sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
For some time I have been using my home QNAP server to manage TV recordings via 2 HDHomerun Quatros (gives you 8 recording tuners in effect) for several years and am onto my second server upgrade. I have used Plex as my media management tool initially for its basic abilities and also the roaming access. This was enhanced when I started the transition from Satalite TV on the van and moved to Firetv as there was a Plex app for the stick. I had bought a lifetime pass on Plex so I seemed set and indeed was for a couple of years.
At first all went well but over the last year maybe longer, after Plex changed its guide data provider from Gracenote, the whole package has turned sour. Recordings missed, guide data failing to download or download correctly. To get a season of something complete became a triumph. Whilst all this was going on Plex appeared focused on addon services like their own TV channels and so on. I signed up for what is a much more expensive option of Channels, $80 per year or $8 monthly against the $100 or so that I paid for my life time Plex pass.
I used Channels to record and Plex to distribute the media. Then Plex appeared to get its guide together so I suspended my Channels sub. We are now away and Plex is up to its old tricks and missing recordings and gaps in the guide. Once again I am missing episodes of a season.
Channels now has its own Firetv app, its remote access is stable and so I have disabled the Plex DVR and switched back to Channels and may just dump Plex completely. I can access my server via VPN so I have been able to make the changes remotely. An added benefit is that using the Channels app on the FireTV gives you live TV as well if that is your choice.
Channels appears to be totaly focused on one service, live TV, whereas Plex wants to manage all your media and it is losing the plot in my opinion. I want just well managed TV that I can access to view and record remotely reliably.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Accurate programme guides as to what's on and when are the key, the difficulty is in getting a reliable set up. I mainly access tv through a firestick but recording is a pain so I just use other methods to binge watch ....

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well I have been running a Plex server for 4 years now and have 40TB worth of movies, complete TV series, Children's TV, Documentaries, talking books and music, etc, etc. Some members of MHF have access and use it most nights (I have very fast internet). My software downloads whatever is on TV etc so no need for BBC iplayer etc....
screen.jpg

tv1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well I have been running a Plex server for 4 years now and have 40TB worth of movies, complete TV series, Children's TV, Documentaries, talking books and music, etc, etc. Some members of MHF have access and use it most nights (I have very fast internet). My software downloads whatever is on TV etc so no need for BBC iplayer etc....
View attachment 426703
Like you John I have multiple TB of stuff and have had it for several years. Clearly you do not have the problem that I have experienced, and indeed many on the Plex user forum, of UK guide issues. What platform are you running on, QNAP, Synology? I am wondering if its a QNAP issue for me?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
QNAP is the problem as there is not enough memory to transcode. My setup is an old mac mini with 16GB of ram memory (more than enough for playing 4K movies etc) - this is accessing my Synology NAS sitting next to it. Most nights I have an average of 15 users (some direct playing some my mac mini transcoding - I have users from all over the world) I also have IPTV (UK TV) running into Plex, but do not share that with anyone, so I have UK TV here in Spain.
PM me with your Plex user name (do not post it here!) and I will give you a 48hr play around.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
John the issue is not with transcoding it is the guide either missing detail or Plex not recording some episodes so I record a series and forget about it go to play it and find I only have 5 out of 6 for example. When I switched to Channels testing last year and had Plex watching the folder not one episode of anything was missed. Thanks for the offer, you clearly have a substantial setup, may I take that up when I get home in November (currently in Sicily in MH)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I don’t really understand a single word of this, but I have one question.
Does this do away with BT, sky etc?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
John the issue is not with transcoding it is the guide either missing detail or Plex not recording some episodes so I record a series and forget about it go to play it and find I only have 5 out of 6 for example. When I switched to Channels testing last year and had Plex watching the folder not one episode of anything was missed. Thanks for the offer, you clearly have a substantial setup, may I take that up when I get home in November (currently in Sicily in MH)
Michael, I have IPTV linked to Plex and it records fine via the TV guide however, I use another EPG provider (there are many) and not Plex's recommendations. Now I think HDHomerun Quatros have EPG build in (not sure) but Plex DVR does not see them. Perhaps when you link to your HD-Homerun rather than using Plex's EPG try an external provide (they are free).

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I don’t really understand a single word of this, but I have one question.
Does this do away with BT, sky etc?
No, you will still need BT for your internet connection annd you will still need Sky for your TV channels. I cannot get Sky UK here in Spain (not without a 2.4metre dish!) so I use IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) so I have all of the channels Sky provides.... The Plex is for want of a better description like Netflix or Amazon Prime TV. In my case I have 1000+ TV complete series dating back to the early 60's and Movies 4000+ movies dating back to the 1930's. I have been doing this for 10+ years. Plex can be run on a smart TV, computer, phone or smart device like Firestick or Apple TV.
The only thing you need is an internet connection and access to someone's Plex server. There are loads of servers out there some are free some are not. The free ones work well but disappear overnight when the novelty wears off.
Hope this helps you.

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
No, you will still need BT for your internet connection annd you will still need Sky for your TV channels. I cannot get Sky UK here in Spain (not without a 2.4metre dish!) so I use IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) so I have all of the channels Sky provides.... The Plex is for want of a better description like Netflix or Amazon Prime TV. In my case I have 1000+ TV complete series dating back to the early 60's and Movies 4000+ movies dating back to the 1930's. I have been doing this for 10+ years. Plex can be run on a smart TV, computer, phone or smart device like Firestick or Apple TV.
The only thing you need is an internet connection and access to someone's Plex server. There are loads of servers out there some are free some are not. The free ones work well but disappear overnight when the novelty wears off.
Hope this helps you.
Spot on thank you, very descriptive, something to look into👍

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Same here been in this type of business for well over 20 years plus but my plex server is bare started fresh due to a hard drive issue 😤.

MHF sharing group may be a good idea.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Same here been in this type of business for well over 20 years plus but my plex server is bare started fresh due to a hard drive issue 😤.

MHF sharing group may be a good idea.
I have belonged to a few "share" groups in the past whilst learning and you will find that very quickly they stop sharing or have the same content as your server or they share on your server (happens a lot). I'm not saying MHF members would do that.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Everyday is a school day, never heard of plex thanks for the info.
Not of any interest to me personally but always interesting to read about techy things, even if half of it goes over my head.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I've been using Plex when touring. Very useful to be able to watch Live TV from home in areas where IPlayer does not work. I use HDHomerun Quattro and a DS918+ Synology NAS which does the transcoding very nicely. Just for information really, and would recommend something like this to those touring, if you have a good Internet connection! I was surprised how watchable it was even at very low streaming rates when you are under pressure to show The Repair Shop :LOL: ...
Cheers

Cooper007

Free Member
May 29, 2023
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2014 McLouis Nevis
Spent some time reading up on Plex & Streaming, would love to set-up a server, Don Quixote seems to have lot knowledge, tho I see he has not posted from June last year? Don Quixote if you reading this? love touch base via PM see if we can share information? Do not see PM tab for Don Quixote, Think his name is John? if anyone can help me reach out to him? Will pay membership fee over weekend, as this forum is fantastic - Stay safe

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
My Plex server is still working well:
I use a Synology NAS, Plex and HDHomerun for the TV (usually through Amazon though out of stock - eBay has a couple listed at a price!).
Just an example is given above. You need a powerful enough NAS to do video. It means I can stream and record wherever I am in the world.

Cheers

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I still also have my server but these days not worth it with IPTV around.

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
I have been running a Plex server for quite a number of years now.
I run Freenas on a Rock Intel i7 motherboard running at 4.1ghz 32gig ram and 22Tb of storage. Full redundancy. I can lose two drives at any one time and it still runs. Very happy with the setup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back