Please don't answer questions with things like (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To my way of thinking. The only stupid question is the one you didn’t ask.
I was told ( in my callous youth ) there were no stupid questions, only stupid answers

I am sure my tutors and teachers would be pleased to note how expert I have become im the latter ..............

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As it is I found that the general attitude of members was helpful, humorous and informed. I signed up and have never regretted it although I have received a couple of “less than helpful” replies. Only a couple in about 7 years of membership.
Tsch, tsch ... must try harder! :LOL:

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
New to motorhoming nearly 9 years ago I joined a ‘wild camping’ forum and was ‘foolish’ enough to ask for advice about a drive away awning. I had one response stating my query was nothing to do with wild camping and shouldn’t be on the forum. After I had finished with the sweats and palpitations at my obviously foolishness others did respond that this poster had been very rude to me. I never posted again or renewed my membership. The best advice would have been ‘just don’t buy one’, much less offensive and good advice 😆

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I am occasionally guilty of posting an answer to questions I know nothing about if a question gets no responses. I just say something like 'welcome but I don't know the answer to your question, hopefully someone who knows will be along shortly.'
No help for their problem but shows someone's listening.

That, my friend, is because you are a nice person. Nothing wrong with doing that. :)
Sorry, my 'funny' slipped out there for your posts - is it just me that misses him in a very weird way??? :sneaky: I thought he was funny!
I always miss the controversial threads and then the nosey mare in me wonders why someone has been banned. :(

As for the search engine... great facility but I still can never find the post I 'm looking for. :). Rely on you lot a lot.... sorry.

Have a safe day everybody.

Last edited:

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
It's a good point. In a similar instance. Wasn't a question as such. More a misunderstanding on my part where i was trying to promote a small business recently and talked about how my stock would be very competitive for the benefit of members. Due to my ignorance of how different forums work i didnt realise it was not allowed to list a couple of prices as an example. A little like the people who ( ask a stupid question) it's because they don't know. Anyway the response i got was not so much an explanation of what i had done wrong and how to do it correctly. No. What i got was a sarcastic message and the offending posts wiped out. The original poster is quite correct. It does put people off and make them feel like they don't belong.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
New to motorhoming nearly 9 years ago I joined a ‘wild camping’ forum and was ‘foolish’ enough to ask for advice about a drive away awning. I had one response stating my query was nothing to do with wild camping and shouldn’t be on the forum.
I was on , and sacked it due to too much slanging at each other clicky and the "owners" being arsey with people

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
As long as we don’t write about it, etc. we can still ignore or skim read large blocks of text?
And whole posts written in bold? Asking for a friend as I love all posts. 😳

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I was on , and sacked it due to too much slanging at each other clicky and the "owners" being arsey with people
I was on there years ago, collected thousands of 'likes' in six months or so, and then the same happened to me. 'FUN' is much nicer!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I was on there years ago, collected thousands of 'likes' in six months or so, and then the same happened to me. 'FUN' is much nicer!
Yeah Id literally renewed my membership a week before, but one thing happened (not to me I hasten to add) and I thought nah!! and just moved on, never been back since. Leave em too it

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Another thing people do on forums is answer a question just for the sake of it even if they have no idea and their answer is totally wrong. Then theres the people who dont read the thread and see that the exact same answer has been given 10 times.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Another thing people do on forums is answer a question just for the sake of it even if they have no idea and their answer is totally wrong. Then theres the people who dont read the thread and see that the exact same answer has been given 10 times.
And the newer replies get the likes. :roflmto:
Good job we’re not here for the “likes”
We’ve Facebook for that.

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I'm on a few forums and commenting on them, especially the political ones, can sometimes be like entering the colosseum where you have to stand your ground and argue well to survive. Some people can be extraordinally nasty but that is the nature of these forums and sometimes its fun but other times not.
This forum is different. Jim has created a lovely place to come and relax and read posts from nice decent people. Asking obvious questions is always going to happen but once the answers get going the good natured humour starts as well and its all good fun and that is one of the main reasons I log on every day - its like the canteen or common room, a place to go to to have blether with your mates.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
On our local Facebook page someone will ask "Anyone know what time the post office is open?" and thirty people will respond either giving the time or with something derogatory, including choice language!

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
On our local Facebook page someone will ask "Anyone know what time the post office is open?" and thirty people will respond either giving the time or with something derogatory, including choice language!
I think I put up with our local Facebook page for about an hour before leaving it. Asinine dross, all of it!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Although I could sometimes offer first hand advice and write a long diatribe I do tend to refer enquirers to and give a link to where the answer or full details can be found (Google, previous Fun posts, Youtube, Dealer website, eBay etc.) on the basis that they will know how to search or where to look in future.

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you've fed him for a lifetime."

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I'm in this gang - I wont answer any body now that has less than six post.

You feel that you are just wasting your time.
Hi there,
No offence intended but if we all adopt your policy, there are going to be no new members cos there’s no point in joining a club or forum whose members won’t answer their questions or offer a solution to their problems, sounds a little unfunsterlike to me, I have also found but not very often If my views don’t agree with someone else’s I have been “shot down in flames” so to speak, the point of a forum isfor everyone to express an opinion or ask for help and advice. Just sayin...

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
It's a good point. In a similar instance. Wasn't a question as such. More a misunderstanding on my part where i was trying to promote a small business recently and talked about how my stock would be very competitive for the benefit of members. Due to my ignorance of how different forums work i didnt realise it was not allowed to list a couple of prices as an example. A little like the people who ( ask a stupid question) it's because they don't know. Anyway the response i got was not so much an explanation of what i had done wrong and how to do it correctly. No. What i got was a sarcastic message and the offending posts wiped out. The original poster is quite correct. It does put people off and make them feel like they don't belong.
Some people delight in trying to make someone else feel bad. If you dont know something or do something wrong a polite comment can put you right and if with humour causes no bad/hurt feelings.

There are a couple of other forums I look at but would not dare join, they eat the uninformed or clumsy alive!

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I agree, just minutes ago I asked a question about tow bar electrics for an A frame and have had multiple helpful responses. I searched the forum before posting and couldn’t see a discussion or post relating to my query but knew I would get helpful positive replies. Such a great resource!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I just post on the the wrong thread and then get myself into trouble for offending someone who would not have read it if it was in the right place
no different to real life

what was the question should I read the OP????????????????

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hate it when people tell someone their post is a repeat... as though we have time to check everything we post is original.

I always want to hug the person being told off.... then they'd never post again anyway.. chased by an ol mad woman. :)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hate it when people tell someone their post is a repeat... as though we have time to check everything we post is original.

I always want to hug the person being told off.... then they'd never post again anyway.. chased by an ol mad woman. :)
I am sure you have said this before is it a repeat :rofl:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I am sure you have said this before is it a repeat :rofl:
Jim..... Please can we have a raspberry emoji so I can send it to Nanniemate.
Tongue Out GIF by MOODMAN

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back