Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Hi have posted on here a few times, but spend most of my time reading all the info on here.
We are both considering/or have been for some time, going fulltime we have everything in place to be able to do it.

We will both have to be near the town that we live as we both still have to work, are there people on here that actually go to work doing regular 9to5 jobs so to speak? I know some of you are fortunate enough to work from the MH. We will spend a lot of the time on CL/CS sites in summer without EHU as we have two 80w solars and two 125ah battery's so hoping that will be enough to power of grid and in colder climes on EHU for the heating.

We have always in our lives been looking for the alternate life style, and are both sick and tired of the ever increase in the cost of living ie bills,bills bloody bills:Angry:

It probably sounds like we can't afford the day to day costs of living, we can, as we both have well paid jobs. But I think there is more to life than putting the majority of your hard earned into bills.

We rent at the moment and the tenancy is up for renewal at the end of Febuary after which we have roughly 2 months before we leave, we have a house which we rent out to our daughter and her boyfriend which is our nest egg for the future :))
It's just plucking up the courage to turn your back on everything you thought should be the norm, conformity, who needs it.
Look forward to any advise you all might have, hope this all comes across ok.
All the best for the New Year
Mike and Nic:Smile:

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Thanks Peter, that the first time someone has said something nice about my van. It usually gets a good kicking, it's been great for us. Yeah will always keep hold of the house for the future I know some sell the lot, too scary for me though.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi we live near you Carlton in Cleveland near Stokesley. Hope it all works out for you. :thumb:

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Thanks Ken and Steph, yeah still chucking the idea about, we have been through it so many times. Then we say na, lets stay as we are but we always come back to it. I think it is going to be a case of suck it and see, if it isn't for us then back to renting. But it's still not easy to make the final decision.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Go for it guys what have you got to lose, I would love to do what you are doing:thumb: unfortunately SWMBO wont let go of the house so we got to go on paying:cry:anyway good luck and hopefully see you about:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I know nothing but I imagine one necessity would be an address? for banks/employers/DVLA/tax office etc etc. Good luck :Cool:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Good luck to you, if it's not what you expect it to be you can always go back to renting. I've got an interview next week for a job in London to do with the olympics, if all goes well wifey will retire from work and come down to London to look after me whilst we live down there in the van. Quite excited about the prospect actually.
Geoff.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Youre in a good position to try it out and have nothing to lose, you've got to find somewhere else in a month or so anyway so why not try it for a while and if you don't like it you can move back to renting. I'm sure your daughter will act as an address for you, especially as you own the house anyway.:thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I know nothing but I imagine one necessity would be an address? for banks/employers/DVLA/tax office etc etc. Good luck :Cool:

Perhaps mikkidee could use the house they own and his daughter help with forwarding the mail? We do it all the time for our kids that travel about, but use our address when required.

mikkidee, I think key to whether to proceed with full-timing is to check how much in agreement you and your wife are about the idea. If it's just one of you that is enthusiastic, and the other is less than enthusiastic, than there could be complications down the road so to speak. But if you share the same enthusiasm equally, then without doubt go for it.

And in any case, as others have said, and you also mentioned, you could still return to renting property if full-timing doesn't work out.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Good luck to you, if it's not what you expect it to be you can always go back to renting. I've got an interview next week for a job in London to do with the olympics, if all goes well wifey will retire from work and come down to London to look after me whilst we live down there in the van. Quite excited about the prospect actually.
Geoff.:thumb:[ Good luck with the interview, and good luck with living in the van if the interview goes well.
Mike

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi have posted on here a few times, but spend most of my time reading all the info on here.
We are both considering/or have been for some time, going fulltime we have everything in place to be able to do it.

We will both have to be near the town that we live as we both still have to work, are there people on here that actually go to work doing regular 9to5 jobs so to speak? I know some of you are fortunate enough to work from the MH. We will spend a lot of the time on CL/CS sites in summer without EHU as we have two 80w solars and two 125ah battery's so hoping that will be enough to power of grid and in colder climes on EHU for the heating.

We have always in our lives been looking for the alternate life style, and are both sick and tired of the ever increase in the cost of living ie bills,bills bloody bills:Angry:

It probably sounds like we can't afford the day to day costs of living, we can, as we both have well paid jobs. But I think there is more to life than putting the majority of your hard earned into bills.

We rent at the moment and the tenancy is up for renewal at the end of Febuary after which we have roughly 2 months before we leave, we have a house which we rent out to our daughter and her boyfriend which is our nest egg for the future :))
It's just plucking up the courage to turn your back on everything you thought should be the norm, conformity, who needs it.
Look forward to any advise you all might have, hope this all comes across ok.
All the best for the New Year
Mike and Nic:Smile:
if you think fultimeing a s a way to stop the bills then think again
its not all savings as you will soon find out
looks good on paper looks good in principle you will soon fimd out it is not all as easy as you seam to think it is
i know a few who live full time in a MH and work
you still have site fees and the biggest cost of all is depreciation what will your MH be worth in five years time ?? how will you replace it ? at what cost?
you rent your house to your daughter and rent a house for your selves do you have a mortgage on the daughters house ???
seams a bit of cock an bull way of doing things if you ask me
house owner renting a house to live in ??? crazy want am i missing here??? :Doh:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
missing?
Have you considered the depreciation and running costs of a motorhome are much the same whether you live in it or not and rent can be 600 a month or more plus electric/gas insurance etc.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
HI Mikkidee. There will always be people on here with different ideas, but the decision is yours alone and if you are lucky enough to have a lady who has no hangups about having no fixed abode, you are a lucky man... As Peter said, you have your house sorted and that is your "address" for mail etc. You can always go back to renting if you need a break and who knows it may end up being somewhere HOT. The very best of luck to you both, we only live once..
. Mitch and Jenny.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think you have found the perfect time to try it out, as others have said you have nothing to loose. If you don't try it you may always think what if, good luck with it.

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
house owner renting a house to live in ??? crazy want am i missing here??? :Doh:

The house is our future nest egg, I wouldn't choose to live there, renting gives us flexibility we can live where we want and are not tied to one particular property as when you have a mortgage:Smile:
Mike

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good luck.. we sold up in 2006 and fulltimed for three years... but it didn't suit us and now back in a house and glad we are... . so ensure you have a 'get out of jail card'

most, if not all of your doubts and questions have been asked and discussed at length in the forum.. you may want to have a look and join our sister forum Motorhome365 which is dedicated to fulltimers and those considering it.. it is totally free with no limit on number of questions .. http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/
There will be many things you may not have thought of so read others experiences and don't be pressured into making a decision ..

Many who have no personal knowledge or experience of fulltiming give advice .. so when someone says 'just do it' ask them if they have done it, and if not why are they giving that advice.. listen to those who have.. not those who dream...

Celticspirit

Free Member
Mar 19, 2014
Barmouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
no regrets

Hi,
From my own experience i would recommend having a safety net and once that's in place going for it.My partner and i set off 18 months ago without ever having a camper before..and it has totally changed our lives...at the start we planned as much as we could ,eventually we learned to go with the flow, if you have any questions,get in touch.
:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Long time no see mikkidee ?
I fitted Mike's solar panels a long time ago now but I can only assume they're still pumping the amps in as not heard a peep :thumb:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi,
From my own experience i would recommend having a safety net and once that's in place going for it.My partner and i set off 18 months ago without ever having a camper before..and it has totally changed our lives...at the start we planned as much as we could ,eventually we learned to go with the flow, if you have any questions,get in touch.
:thumb:
good to hear that youre living the dream and just going for it. sadly the original post on this thread was made 2 years ago and the poster is no longer a paid up member. Im sure your story will help give others the courage to go for it though:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back