Please Be Aware if coming to Portugal... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Good day to you all,

I have just returned from a trip to Lisbon airport and back.

This is a round trip of about 300 kms and 80 of these are on a non motorway road.

I experienced 3 very near misses, one of which could have been fatal (the truck involved was Spanish...) on this trip.

There was only one crash (non fatal.)

The general standard of driving in this beautiful country is truly, truly DREADFUL

Everyone tail gates to within a metre or two... the gap you leave between you and the car in front for saftey is a "window of opportunity" to the locals and no one minds making some one else brake hard as long as they get out into the road and the indicators might as well have not been fitted to cars here.

My advice is to be very, very defensive when driving around here...

JJ

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Good day to you all,

This is a round trip of about 300 kms and 80 of these are on a non motorway road.

I experienced 3 very near misses, one of which could have been fatal (the truck involved was Spanish...) on this trip.

The general standard of driving in this beautiful country is truly, truly DREADFUL

Everyone tail gates to within a metre or two... the gap you leave between you and the car in front for saftey is a "window of opportunity" to the locals and no one minds making some one else brake hard as long as they get out into the road and the indicators might as well have not been fitted to cars here.

JJ

Hi JJ

Hope you are well, When we were in Portugal in Sept we had a few near misses, when we were driving from Penela to Ansiao to complete on our little piece of Portugal.

Ant & Debs

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Good day to you all,

JJ

JJ look after the black beast and in doing that yourself mate:winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Glad your ok JJ lets be careful out there:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hasn't Portugal got one of the worst roads for fatalities in the EU The dodgem tracks called IP5 and the N125. That said, I'm sure I read somewhere that they had halved road deaths in Portugal, but I suppose even then the death rate is pretty high:whatthe:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
That said, I'm sure I read somewhere that they had halved road deaths in Portugal, but I suppose even then the death rate is pretty high:whatthe:

They haven't halved the death rates... airbags have!

My sources tell me that there are just as many crashes as before but more people survive them...

PS. I wasn't using the Black Beast for the run... company business means usng the company car...

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Drove from Lisbon down to Lagos once avoiding most of the motorways.

Was an interesting journey and many parts you would have thought you were south of the med, not north of it.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
reminds me of Tunbridge Wells - why go to Portugal

After reading these posts, all I would say is come and drive in Tunbridge Wells.. just as bad as Portugal and you do not have to go so far for the experiance. But seriously, Spain is not a lot better.. the coaches and lorries just sit on you rear bumper... I remeber a few years ago we suffered this with the car when we were staying in a villa.. we got over it a bit by doing something my son in law called washing the car... the water jets on the front of the car were a little high for the car:Blush:.. so when you had a truck locked on to the bumper a qucik wash the car meant he got a his window screen wet.... often seemed to work... but they were bad drivers Spain and Portugal were very bad..France seemed better.

Bob:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
When we had an RV and toad in Spain & Portugal we would worry when a car pull in behind us sometimes they didn't realise we were towing & would try to push in between the RV & toad. :Eeek:

This created some very close calls when passing motorway slip roads as well when they would try to push in once more between the RV & toad.

It can be a very scary place to drive, be prepared. :thumbdown:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Drivers are bad everywhere, I dont think that drivers in spain etc. are any worse than some of the drivers in the uk, our younger generation of drivers seem to have no concept of safe/defensive driving and will push in just the same as drivers abroad, infact i am starting to dislike driving in the uk due to the amount of ****** (impatient idiots) that now seem to be on our roads (but think this is because we are a small country so our roads appear more crowded than the roads in europe) - and im not a sunday driver having spent most of my working life behind the wheel of a vehicle. They seem to think that they are in infallible tanks that will protect them

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Drivers are bad everywhere, I dont think that drivers in spain etc. are any worse than some of the drivers in the uk, our younger generation of drivers seem to have no concept of safe/defensive driving and will push in just the same as drivers abroad, infact i am starting to dislike driving in the uk due to the amount of ****** (impatient idiots) that now seem to be on our roads (but think this is because we are a small country so our roads appear more crowded than the roads in europe)...

I used to commute across the Severn and back and I was glad when I stopped because it became more and more unpleasant due to the dangerous driving, particularly on the M4.

During my recent trundle back along the south coast, apart from the usual selfishness (and some really narrow roads) I actually didn't have too many issues. But I came back to South Wales and....aaarghhh! We must have the worst drivers in the UK.

I had a bloke in a Honda Civic almost push me out of the car park exit while leaving the services at M4 J30, and then overtake me by racing through the petrol station, in between the pumps! :Eeek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Angry::Angry: Did you get his number, son? No-body treats my lad like that..:Angry:

Link Removed

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Portugal sounds just like some bits of Birmingham I have been driving round the last couple of days. White lines are for straddling when heading towards me, white lines at junctions are for scaring me **itless on the main road, or, for crossing so the main road gives way to the minor road. Those funny red, amber and green things seem to be for some kind of lottery or betting scam, or everyone is colour blind and does not know what top/middle/bottom are. Have these people really passed a UK driving test?? Only one more day and I am back home to sanity. The only good thing so far is the car I am driving is a hire car on the firms insurance, and the car iteslf has such poor visibility I can't see half of what is happening (Seat Leon - how did it get through type approvals - its awful). After this, I am convinced I could go and drive in a certain country a long way away.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Drivers are bad everywhere, I dont think that drivers in spain etc. are any worse than some of the drivers in the uk,

I guess that I can't be doing enough driving in the Uk these days if what you say is true...

...I am not talking about the drivers in Spain... no problem with them... I am talking about the drivers in Portugal... in my experience (and after spending six months a year here for the last ten years) a completely different kettle of fish... the figures speak for themselves... the worst traffic casualty figures in the EU.

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
After reading these posts, all I would say is come and drive in Tunbridge Wells.. just as bad as Portugal Bob:thumb:

No doubt you speak the truth but I do find that very hard to believe...

As a matter of interest Bob when were you last on the roads over here... things get worse and worse here imo...

JJ

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Well my self and two other campers will heading over the border to Portugal on Thursday for a 5 day break so we will be keeping oir eyes open and post my opinion on my return,Trev:thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Cripes Jim lad...

with those figures I could prove anything I wanted to!!!!

(don't forget Portugal has a tenth the populartion of the Uk...

JJ

PS. at a first, cursory glance it looks like it was good I never chose to settle in Poland!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back