Plenty of hot water but red light for heating (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Transit Coachbuilt
Exp
Well travelled ex tugger.
Having not used the van for a while, whilst at Malvern last weekend we had lots of hot water but after a few moments the red light came on on my control switch if I selected heating. Lots of gas available tried all 3 cooker rings and oven with no drop in flame,I fitted a new regulator about 2 years ago and have hardly used it since.
My system is a Dometic hot air blower with Gaslow tank and fittings.
Is there anything easy to check, fuses etc or is it straight to gas engineer?

Thanks guys,
Daiboy

OP
OP
D
Sep 21, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Transit Coachbuilt
Exp
Having not used the van for a while, whilst at Malvern last weekend we had lots of hot water but after a few moments the red light came on on my control switch if I selected heating. Lots of gas available tried all 3 cooker rings and oven with no drop in flame,I fitted a new regulator about 2 years ago and have hardly used it since.
My system is a Dometic hot air blower with Gaslow tank and fittings.
Is there anything easy to check, fuses etc or is it straight to gas engineer?

Thanks guys,
Daiboy
Sorry unable to edit post but should read TRUMA hot air blower not Dometic. Thanks.

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
When this happened to us a while back it was the gas supply. Do you have two Gaslow bottles? If so have you tried both? If you have only the one, I'd suggest filling it up. When we had our problem our gas and fridge were working OK, but apparently these require a lower gas pressure than the heating unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
No idea,but just a thought…does it work on leccie?

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
When this happened to us a while back it was the gas supply. Do you have two Gaslow bottles? If so have you tried both? If you have only the one, I'd suggest filling it up. When we had our problem our gas and fridge were working OK, but apparently these require a lower gas pressure than the heating unit.
We recently had exactly the same problem. Changed to the full Gaslow bottle and the problem went away. Fridge and hob have continued to work on the nearly empty Gaslow cylinder.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I’ve had this problem, once or twice. What I usually do is switch off the Truma then switch it back on and it does the trick.

OP
OP
D
Sep 21, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Transit Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you all for your replies. I have a dual gas system, large underslung Gaslow and a Calor gas system. Each with its own regulator so that I can switch between LPG and bottled gas depending on supply. I’ve tried both system and made sure that the pipes are bled by running the 3 cooker rings for a while. Still the same problem, I can hear the boiler trying to light up but switch off after a minute or so.
things have now got worse as the hot water won’t work either, so it’s off to the engineer.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Just for clarity…. Were you on ehu when it was making hot water and is there a vent cover to take off for gas?

on occasion I have used ehu to provide hot water and when I tried to use the gas the vent cover was still on so it wouldn’t fire up on gas, giving the red light on the control panel but hot water because it was switched on for 230 too.

just a thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Sep 21, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Transit Coachbuilt
Exp
Just for clarity…. Were you on ehu when it was making hot water and is there a vent cover to take off for gas?

on occasion I have used ehu to provide hot water and when I tried to use the gas the vent cover was still on so it wouldn’t fire up on gas, giving the red light on the control panel but hot water because it was switched on for 230 too.

just a thought.
Thanks Cush, but not on EHU and on mine there is no vent to remove. Daiboy

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
try running it with the vehicle running red light can be low voltage it would run heating but when the fan kicks in for heating it goes low

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I’ve had this problem, once or twice. What I usually do is switch off the Truma then switch it back on and it does the trick.
It is usually this.
After a period of inactivity/gas bottle turned off, the Truma Water heater is the last gas powered device to be happy when the bottle is turned on again.

When the red light comes on a reason is too much air in the gas pipe.
As a safety feature, it will not rectify the 'fault' or retry to light the burner.

Turn off the water heater. wait a couple of minutes (User Manual says 5min, iirc! but two mins works for our Motorhome :think: )
Then turn back on.
If there is gas about, the fault clears.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Thanks Cush, but not on EHU and on mine there is no vent to remove. Daiboy
Worth a try. Hope you get it sorted. Must admit when my gas has been off for a while I find that using the gas hob helps get gas through the lines and the fridge and boiler then ignite earlier. Same with gas heater. Just one of those little quirks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back