Please help trying to identify and value a motorhome abroad (1 Viewer)

MikeG2021

Free Member
Sep 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford
Hi all,

I'm Mike

Thank you so much for allowing me to join your forum.
My partner is currently in France under difficult family circumstances and we are trying to identify a Form campervan/motorhome.
Sadly the logbook has been mislaid and all I really have is an image of the vehicle.
We are also looking at the viability of bringing it back to the UK or whether to simply sell over there.
Difficult as none of us are French speakers and the redtape etc is mind boggling

So just starting by trying to tie down the age and model so that I can get an indication of value.

Many thanks in advance for all of your help.

Attachments

• motorhome.jpg
    motorhome.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 338
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Any chance you could send it on here? I will translate it no problem or tell your partner to send it on my whatsapp directly.
Here is my mobile number... It's already on my car, and every sick person can pester me (never happened though), so not a real problem!

Hope we can get you sorted

Amicalement
Frankie ;)

EDIT
oops didn't realise you were speaking of the red tape to sell the vehicle
Never mind, if anything in french just give a shout on here

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
If you decide it's easier to sell it in France then I can help you with where to sell it, and I can even take the calls if it can help. Just let me know what you decide.

EDIT: I can't read the 2 last numbers on the plate, the numbers on the left on the little blue square. It looks like a 3 first, which could mean your partner is not very far away from my place. Try to find out what are these 2 numbers!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeG2021

Free Member
Sep 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford
Thank you so much Frankie. I wil;l be speaking to her later and will show her this thread :)

My first post should say Ford not Form I can't work out how to edit it :(

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
OK ! In the meantime I have done a few searches and had someone on the phone, and I found this info which will give you a start
  • Du 15 avril 2009 à maintenant : AB - 123 - CD (from the 15th of April 2009 till today the format is AB 123 CD)
Plates in France have changed a few times and from what I found here, this motorhome can't have been sold before 2009 as the format of its plate is the one you can read above.

OP
OP
M

MikeG2021

Free Member
Sep 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford
Ah that's fabulous thank you!

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
The motorhome should have a converters weight plate on it as well as the Ford one. Sometimes it is in the engine bay but can be anywhere! On Hymers it is generally on the motorhome skirt by the rear wheels. Attached is a picture to give your partner some clues. You should then be able to contact the converter to get more information.
Good luck, sounds rather stressful for you both

Attachments

• 16325741652592530866679275100206.jpg
    16325741652592530866679275100206.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 14
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm confused. Maybe it's just me being a bit dim but I read your post as meaning that you are considering buying it and then selling it after presumably using it for accommodation.
I assume neither of you has actually seen it.
Although the log book has been mislaid why doesn't the seller know what it is?
Could it be a scam?

The colour, styling and roof rack are similar to my 1995 Compass.

RH side.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Ah that's fabulous thank you!
You're welcome!
Second info I have just found (mind you I knew it but I'm not a brainer ... not always anyway :LOL:) The more the letters are at the end of the alphabet , the more recent it is. It can only be compared to other vehicles in the same department . Here we have DC ... and AP which should mean we are more around 2010/11 may be.

OP
OP
M

MikeG2021

Free Member
Sep 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford
I'm confused. Maybe it's just me being a bit dim but I read your post as meaning that you are considering buying it and then selling it after presumably using it for accommodation.
Could it be a scam?
Ah sorry, there's a few bits of the original post I'd like to edit grr.

The motorhome belongs to a family member and my partner is currently there so there's no scam. The owner is unable to give any details sadly :(

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Could it be a scam?

From what I got the OP has his/her partner here in France due probably to a decease, or something of the kind difficult to deal with. And the Moho is 1) to be taken to the UK or 2) to be sold here in France if too difficult to get it to the UK

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
As it was probably built in Europe for the European market that model is unlikely to be in the uk, as uk market tends to be on fiat / Peugeot build. The value at that age is very dependant on condition. The nearest uk van it could be compared with is herald motorhome built in late 1990s. The build quality could be far better but as I mentioned earlier very dependant on condition. Heralds normally change hands £5000-£11000 depending on condition. Hope that helps.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
OK ! In the meantime I have done a few searches and had someone on the phone, and I found this info which will give you a start
  • Du 15 avril 2009 à maintenant : AB - 123 - CD (from the 15th of April 2009 till today the format is AB 123 CD)
Plates in France have changed a few times and from what I found here, this motorhome can't have been sold before 2009 as the format of its plate is the one you can read above.
What I have just read if the vehicle moves departments (regions) after 2009 it is reassigned a later style number plate, that would figure as the cab is definately late 1990s.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The decals look like the old Hymer ones, here's a 1990s example

1632588024400.png

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
If left hand drive sell in France if the sell in UK?

That's how I would get the best return.

O don't think taking older campers across the channel is very popular and most people was a vehicle with the steering wheel on the right side for the country.

Just my opinion though.

Cheers James

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
What I have just read if the vehicle moves departments (regions) after 2009 it is reassigned a later style number plate, that would figure as the cab is definately late 1990s.
Could be yes... I know , as mine, a Hymer too, is a 1991 and looks very much alike.
But the quote to sell it, will still be good. I met a German family during my week holidays in Dordogne, and the man said that all these oldies (he had one too) are very much wanted and can be sold quite a good price. Anyway, I don't think the year it got on the road for the first time will change something. No need to know the official quote. It can easily be sold around 10000 euros if not more!

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
If left hand drive sell in France if the sell in UK?

That's how I would get the best return.

O don't think taking older campers across the channel is very popular and most people was a vehicle with the steering wheel on the right side for the country.

Just my opinion though.

Cheers James
It looks to be LHD with the hab door on the 'wrong' side for the U.K. It wouldn't be particularly straightforward to register it in U.K.
I don't think 'most people' are phased by having RHD abroad. I'm certainly not as I've been driving my RHD cars (and my motorbikes ;) ) abroad for nearly 50 years without giving it a moment's thought.
My RHD m/h is 26 yrs old and I've taken it far and wide throughout Europe for the past 15 years without a single problem. In fact it's so old that it's not stuffed with modern temperamental hi-tech systems and gizmos and any teething problems have long been sorted. (y)

Last edited:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
It looks to be LHD with the hab door on the 'wrong' side for the U.K. It wouldn't be particularly straightforward to register it in U.K.
I don't think 'most people' are phased by having RHD abroad. I'm certainly not as I've been driving my RHD cars (and my motorbikes ;) ) abroad for nearly 50 years without giving it a moment's thought.
My RHD m/h is 26 yrs old and I've taken it far and wide throughout Europe for the past 15 years without a single problem. In fact it's so old that it's not stuffed with modern hi-tech systems and gizmos and any teething problems have long been sorted. (y)
I've made a few dangerous opposite side of road mistakes thankfully in quiet roads.

Easier to drive a lhd car in eu.

Cheers James

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It looks to be LHD with the hab door on the 'wrong' side for the U.K. It wouldn't be particularly straightforward to register it in U.K
Nearly all European vans sold in the UK have the had door on the UK wrong side.
Not really a problem selling a LHD van in the UK our last two vans have been LHD we prefer it.
Straightforward to register it in the UK.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I've made a few dangerous opposite side of road mistakes thankfully in quiet roads.

Easier to drive a lhd car in eu.

Cheers James
The only disadvantage that I've found (and I travel solo), is having to pull out further to see the road ahead when overtaking although sitting fairly high up helps the view ahead. A forward facing mirror on the passenger side might be handy but I haven't bothered as I don't need to do much overtaking except for when I come behind tractors or one of those 'sans permis' Noddy cars.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Not really a problem selling a LHD van in the UK our last two vans have been LHD we prefer it.
Straightforward to register it in the UK.
Yebbut, 90% of your travels are abroad aren't they? And haven't yours been new or maybe nearly new? The OP's one is about 25 yrs old and he doesn't have any docs for it at all. In fact he doesn't know what it is. When I've had to register several imported classic motorbikes in U.K. I've had to jump through hoops (even with a Carte Grise) in order to get a NOVA cert and C of C, dating proof etc. but I guess that may be because the manufacturers of all of them became defunct perhaps 40 or 50 or more years ago...........

Last edited:

ghiaguy

Free Member
Sep 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
20 years
you really need to put up more info, if you are thinking of selling in france and you are not the registered owner you have a mountain to climb, facebook has a group called ( registering vehicles in france ) they have a lot of knowledgeable people and also professional hand holders and will be able to other you firsthand advice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back