Please , please share the cupboard solution! (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Day three and I've run out of feet to be hurt...... arrive at site, open top cupboard and have large heavy jar (tonight lentils .... don't ask! .... ) fall on my foot and that was with me expecting it to happen.

So please, please please ... tell me what you do to stop this happening? Cargo netting?

Last edited:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
At least you had stopped!

Please find a way of ensuring I have closed all the lockers, doors, fridge before I move off - no point in suggesting a check list, I've got one, perhaps I should be a little more ...

Good luck in your quest - I fear a long and twisted road

Clive

Reactions: SMB
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
IMG_0059.JPG
Hope your foot is ok (y)
It's fine .... wondering if I can come up with a multi purpose use for a spin dryer ? Or if it's time for bed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Nowt heavy or that can break up top or put it in a basket that sits behind the front lip............. you do have a lip at the front of the cupboards don't you? :LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
After having a jar of chilli sauce fall out of the locker, hit the table and dent it before smashing and covering the seat with sauce and glass, I went to B&Q and bought some containers which fit quite snugly into the lockers. More recently I bought some flexible containers which are held rigid with velcro from Lidl in France. Sometimes I have to take the container out of the locker to get larger items out but no more incidents (y)

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
It's fine .... wondering if I can come up with a multi purpose use for a spin dryer ? Or if it's time for bed.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you do don't let women sit on it when it's going!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's fine .... wondering if I can come up with a multi purpose use for a spin dryer ? Or if it's time for bed.

Whatever you do don't let women sit on it when it's going!!!!!!

Quite right, you will be out of a job. :eek::LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have a number of plastic freezer boxes in the cupboards which we store all the jars and cans inside, they can be easily lifted out (as there is more than one in each cupboard).

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've used a strip of thin stainless steel on the inside of the locker door. It stands proud of the door by an inch or so & prevents the contents of the locker (glasses & cups in our case) from being too close to the front of the shelf when the door is opened.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I would like to say that due to my exceptionally smooooth driving, I've never had a tin or jar fall out of a cupboard yet, but it's actually because they're all removed and sitting in a 'bag for life' at floor level (y)

Upvote 0

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We too put the heavy stuff in the bottom cupboards and have the plastic baskets in the top ones. Shame I forgot about the laptop, although at least it was in a cupboard above the sofas ..... from where it bounced onto the floor. It's a good job it's cheaper to repair a computer than a minor dink in a motorhome worktop or table!

IMG_0856.JPG

P.S. Fortunately, that's not my laptop which only suffered minor damage :)

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We use an spring loaded rod to go across the width of the cupboard. Stops everything falling out.

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Get your wife to open cupboards when you first arrive at sites(y)

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We too put the heavy stuff in the bottom cupboards and have the plastic baskets in the top ones. Shame I forgot about the laptop, although at least it was in a cupboard above the sofas ..... from where it bounced onto the floor. It's a good job it's cheaper to repair a computer than a minor dink in a motorhome worktop or table!

we bought an old motorhome the first time (in case we didn't take to it/ran it into a hedge etc) and it had loads of nicks and bumps in it including a large one on the table where something heavy had fallen out and dented it. After a year or so we got round to replacing it - looked great:). Next time we went out in it I stopped and opened the cupboard to see a large tin of soup fall out and dent it - in more or less the same place as the old one(n). Won't tell you the amount of grief I got for that!

So I move the tins into the next cupboard - better later than never - and had the heart stopping moment of seeing my little dog who was sitting on the dinning seat nearly be taken out by a tin of baked beans!!!

Time for a totally reshuffle - getting some of those baskets - dog keeps looking panicked whenever I go near a cupboard (I moved the tins from above his seat after that and just kept soft items but he got hit by a half opened loaf last time we were out including the slices coming out and covering him:unsure:!:whatthe:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We use an spring loaded rod to go across the width of the cupboard. Stops everything falling out.

Broken Link Removed

Clever! Might copy that - thanks

I have tried the expanding bars but don't use them now ... I opened a cupboard and the bar fell out along with other bits.:mad:

Don't keep things in jars. All our loose stuff like flour, sugar, rice etc is in Tupperware thingies.

No jars involved when my table was holed .... it was :swear2: @BritStops book.:doh:

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
My top cupboards house crockery, flour, sugar, bread, etc in kitchen area & clothes in living area. I also use the small plastic 'boxes' to contain stuff.
The only one that panics when a top cupboard is opened is the dog as the one above her bed houses cling film, foil & bags of fruits & nuts, something nearly always falls on her, poor girl!
I have a 'flight' routine of checking cupboards/drawers etc are all clicked shut and secure before moving and as I open a cupboard I have my other hand up guarding-just in case!

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We line each cupboard with the non slip matting.
All tins and jars are in the bottom cupboard or garage in a box.( I have seen a mess that a Tommy K jar did when it fell out at home don't want that in my lovely van!!
Actually on holiday we don't use many tins as eat out or cook fresh a la French stylee!
Enjoy your trip!!

Upvote 0

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
OUCH! I too feel your pain.

As others have said, heavy stuff down below but what I do to keep all my stuff in place is to put a cushion in each cupboard before I set off. This also has the added bonus of keeping everything secure while I'm driving so I don't hear any rattles.

In the cupboards I use plastic containers - like the ones you get from takeaways - to store stuff. Tea, grains, flours all get sorted like this. I can fill cupboards to the top and get far more in than if they were loose. In the back cupboards I do the same for craft, glues, small batteries, sewing kit, strings, wool and a lot more stuff that I'm far too embarrassed to admit to - all get stacked in containers. I write the contents on the front with a black laundry marker pen so it's easy to see what is in each at a glance so no more wondering where that elusive sellotape roll has got to.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We line each cupboard with the non slip matting.
All tins and jars are in the bottom cupboard or garage in a box.( I have seen a mess that a Tommy K jar did when it fell out at home don't want that in my lovely van!!
Actually on holiday we don't use many tins as eat out or cook fresh a la French stylee!
Enjoy your trip!!

DITTO, all my cupboards, shelves, drawers are lined with 'grip mat' and like you we eat as fresh as poss, not many tins & jars but the ones we do have are under the long settee seat in a locker and the the dog tins tend to live in a box in the shower-until we need the shower!!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back