Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Just been out to the MH which has been on EHU for 2 days and was hit but eggy gas smell and when I felt the leasure battery it was red hot so have diconected it and removed it from the MH its a 2012 bailey 760 and only had it just over week any thoughts before I phone the dealer in the morning as they are about 125 miles away and daughter going away in MH on Thursday
Manual says battery charger will not over charge the battery BUT it also says do not leave connected to supply if you are not using the MH
Should say lesure battery before we get any smart replies

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Sounds like either a knackered battery or the charger over charging(doubtful with some of the cheap and nasty chargers used in motorhomes) , be careful if you can smell that eggy smell the fumes are highly explosive and believe me when they blow they blow pretty damn well.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I wondered what this post was when I saw the title. Spellchecker strikes again.

It sounds like your charger may have cooked the battery, or the battery may have an internal short.

If you can get another battery then put that in and measure the voltage with the charger on, depending on what sort of charger it is it will either charge up to around 13.6v and stay there, or if it's a more intelligent one it may again go up to around 13.6v but will have an occasional burst up to around 14.5v.

If it is constantly above 13.6v then the charger is probably faulty, if it isn't then it is probably your battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check the cells on the battery to see if they have any water in - you might be able to do this through the casing depending on the make as some are translucent. If they are down on water you can try topping them up and then charging the battery up again (on a bench charger preferably) but I suspect your battery has now well and truly been knackered, whether it was at fault originally, or the charging system in the camper, I can't say though. Your dealer should really authorise you to get it checked locally if they are worth their salt, so it might be worth contacting a local battery outlet who can check it for you, even if they can't supply you with one off the shelf, so that if the dealer agrees you know you can get it done.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Batteries start to gas at 13.8v.. When initially charging you might see higher than that but as the battery charges it should sit around that figure whilst on charge..

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have had a battery explode in one of my cars, be careful. It stopped at the end of our road when my wife was using it. I went to have a look, the battery smelt of eggs, was warm, and a slight hissing also came from it. Terminals tight, i closed the bonnet, turned the key, and BANG! The force put a dent in the bonnet lid, and when i opened the bonnet, all that was left was the terminals in the leads. ~~Dissintegrated~~. If my wife had been with me i would have had my head under the bonnet whilst she tried to start it. A very close shave. Be very, very careful with batteries.

~Craig

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Going to take it local caravan dealer tomorrow morning and see what they say before I phone the dealer at 9
Thanks for all the replies

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
If you've only had it a week I'd get right back on to the dealer without touching it

I'm assuming on that age of van you have some sort of warranty with the dealer

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I bought a brand new motorhome and my first night away the thing was COOKING. I took it back the next day and they fitted a replacement from another new van. That one wouldn't hold a charge.

Likely scenario is the dealer gave someone else your battery or the battery was allowed to discharge fully.

Modern vans have got complex chargers that should charge a good battery.

My advice is to contact the dealer and explain the fault. Explain you plans and see what he suggests............a good dealer should let you take your van to a reputable workshop close at hand and pay for a new battery.

PS hope your Leisure's a pleasure.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
When we got the van week past Friday we went straight off in it and had no problems on EHU but suspect that we were just drawing off the power that was being put in if that makes sense. When we got home on the Monday the van was left until sat past when I found that we had no power on 12v so suspected battery was flat so connected to EHU and found the smell tonight when I went into the van.
Will phone the dealer when they open tomorrow

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
dealer has arranged for local distributor to supply a new battery today (said was not covered under warranty) and once I fit it I will get local dealer to check the charger at my expense as do not have a volt meter and don't think I would know how to check if the charger was working or not

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Probably not much help but it looks like the dealer who sold it to you is taking the line often heard here of "not my problem" after selling you the vehicle. He will be saying the battery is not covered by the warranty on the basis it is a consumable, like tyres and brake pads. This is normal but if you have only had the MH a week you could reasonably assume the fault with the battery or charging system was present when you bought it - which means it was defective at the point of sale. This is his problem. I would call him again and see how they react to the charge this was a pre-existing fault and if the response is unsatisfactory then call Consumer Advice Bureau - and tell the dealer this is what you will be doing.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
sorry post maybe not clear although dealer said battery not covered under warranty they did eventually agree to supply a new one which I collected from the distributor.
I am getting the charger check myself just to be sure.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
battery supplied is a Yuasa 100amp anyone know anything about them

good or bad

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
SomeoneElse

yes the battery that came with the MoHo was a Varta 105AH but only replacement I can get here off the shelf was the Yuasa 100AH so just wondering if anyone knew anything about them
thanks for the reply

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
battery supplied is a Yuasa 100amp anyone know anything about them

good or bad

Yuasa is a large international battery company, I think it is Japanese. My Subaru has one (original equipment). The Yuasa website says they are world leaders in valve-regulated batteries and their product range pdf includes a small 'leisure' range.
http://www.yuasaeurope.com/en-gb/

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Your battery has probably got a dead cell , which could cause it to over heat. Hopefully your consumer/charging unit is fine.
SomeoneElse

yes the battery that came with the MoHo was a Varta 105AH but only replacement I can get here off the shelf was the Yuasa 100AH so just wondering if anyone knew anything about them
thanks for the reply
Have your original battery tested when your there....who knows you maybe able to salvage it.(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
SomeoneElse

thanks for the reply

yes, I've seen them in UPS systems for computer and instrument control back up system on a refinery .. whole rooms full of them...

Also widely used in the off shore industry for emergency lighting etc etc ,..

so can't be bad.. I'd say you have done well.. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would say just about every motorbike in the world has a Yuasa battery.

But that doesnt mean they can make a decent leisure battery.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the replies it seems the original battery was a dual purpose and could be used for van or leisure as SomeoneElse has said so maybe that's why it failed at 2 years.
New battery fitted and when not on hook up reading about 12.7 from memory and when hooked up goes up to 13.6 sound about right ????

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
When we bought our Autotrail new from Elite motorhomes the leisure battery failed at a Funster meet at Newark.

I phoned Elite and they said just buy a battery at the show and give us the bill for a refund.

Can't complain about that they have been a great company to deal with. (y)

I would like to have thought your seller would have had the same attitude :(

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Thanks for the replies it seems the original battery was a dual purpose and could be used for van or leisure as SomeoneElse has said so maybe that's why it failed at 2 years.
New battery fitted and when not on hook up reading about 12.7 from memory and when hooked up goes up to 13.6 sound about right ????
All's well that ends well, dealers are not all bad.
Enjoy your new motorhome and i hope all problems resolved as fast as this one.:clap::clap::clap:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
On the subject of batteries my hab battery has recently given up the ghost after only 9 months. The battery had been purchased by the previous owner of the van on line. My local garage prepared a report for me (in return for a few bottles of cider) stating that the battery was indeed faulty and unable to hold a charge. They also conducted a leak test to make sure the vehicle was not drawing current when everything was switched off.

I contacted the supplier who had a replacement battery with me the next day and the old battery collected the day after. No fuss, just excellent service.

As a result I have no hesitation in recommending www.advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk for both price and service for all your vehicle and hab battery needs.

P.S
We do not like the thought of Devon Beekeepers synapses being twisted......can anyone suggest something he could maybe rub on them to ease the discomfort?

ATB

The Tinca's

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
Yuasa took over Lucas and good batteries. I only sell Yuasa batteries here at my work and have no probs with them. It should have a 3 year warrenty.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Very close to spot-on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back