LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I notice it names New Year’s Eve as one of the "traditional" nights for fireworks. I can't recall any widespread use of fireworks on New Year’s Eve before the Millennium. Does 15 years count as traditional?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Broken Link Removed
Restrict the use of fireworks to reduce stress and fear in animals and pets

I respect you post and have signed it as requested because we love animals, but as I have posted before on this forum about these petitions they will never ever reach debate in Parliament phase because it needs 100,000 signatures and people are just not interested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The gov has spoken.......minds already made up..

35,590 signatures

Show on a map

Government responded
We are aware that fireworks can cause distress to animals. Restrictions on the general public’s use of fireworks, and permitted noise levels, already exist and we have no plans to extend them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They're not going to ban your neighbour from letting off a few whizz-bangs at the bottom of their garden.

Take dogs for an early walk, seal off cat flaps ideally with moggy on the inside. :)

Close all windows and curtains, turn the radio or TV on and REMAIN CALM! Dogs in particular pick up very quickly from any nervousness in their owner.

Fireworks are no different to a thunderstorm and I don't think a petition to control thunderstorms would get very far. :)

I'm not trying to be negative but the onus is on the owner to take measures to protect their animals.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fireworks going off left right and centre at the moment.

Jack the russell is bouncing off the kitchen door to be let out.
Daisy the doodle couldnt care less.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Two Labradors here watching what is going on fortunately not bothered truly living up to their gun dog status.

Reactions: DBK

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Fireworks going off left right and centre at the moment
It is November fifth :LOL:.!

But I do agree that sales & use of fireworks should be restricted - oh they are ;).
Recall the days of kids letting off penny bangers in the street?

I'd be happy to restrict Christmas to the fortnight before Christmas day and the sale of Easter Eggs to a couple of weeks before - but then I'm a grumpy ol' git :rolleyes:.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is November fifth :LOL:.!

But I do agree that sales & use of fireworks should be restricted - oh they are ;).
Recall the days of kids letting off penny bangers in the street?

I'd be happy to restrict Christmas to the fortnight before Christmas day and the sale of Easter Eggs to a couple of weeks before - but then I'm a grumpy ol' git :rolleyes:.
I'd ban them completely, & Christmas ? No, I can't agree with that ,it should be restricted to the 1 day that we get here & then get yerselves back to work.:)

Deleted User
Ours don't get bothered by fireworks noise, they are used to bangs from living on army camps, our old girl a rescue was scared of the smell and whizzy sounds, we think she had them thrown at her in past and wouldn't step outside if she even got a whiff in the air, yet she was never bothered by gunfire on the ranges. You can't ban fireworks there are now a lot of restrictions in place to control them. Some dogs will always have problems with them, but using sedatives and plug ins help, for the older or abused dogs it's preparation in advance, for new puppies it's exposure at the correct age to bangs etc same as other stuff like walking sticks and hats, training a pup includes exposure to a whole host of stuff and a lot of owners don't do it.
I feel for the poor dogs that can't cope but its improved a lot in recent years with restrictions and trying to ban/ further restrict what a lot see as fun nights isn't the way.

Lin :)

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
3832600 keep on going

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm another not for signing. Fireworks were around and being let off before you got your dog cat or budgie. It is up to you to make sure the animal is safeand cared for which includes dealing with fireworks thunderstorms and backfiring motor vehicles.

Our pup is restless right now and wanting to go outside every 2 minutes but otherwise is following our lead and ignoring the noises.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm another not for signing. Fireworks were around and being let off before you got your dog cat or budgie. It is up to you to make sure the animal is safeand cared for which includes dealing with fireworks thunderstorms and backfiring motor vehicles.

Our pup is restless right now and wanting to go outside every 2 minutes but otherwise is following our lead and ignoring the noises.
The trouble is that fireworks are now more available than they used to be and they are noisier too ... we've got them going off round us in all directions!

We have one dog that is terrified of them (and thunderstorms, bangs etc) due to being scared badly on a ferry, before then she never batted an eyelid ... no amount of comforting, ignoring, putting on music to mask the noise helps ... we've tried sedatives etc in the past but she just fights them and is very strong willed (she's a Patterdale ... think Jack Russell on steroids!). She's currently in her bed under the coffee table panting away with her tongue lolling ... we just wish it would start to rain heavily and then the fireworks would ruddy stop!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got one that really doesn't like them and one that apparently thinks he can fight them.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Maximum Aurelius our cat hasn't batted an eyelid at the fire work show going on next door (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
MORE available now?

So do they have them in the butchers now as well as the grocers greengrocers and paper shops everywhere you went when I was little? and of course all the supermarkets.

I haven't actually seen any for sale this year!

Deleted User
I won't be signing as I need access to fireworks all year to let my clients know that their drugs have arrived.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don't particularly like fireworks and I understand why pet owners don't since our previous dogs have been frightened by them but I think the petition is ill thought out as it aims to just try to restrict the public use of them. Obviously, the only way to restrict public use would be to enact law to make it an offence for the public to use them on any dates others than those specifically permitted.

I am not a killjoy, but I think they are dangerous expensive items that should ONLY be used by professional people at organised displays and not available for public purchase. I also think it is not right that with a potential increase in unrest and acts of terrorism that any adult can walk in to a shop and purchase potentially lethal explosives which they can store for as long as they want and could adapt to cause a disaster as they see fit.

We cannot just go into a shop and but guns or ammunition without restrictions so why should we be able to buy explosives.

So I won't sign the petition, if people want to see firework displays they should go to a properly organised licensed event, and see a display far better, far safer and probably far cheaper than anything they could do themselves. That would also achieve the object of the petition.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Possibly - but can you imagine any other activity that involves allowing the public to handle high explosives and to cause so much noise being tolerated? Fireworks have gone from the family-friendly packs that were around when I was a kid to the high-explosive devices available today that can be heard for miles. The restrictions now in place have helped immensely but don't go far enough. They need to be restricted to public displays. Your point about caring for pets is nonsense. My dogs are, and have always been, rescues. The two I have now are unaffected by firework noise but the Greyhound I had 8 years ago couldn't cope with it at all. He became so distressed that his hyperventilation was life-threatening. Whatever we did didn't help. The vet couldn't help. We spent most of November / December 1999 / early January 2000 in a dark room, in a den under a desk, with loud music playing, and holding tightly onto a very distressed dog. Animals other than pets are affected too. Setting off fireworks is at least as anti-social as any more traditional way of annoying your neighbours.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Sorry guys but I have to say: which came first, the custom and tradition of letting off fireworks around November 5 and January 31, or the purchase of the pets you all have?
Surely you knew that the animal you were about to buy/take-on would likely be upset by them?
A little like buying a house next to an airport and then complaining about aircraft noise.

I do however agree that they should be restricted to a couple of days either side of the festival days.

Not a view that will go down well with many here but that's what a forum is all about.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
MORE available now?

So do they have them in the butchers now as well as the grocers greengrocers and paper shops everywhere you went when I was little? and of course all the supermarkets.

I haven't actually seen any for sale this year!
In the past you could only buy them just before bonfire night and that was it, not weeks before and not for new year etc so they ARE now more available than they were and in more locations too. If it went back to that way of getting them then at least the time they were being let off would be much less so the impact of the distress they cause would be much less too.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry guys but I have to say: which came first, the custom and tradition of letting off fireworks around November 5 and January 31, or the purchase of the pets you all have?
Surely you knew that the animal you were about to buy/take-on would likely be upset by them?
A little like buying a house next to an airport and then complaining about aircraft noise.

I do however agree that they should be restricted to a couple of days either side of the festival days.

Not a view that will go down well with many here but that's what a forum is all about.
I think you'll find that the animal population was around slightly before man discovered fire. It isn't only about animals that live in houses. Nor is it entirely about animals. There is no similar activity that would, or should, be tolerated.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It isn't the same at all ... our dogs were fine and were never bothered by them, but the fireworks have got bigger/a lot noisier and one of our dogs has been traumatized on a ferry ... how would we know that would happen? It has been getting gradually worse over the years so the quiet place we live in where we hardly heard any fireworks can easily now be surrounded by them, not just for one night but for a 2 week period, or more, depending on when people have celebrations/parties etc and not just normal sized fireworks but bloody great flash bang things which don't bang ... they BOOM - that is far from fun for our dog.

If they were restricted to smaller ones rather than the enormous fireworks that can be bought now by the public, and for just a few days round bonfire night and new year, it would be much better.

In the past we used to have bonfire night parties at our house, just our main family and a few friends, 30 at most, on the Saturday nearest bonfire night itself, no massive bangers, just standard (no pun intended!) fireworks for 20 mins max (too ruddy expensive to have more!) and not too late either. Now the often start as soon as it's dusk and can go on well past midnight, so could easily be continual for 6-7 hours!

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
It's all very well saying that they should be restricted to public displays but how does that help the people who live near the display locations. Our village is well known in the area for its annual display - normally lasts for about thirty minutes.

Strangely enough, only one of our two dogs (a Jack Russell) is bothered by fireworks but this year he never made a sound until they had finished - either he's going deaf or he was enjoying them ;)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It's all very well saying that they should be restricted to public displays but how does that help the people who live near the display locations. Our village is well known in the area for its annual display - normally lasts for about thirty minutes.

Strangely enough, only one of our two dogs (a Jack Russell) is bothered by fireworks but this year he never made a sound until they had finished - either he's going deaf or he was enjoying them ;)

It doesn't help people living near display locations sadly, but it would help very many people who don't live nearby. I would have thought a yearly display lasting some 30 minutes wasn't too much to put up with. Only an outright ban of all use of fireworks would help everyone, and that is not going to happen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back