Please don't answer questions with things like (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Look at it another way. When this is all over we will all want to go off motorhoming. We will need sites, ferry bookings, places to park up. The last thing we need are more motorhomers cramping our style. Maybe we should refuse to answer and be very rude. That way they will think motorhoming is an awful recreation and sell up and fill the hotels in Marbella instead.

Friend of mine suggested it😁😁😁

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
David and Sally I know what you mean...

giphy.gif

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am occasionally guilty of posting an answer to questions I know nothing about if a question gets no responses. I just say something like 'welcome but I don't know the answer to your question, hopefully someone who knows will be along shortly.'
No help for their problem but shows someone's listening.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
My take on it is before I joined this forum I’d never been on another forum so didn’t know the etiquette and was a bit daunted by it all .what I would say is quite a few a re ready to shoot you down in flames for quite trivial posts that are not trivial to the new member ,now I’m more thick skinned to say the least :LOL:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On my Honda Blackbird forum which is in its 20th year we get the same questions over and over again..Most common ones are
What tyres
What tyre pressures
What oil

And I should think I have answered the questions close on a thousand times now..
Yes, we have the 'go take a look' brigade but we also have a rule that is firmly held
No one can take the pee or deviate from a tech thread until the OP has been answered

It is a completely different type of forum environment to Fun ( we only have two rules, one as mentioned above, the other you must not wish someone ill.. oh.. forgot one.. you cannot use the C word ) and very anarchic .. but the rule about helping folk is always kept by all the members

Not saying that rule would work here but it is really common decency as folk would not ask a question if they knew the answer or knew a way to get the answer without asking :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Are you 596?

You really don't remember 596? 😯😂
Sorry, my 'funny' slipped out there for your posts - is it just me that misses him in a very weird way??? :sneaky: I thought he was funny!
One of the reasons I stopped going on the "Good Morning" thread..
:( BTW we miss you;)you can always ask if you don't get something, we are a very patient lot in there:hugs:x
As long as it is mentioned they only have 5 free postings...
This is a really good point Mo - I think it should be clearer when someone registers

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
:( BTW we miss you;)you can always ask if you don't get something, we are a very patient lot in there:hugs:x

Thanks Debs.......... But I would be asking for ever more and would not have the time to annoy people on other threads... :giggler:

There seems to be so many abbreviations now... :Smile:

:hugs::*

PS.. I know what BTW means... Bloody tall wombat, an Ozzie mate told me... :doh:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Jim would it be possible to create an auto reply to any thread started in the newbie section.

The reply could be Google is your friend, try the search facility, RTFM etc (y) Thank you for taking the courage with your first post and Fun members will be along shortly to welcome you. You can show your appreciation to their responses if you wish by clicking the like button and by hovering your cursor over it will bring other emoticons. Remember that as a new free member you only get 5 posts and have used one of them. At that point you will need to join here and the rest of the forum with numerous more answers, tips, search facility and friends opens up to you. Welcome to the Fun

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Quite Often is the wrong term I think, sometimes is better.

Had a newbies first response to a genuine question the other day

Are you 596?

Could that get any ruder or sound any more cliquey?
Perhaps they were innocently asking if the OP was older than they looked?:unsure:

:getmecoat:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It shouldn't be necessary to post this thread!!!!!!
I only remember I rule----be nice(or something like that?)
The first forum i went on when i was first trying to use a computer (coincidentally a motorhome forum with same initials as Fun!!)
I plucked up the courage to ask a question which of course I didn't know the answer to-------- I got a "you are so stupid" answer I never posted on there again-------------- THEN Motor Home Fun started and with such a good attitude I will stay---- unless I get kicked out😭😭😭
Thank you Jim for sticking to you principles😊😊

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I was reading a post on an American motorhome forum------- someone was VERY rude to a posters question criticising his grammer/English----- I couldn't help telling that rude poster that I understood the question and english may well have not been his first language!!!!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
On my Honda Blackbird forum which is in its 20th year we get the same questions over and over again..Most common ones are
What tyres
What tyre pressures
What oil

And I should think I have answered the questions close on a thousand times now..
Yes, we have the 'go take a look' brigade but we also have a rule that is firmly held
No one can take the pee or deviate from a tech thread until the OP has been answered

It is a completely different type of forum environment to Fun ( we only have two rules, one as mentioned above, the other you must not wish someone ill.. oh.. forgot one.. you cannot use the C word ) and very anarchic .. but the rule about helping folk is always kept by all the members

Not saying that rule would work here but it is really common decency as folk would not ask a question if they knew the answer or knew a way to get the answer without asking :)
whats the 'C' word Caravan?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I first came across the Forum when looking for information. After finding it, I looked at some of the other threads and became hooked.

I am only glad that I found the answer and didn’t ask a “stupid” question and, potentially, get a rude answer. It would definitely have put me off.

As it is I found that the general attitude of members was helpful, humorous and informed. I signed up and have never regretted it although I have received a couple of “less than helpful” replies. Only a couple in about 7 years of membership.

I am not a member of any other Forum or social media. The range of topics here is endless, (especially the grey water and toilet ones).

Jim is 100% correct. Let’s keep the spirit of the Forum alive and well in these testing times.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I'd sit down and have a talk with myself about why I'm getting irritated by someone I don't know and is only asking for help.:happy:
It’s ok Carol, it’s an age thing, just don’t necessary start believing the answers are correct when your talking to yourself sweet pea. ;)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
What tyres
What tyre pressures
What oil

Well,
What tyres
What tyre pressures
What oil?
I’ve no idea :tmi:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Well said Jim , the kind of responses you indicated were noticeably getting more frequent . Enough to possibly (and probably ?) put people off posting , or maybe even the deciding factor on not subscribing to the site at all..

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I was once on another motorhome forum,which was free,and i used to just read this forum,because i didnt know how to pay😬 (i still dont know how to do some things like quotes) anyhow it was a very helpfull forum and helpedme out when i had my motorhomes, but there were one or two posters who obviously didnt get on and would turn the whole of the op‘s posting into their own slanging match, which somewhat spoilt it for others, there was also some very friendly helpfull members who i think are also on this forum,i like the fact that this forum is policed therefore nobody can be nasty, and i dont always say hello to newbies cos i havent got a motorhome at the moment,so feel a bit of a fraud lol however im always learning. Eg i learnt from one ladies post that my next motorhome will have lithium batteries … cheers pampam👍

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well,
What tyres
What tyre pressures
What oil?
I’ve no idea :tmi:
Tyres are to a great extent personal.. For me it is, at the moment, Avon 3D Sport. Stunning in the wet and track well.. Also they are the only manufacturers who bothered to develop their offerings on heavy powerful bikes.. Busa, Bird, 1400GT etc

Pressures.. ALWAYS 42 42 unless doing a track day.. do a few laps and then drop them back to 42 42 and re-inflate them when you finish and have let them cool

Oil.. contrary to all the experts telling all sorts of porkies based on the fact they wanna flog expensive and MORE oil................
Bird oil has an 8000 mile service interval.. I use cheapo Vauxhaull 10-40 and have done since 1997 .. I avoid using genuine Honda filters after they had severe problems a few years ago.. Dont know how long they have sat on the shelf and might be one of the bad batch,, I use Filtrex filters which are pretty much industry standard
If a Bird needs topping the oil up between services there is something wrong.. even Birds with a million miles + on the original engine never need a drop of oil added between service intervals

Always happy to talk CBR1100XX and pass on what I know :)

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
[peers into crystal ball]

One day in the not too distant future the forum software will include an AI capable of providing all the right answers instantaneously. :cool:
I work for a software company. It can do that already.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I was once on another motorhome forum,which was free,and i used to just read this forum,because i didnt know how to pay😬 (i still dont know how to do some things like quotes) anyhow it was a very helpfull forum and helpedme out when i had my motorhomes, but there were one or two posters who obviously didnt get on and would turn the whole of the op‘s posting into their own slanging match, which somewhat spoilt it for others, there was also some very friendly helpfull members who i think are also on this forum,i like the fact that this forum is policed therefore nobody can be nasty, and i dont always say hello to newbies cos i havent got a motorhome at the moment,so feel a bit of a fraud lol however im always learning. Eg i learnt from one ladies post that my next motorhome will have lithium batteries … cheers pampam👍
Pampam. If you are reading a post and you feel that you would like to comment on it’s contents then in the bottom right hand corner there is a box saying QUOTE touch that and it will copy it into a post by you. Try it with this one 👍🏼😀

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Pampam. If you are reading a post and you feel that you would like to comment on it’s contents then in the bottom right hand corner there is a box saying QUOTE touch that and it will copy it into a post by you. Try it with this one 👍🏼😀
Also, you can highlight part of a post and then there is a "quote" related popup (y)

edit: that was a DBK tip I stole :eek: (iirc)

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
This is the only forum that I have ever subscribed to or regularly visited, precisely because I found the general atmosphere here friendly, polite and helpful..Some others that I have dipped into are like virtual shark pools and I would be very wary of exposing myself to the subtle and not-subtle-at-all kinds of abuse and at times bullying or one-up-personship that goes on.
I have previously posted on my positive experience of MHFun, though I must say I have recently noticed a few instances of the not so friendly stuff going on here. I wondered are we all getting a bit more frustrated and tetchy as a result of the confinements and restrictions and general anxiety of the pandemic. I know some days I am gripped by the frustration and have to be careful the some unsuspecting person or animal doesn't get an earful of undeserved spleen!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back