Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hello All..

Im hoping for a bit of help

I noticed a little leak from the winter drain plug on the hot water fume vent, so i thought i'd remove it and put a new oring on.

Its fairly new to me and it appears its not been off in some time, anyhow, the bloody end has sheared off the top of the plug and the remains are still threaded in!!!!!!

What am I to do? how can I remove the bit of still threaded in plastic ???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a large screw driver and a blowtorch.

heat the driver 'til VERY hot......dull red.

very carefully push the tip into the plastic bung without moving the blade about and making the hole larger.
allow to cool completely then carefully turn the driver.

it may help to run the boiler for a short while to expand the casing but make sure you turn on a hot tap with the pump turned off to relieve the pressure in the boiler.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
a large screw driver and a blowtorch.

heat the driver 'til VERY hot......dull red.

very carefully push the tip into the plastic bung without moving the blade about and making the hole larger.
allow to cool completely then carefully turn the driver.

it may help to run the boiler for a short while to expand the casing but make sure you turn on a hot tap with the pump turned off to relieve the pressure in the boiler.

You Sir are an absolute diamond!!

I had to nip to my dads to get my blowtorch, it must have took all of a minute to do once I had the tools!!!!

You dont know how grateful I am:thumb::thumb:

I just want to check though, when I get the replacement plug, do I have to bleed the system using said plug or can I just put it in and fill it up?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp

I had to nip to my dads to get my blowtorch, it must have took all of a minute to do once I had the tools!!!!

I just want to check though, when I get the replacement plug, do I have to bleed the system using said plug or can I just put it in and fill it up?

Anyone....please....:Blush:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If as you say its a drain plug, its going to be at the lowest point in the system
you canot bleed from the lowest point, it has to be the highest, and if were talking about the same thing that will be your hot Tap:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
If as you say its a drain plug, its going to be at the lowest point in the system
you canot bleed from the lowest point, it has to be the highest, and if were talking about the same thing that will be your hot Tap:thumb:
Geo

Ahhh, logic evades me AGAIN!!:Doh:
Its better to ask I suppose, thanks Geo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

its a pleasure Nick.

we all like to help if we can:thumb:

just put the new bung in and fill it up...bleeding through the hot tap 'til water runs without bubbles/splurting.

be very careful when you fit the bung......the 'O' ring can become displaced and it will leak.
been there...done that...and you might have a full fresh tank as well so its a wet job if it leaks.:Sad:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
its a pleasure Nick.

we all like to help if we can:thumb:

just put the new bung in and fill it up...bleeding through the hot tap 'til water runs without bubbles/splurting.

be very careful when you fit the bung......the 'O' ring can become displaced and it will leak.
been there...done that...and you might have a full fresh tank as well so its a wet job if it leaks.:Sad:

You can probably tell by now im not the best DIY bloke, but its nice learning more about the MH, and getting some practical tips.

I wont tell of my sink unblocking last night, its just asking for a ribbing!! Lets just say a couple towels had to be thrown out:Blush:

You even remembered my name!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back