Please someone tell me not all kon tiki vans are bad (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
morning all,

Some may have read some of my previous posts so sorry if this sounds familiar.
We have been looking this year for a motorhome round about 2005 age. The first one we saw was the autocruise wentworth 2 berth which had the layout we were looking for but small bathroom. On looking about we then found the swift Kon Tiki 655 which was an even better layout with the big back bathroom ( bessacarr e 745 is the same layout) both swift . What we liked about this is that it is 4 berth but with the same layout we are looking for but gives us the choice of sleeping above the cab.
Does anyone know of other vans with same layout or are there people out there that are happy with the Kon Tiki etc
I am getting so confused as there aren't any motorhome showrooms locally, we keep traveling to see some but don't seem to find any other spacious vans . We both work full time and finding to get time to run around the country viewing .
Wish list :
Lounge with two bench seats opposite, swivel cab chairs , good kitchen work space, full size cooker, fridge freezer , separate shower, good size bathroom and light and airy.
Appreiciate all advice

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I had a Swift a few years ago and was very happy with it, as are a huge number of motorhome owners. After making motorhomes and caravans for decades they wouldn't be one of or the biggest manufacturer in the UK

I for the last few years have had American RV's but I have also owned high end German vans

We take motorhomes to pieces for a living and have seen good and bad in virtually every make I can think of right from the top!

Pick a van that you like, that suits your budget and don't worry about reputation.

You'd be pig sick to buy your "second choice" motorhome, based on a third parties opinion only to have problems with it!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thing is , if you like the van , have it fully checked out , re, damp mainly from what I've heard , shame to give up on the van you like because problems others have had, if it's 2005 and still ok it's not likely to fall to bits now, and I think it is the later ones that have the most trouble, there must be thousands about , can't all be wet(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Hi, the Kon Tiki are sometimes called the Kon Leaky as Swift have had some past issues with water ingress. I do not believe this is now the case as they have changed the build design.
As with all makes, everyone has differing opinions of who makes the best vans. The reality is that we are all different and are looking for different things so pick what suits you and not what others tell you you should have.
The most important thing to do is be absolutely sure that whatever van you choose to buy is exactly as you think it is. Any damp issues can be horrendously expensive to repair and could make the van almost worthless. Dealers are safer regarding protecting your rights but private will be cheaper (and riskier if you miss something major).
Do your homework, invest in a good damp meter and take your time to buy right first time.
Try to get to a show to see a bigger choice than any one dealer will have. It is not only new that they show and sell so you should get a better idea.
Don't be afraid to take your shoes off and put your feet up while imagining sitting there for an evening.
Then once you have your pride and joy, enjoy it :)

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I met a German with a tag axle Swift.
He said it ws the best MH he had ever bought.
If you buy a used Kon Tiki that has no damp problems
Then you should be OK
If you buy any make with a damp problem then you will have problems.
I would rather have a well looked after Kon Tiky than any other make that had been neglected.

Mel

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In the early days the 'leaky Kontiki' was infamous for water ingress but it was sorted out. Leaks were never confined to just one brand of motorhome they are all susceptible to it. Which is why you should never buy any van, even those with a perceived good reputation, without a thorough damp test.
Poor fitting of after-market items like Satellite, Solar and TV etc can lead to water ingress and subsequent rot, as can replacement skylights, windows and doors. Poor maintenance of seals and surrounds of those items will lead to damp/rot. Don't worry too much, bad cases of damp are easy to spot/smell and if it's discovered early it's mostly very easily treated.

If you do buy a seriously damp motorhome, it will literally rot away, damp meters are good for finding early signs but if it's serious your nose will tell you.

We know what damp smells like. Does it smell? Smell inside cupboards, wardrobes and under the sink. Be wary of strong air fresheners they may well be there to hide the smell of damp. Study the roof lining and look for visible stains and water marks. Pay particular attention around the roof vent openings and where walls meet ceiling and where walls meet walls. Look for rust showing on any tacks, screws or staples.

Look inside the overhead cabinets and check the ceiling. Mildew stains may show up as black spots on ceilings and wallboards, but behind the scenes, where the water has entered there may well be dry-rot problems. Check the area where the wall panel meets the floor for water marks, also look carefully in all the corners, these will often be in cupboards, but look carefully as corners are very susceptible to leaking. Look in the area underneath each window. Water ingress can also cause delamination to walls and floor.

Once water is getting in, it may travel to a different part of the motorhome and do its damage there. The cost of putting right rotting walls, floors or ceilings is horrendous so always test for damp and if in doubt walk away. For every damp leaking motorhome on sale, there are thousands of cosy dry ones.

Best of luck in your hunt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello Diane, some sound advice there but have you seen the layout on the Autotrail Cheyenne 635 it matches your wants apart from the fridge /freezer it has a fridge with a freezer compartment at the top ,we have one and its been the best layout for us and we have had a few vans ,if we had the money our dream van would be the Hymer b544 that is the one .:LOL:

Upvote 0

mikeh71

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Diane

I for one can vouch for the Swift Kon-tiki, we have the 645 which I believe ticks all of your requirements. We purchased ours this year after around 6-8 months of searching. While we are more than happy with the motorhome etc we are not using it as much as we thought we would, mainly due to a change in work circumstances therefore it may be up for sale in a month or so.

You are more than welcome to come and have a look as we are up the M1 from you.

Many thanks and good luck in your search.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Hi Diane, Like you we wanted bench seating etc. and liked the Autocruise Wentworth that much last year we purchased one on a 55 plate, from a dealer. We have been delighted with it. The bathroom is not as small as it seems, we used it fully for the first time at Bristol Balloon Fiesta as it was on a Rugby Club field with limited facilities. It is big enough to shower in,,, what else do you need it for,, the rear area is suitable as a dressing room with the front sealed off. Prior to that we spent 8 weeks in Spain/France and really enjoyed it. One problem is filling all the available storage space,, we are still trying,, but otherwise it works for us. We may have been fortunate in that the van came with solar panel, awning, towbar, alarm, reverse camera and cab blinds so we did not need to upgrade much at all.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Diane. We have a 2004 Kontiki 660 and are very happy with it. :)We have had no issues with damp and the only problems we have had are the sort of things any brand would have. As has been said do your research and perhaps get a habitation check done independently. Good hunting!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
In the early days the 'leaky Kontiki' was infamous for water ingress but it was sorted out. Leaks were never confined to just one brand of motorhome they are all susceptible to it. Which is why you should never buy any van, even those with a perceived good reputation, without a thorough damp test.
Poor fitting of after-market items like Satellite, Solar and TV etc can lead to water ingress and subsequent rot, as can replacement skylights, windows and doors. Poor maintenance of seals and surrounds of those items will lead to damp/rot. Don't worry too much, bad cases of damp are easy to spot/smell and if it's discovered early it's mostly very easily treated.

If you do buy a seriously damp motorhome, it will literally rot away, damp meters are good for finding early signs but if it's serious your nose will tell you.

We know what damp smells like. Does it smell? Smell inside cupboards, wardrobes and under the sink. Be wary of strong air fresheners they may well be there to hide the smell of damp. Study the roof lining and look for visible stains and water marks. Pay particular attention around the roof vent openings and where walls meet ceiling and where walls meet walls. Look for rust showing on any tacks, screws or staples.

Look inside the overhead cabinets and check the ceiling. Mildew stains may show up as black spots on ceilings and wallboards, but behind the scenes, where the water has entered there may well be dry-rot problems. Check the area where the wall panel meets the floor for water marks, also look carefully in all the corners, these will often be in cupboards, but look carefully as corners are very susceptible to leaking. Look in the area underneath each window. Water ingress can also cause delamination to walls and floor.

Once water is getting in, it may travel to a different part of the motorhome and do its damage there. The cost of putting right rotting walls, floors or ceilings is horrendous so always test for damp and if in doubt walk away. For every damp leaking motorhome on sale, there are thousands of cosy dry ones.

Best of luck in your hunt.
Thank you this is very helpful

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Diane, Like you we wanted bench seating etc. and liked the Autocruise Wentworth that much last year we purchased one on a 55 plate, from a dealer. We have been delighted with it. The bathroom is not as small as it seems, we used it fully for the first time at Bristol Balloon Fiesta as it was on a Rugby Club field with limited facilities. It is big enough to shower in,,, what else do you need it for,, the rear area is suitable as a dressing room with the front sealed off. Prior to that we spent 8 weeks in Spain/France and really enjoyed it. One problem is filling all the available storage space,, we are still trying,, but otherwise it works for us. We may have been fortunate in that the van came with solar panel, awning, towbar, alarm, reverse camera and cab blinds so we did not need to upgrade much at all.
We really liked the wentworth, then we found the gleneagle which is the same as wentworth with large bathroom at back, we only changed our minds as they are 2 berth and once we realised you can get a 4 berth with good layout with extra travelling seats we thought it would be better as we have two teenage girls that we may do things like the baloon festival

Upvote 0

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi there,

We have had a 660 and have been full timing in it since 2010. The only leaking issue we have had was where the satellite dome had been fitted and they had not filled in the hole where the wires run properly! To be honest that was only because of a very extreme hail and rain storm in Zahora!

Apart from that and a bit of wear and tear you'd expect from living permanently in a leisure vehicle we have had no issues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Diane

I for one can vouch for the Swift Kon-tiki, we have the 645 which I believe ticks all of your requirements. We purchased ours this year after around 6-8 months of searching. While we are more than happy with the motorhome etc we are not using it as much as we thought we would, mainly due to a change in work circumstances therefore it may be up for sale in a month or so.

Pay us a visit, you'll see the flags, maybe even hear us first :)
We are only going on the Sunday, but will keep our eyes open for you, once we've got the van we will become regulars

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there,

We have had a 660 and have been full timing in it since 2010. The only leaking issue we have had was where the satellite dome had been fitted and they had not filled in the hole where the wires run properly! To be honest that was only because of a very extreme hail and rain storm in Zahora!

Apart from that and a bit of wear and tear you'd expect from living permanently in a leisure vehicle we have had no issues.
What year is your Kon tiki ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Diane

Hi Diane

hi, lovely van but a bit bigger than we're looking for and probably more money, but I will keep an eye out for it

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back