Please help us in finding our next Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Brenintot

Free Member
Jul 24, 2008
Cwmbran, South Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1980
I've been looking for our next Motorhome since December last year:Sad:, the vans we have been interested have either been sold before we get to view:cry:, have major faults (Damp/Floor delamination etc) or are in poor condition:Sad:
I was thinking that maybe a 'Motorhomefunster' may know of, or have spotted a decent motorhome that may suit. I would be very gratefull if anyone could help, just by pointing me in that direction:thumb:.

I would like to buy a used 6 berth UK RHD motorhome. Must be low miles in top condition. (no ex hire)

Layout - U shape rear 6' lounge, center washroom with wardrobe opposite, side dinnete with 3 point seatbelts behind driver side, Caravan door in center, with fridge oven sink & hob behind passenger seat.

Suitable motorhomes inc, a late model Swift Royale 630 or 635, Autotrail Scout, or an up to 2005 Swift Sundance 630L or similar.

I am a private buyer with cash waiting for right van at fair price:thumb:. Must have all documentation & FSH. I have also placed a Wanted ad.

Thanks in advance::bigsmile:.
Chris :thanks2:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Chris,

Welcome to Fun, you will get plenty of help on here:thumb:

As to finding a van, have a look on my website (when it gets back up !) there are a few vans on there that might take your fancy.

Peter

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Why do you want a six birth ?

We had a Mc Louis Glen 690, For a budget van we thought it was excellent value, it had the rear U shaped lounge, central washroom n kitchen, and a front dinette

What we also found was that when there was 5/6 people sitting in the lounge, whilst there was plenty of bum space, there wasn't plenty of leg space, and everyone spent all night kicking each other

We have a Eura mobil A class, which is a 4 birth, but it could take upto six, and is a front lounge(large), mid kitchen and rear fixed bed n washroom, we find this takes up to 7/8 people sittin comfortable, but could only sleep a max of 6, here some pics, have a look it may work for you

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brenintot

Brenintot

Free Member
Jul 24, 2008
Cwmbran, South Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1980
Viewed 2nd Elddis eb today

Looked promising from the dealers description & photos. Wasted another day, 4hours driving & £30 in fuel:Angry:. Caravan floor near entrance & near shower door soft (delaminated):Sad:. Dealer assured us before travelling that all was well:Angry:. Anyway we have decided to focus our search with other uk manufactures. We're starting to lose faith in finding a good used motorhome.
My wife actually downloaded up a Caravan brochure this evening!!! :Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi i was looking at autotrail initially and found the same spongy floors although looking to buy a new motorhome with similar layout to what your looking for i decided to look round some used ones at lincoln show last year mainly to see what to expect in the future.
i eventually came across an unregistered 1998 dethleffs advantage a7871 double floor tag.
list price was allegedly £71000 on offer at £56000.
maybe look towards a german built van the double floor wont delaminate as its decent plywood not a sandwich of 3mm ply and polystyrene.
theres loads of scope. happy hunting

andy

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
We Agree with Andy, Forget British, buy German

British vans are very chinty, but poor, German vans are functional, but solid

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We have an Elddis AutoQuest 180, it is a 6 berth with 3 point belts on all 4 dinette seats.

I would agree with what has been said, it can feel a bit cramped at times. In better weather this is not a big problem as we tend to sit outside more often than not but, for example, we have been away both this and last weekend and even just 2 adults and 3 kids more space would have been appreciated.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I wouldn't totally disregard ex-hire vehciles - take a look and see what they are like! I have retired vehicles that have only done 4000 miles! No marks or scratches, in perfect order!

Hire vehicles are well serviced, well maintained and have checks every 6 weeks and tbh - even look better than forecourt examples, they also have trackers fitted as standard. Take a look and see what they are like - they certainly are not all dogs!

Good luck with your search - if you have been looking for a year, you are halfway there! So many designs to choose from - I always go for the end kitchens, as they have more space inside and are not cramped on a wet day. Keep looking, the right one will hit you, and when it does you will know!:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have a Swift 630G and I have had over £2000 worth of problems with it, I suggest that you have nothing to do with Swift products.

Doug...

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Elddis seem to win awards years after years for quality/value for money balance. Often ahead of far superior counterparts!

We use some on our hire fleet, and to be fair - not alot breaks!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
What were the probs?

1/ New garage door, the gas struts failed and the door pulled itself off the body. it still has problems.

2/ New accommodation door, the door de-laminated. it still does not fit correctly

3/ New shower tray, the tray had cracks due to poor fitting and leaked water. this problem will repeat itself in the future due to very, very thin plastic that it is made of.

4/ New water tap, the tap split and leaked water onto the fridge.

5/ New water tap, the handle broke in the bath room.

6/ New oven door fitting, the door would not stay shut.

The above are the major items, in addition the those I am continually doing minor repairs to cupboards, doors, hinges, replacing wood screws that are to long and are sticking out of the other side of the panel IE there were 2 screws that were sticking out of the cutlery draw and they ripped my wife's hand open before we discovered them. The upholstery is now thread bear after only 8 years and will cost at least £1000.00 to replace.

The list is endless

Doug...

OP
OP
Brenintot

Brenintot

Free Member
Jul 24, 2008
Cwmbran, South Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1980
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info it will help us spot potential problems, when we veiw prospective vans. We plan to look an 04 Bessacar on Friday in Devon, fingers crossed we will be impressed :pray:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Prospective Vans

Thanks for the info it will help us spot potential problems, when we veiw prospective vans. We plan to look an 04 Bessacar on Friday in Devon, fingers crossed we will be impressed :pray:

I have had 2 m/homes from Swift (Bessacarr 700 ser 08 ) i have found that both vans have been exelent the minor thing that has been fixed in minutes also The Swift After Sales Service has been great If you purchase from a dealer check them out as this can make a big diffrence to your m/home and all the years you have it

Bill:Blush::Blush:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you don't say what budget range you are looking at?

As said, don't rule out any hire vechile.
There are plenty of swift owners out there that are more than happy with their lot.
I personally would buy private and I would also be ruling nothing out. It seems you are content with your layout choice. If that is the case open your self out a little. I have seen cracking Benimars, Autorollers, CI's and also autoquests with this layout. The Autoquest (180 I think) was only 30k brand new a couple of years ago. Therefore, should be some decent second hand ones about now.

I would concur with what others have said about a rear lounge layout though. :thumb:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I've been looking for our next Motorhome since December last year:Sad:, the vans we have been interested have either been sold before we get to view:cry:, have major faults (Damp/Floor delamination etc) or are in poor condition:Sad:
I was thinking that maybe a 'Motorhomefunster' may know of, or have spotted a decent motorhome that may suit. I would be very gratefull if anyone could help, just by pointing me in that direction:thumb:.

I would like to buy a used 6 berth UK RHD motorhome. Must be low miles in top condition. (no ex hire)

Layout - U shape rear 6' lounge, center washroom with wardrobe opposite, side dinnete with 3 point seatbelts behind driver side, Caravan door in center, with fridge oven sink & hob behind passenger seat.

Suitable motorhomes inc, a late model Swift Royale 630 or 635, Autotrail Scout, or an up to 2005 Swift Sundance 630L or similar.

I am a private buyer with cash waiting for right van at fair price:thumb:. Must have all documentation & FSH. I have also placed a Wanted ad.

Thanks in advance::bigsmile:.
Chris :thanks2:
hi.just remember if you do decide to buy from a dealer if you are undecided dont leave a deposit untill you are 100% sure as a lot of dealers wont refund if you change your mind.Ie Britains biggest and worst dealer .
JohnM. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back