rise and left over night it dropped so definitely not giving any charge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
From your description it looks like the charger isn’t doing anything.
We used to have a 1998 Swift Royale with the same charger, When I needed spares I used http://www.expluginsteve.co.uk/
Mightbe worth giving him a call, he should be able to help you and supply a new charger if necessary.

OP
OP
Drexel

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
thanks Allanm ,ive just checked his site and it says the model i have ,it says

KT12SM and Interpower Unit can have a push and twist style fuseholder. Use a flat bladed screwdriver that fills the head to push and twist the centre insert anticlockwise to release the fuse. Replace the fuse if failed with the rating indicated. If the unit still fails a complete replacement charger is usually required.
So with this in mind ill use the battery charger i have for the up coming holiday and then look into a more permanent fix
ill try to sort out my next on the very long list of repairs next (hot water taps no flow )

OP
OP
Drexel

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
hi has anyone any ideas has to whether a smart charger ie a halfords type could be permanently wired in to replace the KT12SM unit that isnt working ,i will need to buy the charger but it seems an easier and more affordable fix but theres a good chance im missing a obvious problem ,thanks in advance

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I would imagine that you need a charger that can also supply the habitiation demand so something that will give you around 20A on demand. If your smart charger can do that then it should be fine.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
can see why not in my self buil;d i used an intelligent charger wired via a fused spur to the ehu modern chargers are probably better than the one fitted
just seen the post above yes mine was 20 amp think the recomendation is 10% of battery capacity

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When we went over to lithium batteries I replaced our existing wet battery 240v charger with a Victron mains charger as it has setting for various battery types and was cheaper than other 20A smart chargers that could handle lithium like the Ctek's, plus with it being bluetooth you can see the battery state via your smartphone, and by chance it fitted in the same place as our old charger.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=163585482922

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
hi has anyone any ideas has to whether a smart charger ie a halfords type could be permanently wired in to replace the KT12SM unit that isnt working ,i will need to buy the charger but it seems an easier and more affordable fix but theres a good chance im missing a obvious problem ,thanks in advance
Photonic Universe do a reasonably priced smart charger 20 amp version only £95 (10% discount if a member of C&CC) Richard and Ann has just fitted one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
KT12SM charger on eBay at the moment. £65 + p&p
Item 233272970989
I can only assume the 12 in KT12SM mean 12amp.
Why replace a like for like 12amp charger when a 20 amp charger will be far superior and only a few quid more.

OP
OP
Drexel

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
hi all
thanks for the great advice and recommendations has im living in southern Ireland but originally from sheffield the shipping cost can make a big difference so ive narrowed my search down to

Photonic Universe 20 amp 12 volt intelligent charger (£94.99 +£18.99 shipping )
has any one any experience with this charger or is able to point out any obvious to you flaws in my choice ,ive seen better priced 20 amp chargers but id be concerned that id be buying trouble also some seem vey good but shipping can be has high has £40

OP
OP
Drexel

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
correction to above postage cost seems if i buy the
Photonic Universe 20 amp 12 volt intelligent charger
off the same seller using ebay instead of from their web site shipping drops to (£6.99)

OP
OP
Drexel

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
just thought id update my battery charger issues
i ordered,received and fitted a
Photonic Universe
20A 12V Intelligent Automatic Multi-stage Mains Battery Charger with LCD display
and feel very confident and happy with the purchase, had it running over night with fridge on 12 volt and seems to be perfect so its probably time to move onto my next on the list of repair ,solve problems ,so thanks for the great advice and recommendations

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back