please someone help meeee!!! (1 Viewer)

madboro

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
Funster No
Hiya to all !!

im in the process of buying my first motorhome and going fulltime , can anyone tell me the positives of this ,as there is somuch negative advise on here and my head is spinning:cry:... any possitive advice will be thankfully received !:thumb:

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
There's plenty of reading on past posts on this subject, you should have a good read.
At the end of the day, no one can make your mind up, it's different for all. Look at your circumstances and requirements and make up your own mind, if in doubt, don't do it.

But you know that if you do need any advice that's not already been said, someone on here, we are sure, will give you some assistance.

Nigel and Pamala

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
For us the biggest positive is that we can escape the UK weather and dare I say it, escape the UK. we are only part time full time!

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no regular bills....ie council tax, water rates etc.

but after your initial purchase you have site fees, fuel, gas, food, drink.

depends on your lifestyle i suppose but it should cost less per month than a modern day mortgage.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi Madboro,

There must be loads of positive to full timing as there are loads who do it, enjoy it and keep on doing it:thumb:

Its no bad thing to read the negative, as they keep you aware, and keep you on your toes, being a full timer sounds like agreat way of life (Hopefully my time will come) but it seems that most of the negs are either related to health, home or simply being caught of guard

I'd say go for it and enjoy your new found freedom, but then again what do I know i'm still young(ish):ROFLMAO:

I think the only advice i would offer you is buy a quality van (German? but def not English:cry:) which is fully winterised, dont want frozen pipes do you:Eeek:, and best if you buy second hand, as you lose less that way and someone else as sorted out those little niggles:Cool:

now I've put my big foot in it, What van are you having

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hiya to all !!

im in the process of buying my first motorhome and going fulltime

Hi

We just recently gave up full time after three years, now back in a house. There are many negatives and if you don't overcome them they will overshadow the positives.

It is a BIG step and it's easier to get into than to get out of .. so be very sure about what you really want out of it ..

If you tell us what your plan is, it will let us know how better to advise.

Are you going proper full time.. ie , no house, no fixed abode. ?
How do you plan to support your life style ? ie.. work, pension, savings or a combination ?
Have you worked out your finances .
Where do you plan to live and or travel.. mainly UK or abroad ?
Do you foresee this a permanent move ?
If it all goes wrong have you thought about an exit plan ?
Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 or more years time?

jim

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
having done this for 3 years I would say to you to allow for going back to an orthodox roof after a couple of years ; if you don't go back , fine , you won't have lost a great deal , perhaps the cost of storage for your favourite things if you sell up as we did

there are a number of things I missed , just like anyone else would , but frankly after we had been to all the places we wanted to visit [ and previously had not the time and money for ] it started to be just boring due to the lack of things you take for granted in a house

being honest , I think it is much harder for the ladies than the men , my wife missed having a house full of books , a piano ,a wardrobe full of clothes , a cupboard full of shoes , a proper kitchen where she could cook , well you get the idea , everyone could make a different list ; while we were either planning a trip or making one it compensated , but you run out of steam ; later on we went to n.america , bought a motorhome there and stayed a year ...but we were glad to go home even though we had a wonderful time

but I would say to anyone ...try it if you like new places and faces ; but allow for the fact it almost certainly won't be for ever ; funnily enough I find men who are on their own are the ones it suits best after the initial period ...easier to find company I suppose

perhaps you need to be born to it

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Would agree with all said here - we have been fulltiming now for nearly 2 years - still enjoying it - the most important thing in my mind is having an exit plan its very easy to say that you want to die in your van when you have good health and plenty of money but a broken bone - a serious illness - a tablet dependancy can make full timing a nightmare which if you dont have a plan can break you mentally and financially - my advise plan thoroughly - expect the worst and when it does not happen then its a bonus.

Good luck and enjoy - the freedom is unbelievable

clayx

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
south wales
Funster No
Exp
if you are new to motorhoming i would have thought you would want at least a season to acclimatise to your van, is it the right van for you have you spent a winter in a small space and dont forget when you quarrel there is no where to hide:Doh:all the previous advice is spot on and should be taken on board. a couple of years ago i wanted the same thing and looked into it closely, a lot of folk came up with the same advice. just remember if you sell up and full time you end up with 'no fixed abode' with the problems that brings , as previously said plus if you need banking, new accounts loans etc. they will also be a stumbling block. authorities in some areas will treat you no better than a vagrant.
where will you stay, using cc sites with their lovely facilities etc whilst great for weeks at a time would become very expensive, if you are on a budget you might find your self going down market pretty quickly. bottom line is as already stated give yourself a get out plan and if you have had enough make sure you can retrieve bricks and morter to somewhere near what you left. on the other hand you only live once so do not let us miseries and want to dos put you off just bare all the advice in mind. happy fulltiming:thumb:

Last edited:

The vagabond

Free Member
Mar 6, 2009
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So many positives

Hello,
There are so many positives to full timing, we have been full timing in the UK for nearly three years and both me and my wife love it.
Both of us have enjoyed better health
We have met the nicest of people
We have more time for strangers and they for us
If you don't like the scenery or neighbours you can go somewhere else.
We have a much better quality of life because our needs are simpler

You need to have the right mindset, and of course, it helps if you love the outdoors, teach youself to be content and don't make too many plans. Keep mind and body active and enjoy.
Best wishes. :thumb:

A link to my blog about our life full timing The Vagabond Trail

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back