Please forgive me, for I have commited a motohome sin. (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Some of you folks may know that we recently bought an elderly but bone dry Swift Kon-tiki.

Now to my point, I'm still in the process of deep cleaning & fettling her to our needs.
I washed & bleached the combined toilet & shower room then gave things a very thorough scrub up.
I popped the plug in the shower up to rinse everything down only to be met by waste water coming up to meet me. ?
This surprised me as after my last wild camp, I placed the motorhome on our drive right over a the soil drain rodding hole, then opened the tap for the grey water, there was a slow trickle so I left it to its devices, then a few hours later there was no sign of water left so I closed off the tap & thought that all was well but, as the bubbling up plug in the shower showed that the waste tank was still very full. ?

So today I set about draining the tank. I popped a bucket under the drain pipe & opened the tap, not a thing came out, I was just about to take the tap off at the jubilee clip when I thought I'd try wriggling a screw driver into the tap to see what would happen?
Now the seasoned motorhome members will have guessed what happened, there was a big gurgle then whoosh out came some truly stinking grey water.
I couldn't close the tap back to the off position as that would have meant crawling through the stinking water.

I didn't have the motorhome over the drain as I should have & soon the dirty water was wending its way down my drive which slopes down onto a main road.
I got the hose out to flush the water away but, the grey water kept on coming all 55 litres of the tank it took ages to empty!
I realised that waste water had been coming out of the tanks overflow outlet, this probably means that I'd been trickling onto the road for the whole journey home! Oh how embarrassing I used to have motorbikes & I know only too well that this can make the road treacherous, I despise seeing grey water coming out of a motorhome

So now I'm a motorhome sinner & I ask for forgiveness? It won't happen again, once bitten twice shy. :wink:

Dribble away darlin'. I try not to judge any mh sin ... there could always be a valid reason. X

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Grey water.......pah!

Our first van was a VW Trooper, bought privately from a family, we were fettling it for ourselves & found the poo-box, a removable poti it was also full and had been so for some time!
That was truly disgusting!

OMG that was even worse than my experience, yuk. :Eeek::moon2:

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Fprget the waste all over the drive ... how much of it hit you when it spurted out? :D

Not a drop Mel but, when I got the hose out to flush it, the gun popped off the end of it & soaked me, it was very cold & I was dripping wet, there was much gnashing of teeth with weeping & wailing. :swear2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Not a drop Mel but, when I got the hose out to flush it, the gun popped off the end of it & soaked me, it was very cold & I was dripping wet, there was much gnashing of teeth with weeping & wailing. :swear2:
You'll notice that I don't have an once of sympathy for him and I know when he see's this reply he will quote the dictionary.:nerd:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I thought I'd better clean out the downpipe on my utility room roof the other day as whilst the gutter was dry it had been full and not draining away earlier in the week.

I managed to part it half way down where there is a divert to the water butt and there was a whoosh of filthy water and leaves all over me. It never occurred to me that might still be a pipeful of water in the downpipe!

Anyway all clean now and I had to change all my clothes to get rid of the dirt and wet!

We can all make silly mistakes!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Never burn out a long drop when packing a gigantic sad. I did! After splashing 22litres of petrol between the 4 of them, then searching for matches.
The 4 of them went off like Mortar rounds, my nick name for days after was "Cashmere bouquet!"

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
So he’s a double sinner

Grey waste on the road AND he’s got a generator.

Wonder if he empties his cassette in the woods ?

Ohh dear ohh dear ?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Don't let it phase you, I once managed to catch the wte outlet on a hump on a campsite on the way to dump a weeks worth of grey. Boy was I embarrassed especially as i hadn't realised, and wondered where the hang the smell was coming from. Found out when a fellow camper came to me with the bit I had manage to lose. Campsite, municipal, were fine just got a hose and hosed it off. They even allow me back. Grandsprogs thought it was hilarious.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It will always come around and bite you in the arse if you proclaim TOO much. Was it black tank????????? you were worried about.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
I thought I'd better clean out the downpipe on my utility room roof the other day as whilst the gutter was dry it had been full and not draining away earlier in the week.

I managed to part it half way down where there is a divert to the water butt and there was a whoosh of filthy water and leaves all over me. It never occurred to me that might still be a pipeful of water in the downpipe!

Anyway all clean now and I had to change all my clothes to get rid of the dirt and wet!

We can all make silly mistakes!

Ah first rule of any job like that mis try to miss the probable stinky water!
I was a wee bit luckier lol. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Some people will do anything to try and beat my trump card- emptying a bowl of washing up water down the sink with the waste valve open when I was on a Eurotunnel shuttle train. :ROFLMAO:

I bet you had a very red face? I think you have trumped all of us! ::bigsmile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bet you had a very red face? I think you have trumped all of us! ::bigsmile:
When I got brave enough to have a look, as the tank was completely empty not much more than a cupful came out the pipe but it makes a good story.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
So he’s a double sinner

Grey waste on the road AND he’s got a generator.

Wonder if he empties his cassette in the woods ?

Ohh dear ohh dear ?

Oh pants, I think I'm about to be black balled here, ostracised from our fraternity but, I've yet to commit that third sin, emptying the cassette in the woods!!! (n)

I'm still asking for forgiveness. :notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I asked the wifey TinaL to get on tinternet and order us some Thetford Blue toilet stuff, she was chuffed to report that she had found 2 litre bottles of the "Genuine Thetford stuff" for ÂŁ6.49 a bottle, so chuffed she ordered 2 bottles(y)
It was delivered last week, I opened box only to find she had infact ordered 2 bottles of Thetford grey water tank flush.
So we have now run out of the Blue stuff for the loo cassette, I do have the green stuff along with a nose peg so think I will survive the next empty.(wills in place)
But seriously I have never had smelly stuff out of the grey waste pipe, maybe because I never empty a greasy wash up bowl down the kitchen sink, or leave it too long to ferment before emptying.
These measures help considerably ,along with the help of only using Clarins or Elemis designer shower gel & shampoo maybe, I wont mention the Domestos after shower skin toner afterwards:LOL:
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I asked the wifey TinaL to get on tinternet and order us some Thetford Blue toilet stuff, she was chuffed to report that she had found 2 litre bottles of the "Genuine Thetford stuff" for ÂŁ6.49 a bottle, so chuffed she ordered 2 bottles(y)
It was delivered last week, I opened box only to find she had infact ordered 2 bottles of Thetford grey water tank flush.
So we have now run out of the Blue stuff for the loo cassette, I do have the green stuff along with a nose peg so think I will survive the next empty.(wills in place)
But seriously I have never had smelly stuff out of the grey waste pipe, maybe because I never empty a greasy wash up bowl down the kitchen sink, or leave it too long to ferment before emptying.
These measures help considerably ,along with the help of only using Clarins or Elemis designer shower gel & shampoo maybe, I wont mention the Domestos after shower skin toner afterwards:LOL:
Les
I thought Carthago's had a SOG as standard so you dont need any chemicals.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Les

Ah but, when I have a shower its "wire brush & Dettol all the way, including me undercarriage". o_Oo_Oo_O:devil:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I bet everyone’s done it. I managed to knock the waste tap off before we went away for six weeks last summer. I didn’t notice for about ten days (no noticeable smell, and the waste indicator was alright, and we had half a tank of water left, so I knew it didn’t need emptying). I confessed to the campsite owners (in the Isle of Man) who said leave it off, it’s proably doing the grass good! It was such a dry summer, and in my defence it was the first time we’d been away for more than a few days, so I had nothing to go on about how frequently we would need to empty.

I never did find the waste tap. Not a clue what happened to it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've e
I bet everyone’s done it. I managed to knock the waste tap off before we went away for six weeks last summer. I didn’t notice for about ten days (no noticeable smell, and the waste indicator was alright, and we had half a tank of water left, so I knew it didn’t need emptying). I confessed to the campsite owners (in the Isle of Man) who said leave it off, it’s proably doing the grass good! It was such a dry summer, and in my defence it was the first time we’d been away for more than a few days, so I had nothing to go on about how frequently we would need to empty.

I never did find the waste tap. Not a clue what happened to it.
b

I've been told to leave it open on entering a site during hot weather. The grass and insects beneath it must think they've gone to Heaven when they get showered despite the eco friendly washing up liquid. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've e
b

I've been told to leave it open on entering a site during hot weather. The grass and insects beneath it must think they've gone to Heaven when they get showered despite the eco friendly washing up liquid. :)
Probably so that all the bugs come and bother you and leave the other campers alone! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some people will do anything to try and beat my trump card- emptying a bowl of washing up water down the sink with the waste valve open when I was on a Eurotunnel shuttle train. :ROFLMAO:
Glad I don't pair-up with you for an ET frequent traveller account, oh the shame! :blush:

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Dribble away darlin'. I try not to judge any mh sin ... there could always be a valid reason. X
OMG I bought a 1992 van, I took it to my friend's camp site before taking it home, everyone gathered round telling me what and where everything was, what's that I asked on seeing a tap suspended by a chain, ah to be sure, (said an Irish fellow) that's your drain pipe tap, he turned it on the tap fell off and out gushed the foulest smelling gunge ever, all in smelling distance of my friends campers, ten years later I still haven't lived it down, my shame is never ending, but we learn I think!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back