Pleasant route through France?? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Does anyone know of a pleasant route through France, definitely bypassing Paris and preferrably not on main motorways. We want to head for Toulouse/south of France. We have tried every map, google, mappy michelin etc etc, one is good for this, another for that. etc etc.

What we really want is personal experience of a pleasant route down, (we have never driven abroad before) which is not just endless boring motorway, but is also not bendy narrow roads.

Ideally we want to see and experience France rather than just dashing through it to get to the south. We are going to meander up the west coast on our way home, by which time we will have built up our confidence with the driving, but it is the getting down there which is taking a long time planning.

Ginny and Michael

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Are you going to use a satnav?

The AA website also has a route planning facility ... whichever system you use specify avoid toll roads once you're over there.

I'll pm you later today with our usual route...

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Tom Tom took me down to Bordeaux set to miss toll roads and took us through some fantastic places and scenery via the N roads (route Nationale) :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Are you going to use a satnav?

The AA website also has a route planning facility ... whichever system you use specify avoid toll roads once you're over there.

I'll pm you later today with our usual route...

Yes we have Tom Tom. but whenever we put a destination in it makes us go through Paris - and that is definitely a no no!!

2escapees

Deleted User
Oh come on guys all routes through France are pleasant. But why not drive along the Normandy Coast and camp on the quayside at Port Bessin it is great then head down towards Rouen and Le Mans. From there go south towards Saumur and spend a night or two at Camping le Courte Vallee in Airvault. From they go towards Poitiers and Limoge but visit Oradour sur Glane and visit the memorial. The aire de service there offers a good night stop. The source of the Loire is worth a visit and takes you across country down towards Toulouse. But why stop at Toulouse go to Carcassone the campsite there is great and a short walk into town and the medieval city.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Just used Via Michelin... make destination Poitier, specify avoid toll roads... avoids Paris and gives a mixture of main roads and motorways, reprogramme tom for you ultimate destination at a convenient point

At Evreux for example you could reprogramme Tom to take you via Limoges, Bourge ...depends on how much of a direct route you want.... or how much scenery

If you want a stopover, Chartres (Bord de la Loire) site is handy with a 20 to 30 min walk by the river into the city... again it depends how many miles per day suits you:winky:

If you are meandering back you might like Camping-KathyDave @ La Fosse De Tigne ...we haven't stayed there yet but intend to 'cos they responded quickly when we asked about taking the dog... and the site looks good:winky:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi Ginny & Mike,
Graham (SNG) and Mike (2Escapees) have a good point. Instead of telling whatever routeing program you're using to take you to Toulouse (or wherever your final destination would be) why not start at your point of entry, decide on your distance for the day and choose somewhere of interest at that radius (for example Rouen is a super place to visit, is only about 150 miles from Calais and about 50 from Le Havre), find a stopping point that is convenient for exploring the location and do a route to that place entering your priorities. Then do the same for the next leg (Saintes is interesting - twinned with Salisbury - and is about 350 miles from Rouen, though that would maybe be too far for one hit. But there are a huge number of interesting places to visit - Limoges (not a particularly overwhelming town, but their ceramics are to die for) and so on.
Basically what we're suggesting is to choose where you want to see and make the mapping work for you rather than try to find places of interest around where the mappng takes you - if you see what I mean.

Whatever you end up doing enjoy it. :thumb:

ATB

John

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Pat just reminded me that you'd left a week or so ago. I'd have thought you'd've been there by now. :Smile: Your SatNav that bad is it??:roflmto:

John

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Me again,
Have you had a look at Sharon's post in this section - France Passion.

We've not used them but understand it's a super way of getting to see some of 'the real' French countryside.

John

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John and Pat, yes we should have set off a week last Sunday, but the weather was so bad and the forecast so grim we decided to postpone it for a couple of weeks and hope the weather improved!!

We leave on the 10 am Ferry this Sunday, (I daren't say come hell or high water!!!!!) so I will take a copy of all the posts and take is stage by stage as you suggest.

By the By, Michael fitted the Gaslow system, we filled up on Sunday and it is working a treat!!!

Will we see you at the Stratford show?

Ginny and Michael

P

peter anthony

Deleted User
Hello,
We travelled thru France in June last with similar plans miss Paris and skirt a few major spots.We are from Australia and coming over to Spain this June. Our tomtom was good, it gave us the option of avoiding toll roads which led us to much nicer countryside still good roads but the opportunity to see small villages etc. We stayed a few times where we had easy access to good rail and were able to wiz into Paris,Arles,Nimes etc. if you are interested I could send you a brief map and a few recomendations. We are going to need similar sort of advice for spain ourselves.
Cheers Peter

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi John and Pat, yes we should have set off a week last Sunday, but the weather was so bad and the forecast so grim we decided to postpone it for a couple of weeks and hope the weather improved!!

We leave on the 10 am Ferry this Sunday, (I daren't say come hell or high water!!!!!) so I will take a copy of all the posts and take is stage by stage as you suggest.

By the By, Michael fitted the Gaslow system, we filled up on Sunday and it is working a treat!!!

Will we see you at the Stratford show?

Ginny and Michael

Ah, can't say I blame you; hope the weather's better this weekend.
Glad you like the Gaslow setup.:thumb: I've just this afternoon taken delivery of 2 x 6kg Calor LW cylinders. Really light. I understand they're supposed to be fitted with a gauge, but apparently this early batch wasn't. Oh well, I don't care, even Pat finds them easy to lift (Hmmm maybe they're empty. ::bigsmile:

Have you seen the post from TinaGlen about all the road number changes. That is so annoying:Angry: (Not TGs post, the number changes. ::bigsmile:)

Stratford show? When's that? Ah! 6th. - 8th. June. That's a no then as we'll be in Sweden. Leaving home on 3rd and driving to Harwich. Ferry to Esjberg, drive to Fredrickshaven and take the ferry to Gotenbrg then making our way into Jamptland.
Staying in a resort at Tannas for a week then going somewhere else for a week. Stopping in Denmark for several days on the way back. Should be away about a month. We'll see you somewhere else, I'm sure.

Good crossing, safe driving and happy camping. :Smile:

John

Last edited:
V

vanessa

Deleted User
Limoges (not a particularly overwhelming town, but their ceramics are to die for) and so on.

Limoges has its lovely parts, but has been swallowed-up by too much thoughtless development.

If you want small traditional boutiques, you can't beat Brive la Gaillarde, about 60km south of Limoges along the toll-free A20 (or along the N-roads if you prefer). There are loads of picturesque villages along the way between those two small cities, and loads of history, and not forgetting the "route of Richard the Lionheart" which weaves its merry way along the roads of the Limousin.

Of course, no visit to the Limousin is complete without a stop-over at our place:winky:, especially if you sample the delights of my husband's cooking, too:thumb:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hello,
We travelled thru France in June last with similar plans miss Paris and skirt a few major spots.We are from Australia and coming over to Spain this June. Our tomtom was good, it gave us the option of avoiding toll roads which led us to much nicer countryside still good roads but the opportunity to see small villages etc. We stayed a few times where we had easy access to good rail and were able to wiz into Paris,Arles,Nimes etc. if you are interested I could send you a brief map and a few recomendations. We are going to need similar sort of advice for spain ourselves.
Cheers Peter

I would really appreciate that Peter, thanks.

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Limoges has its lovely parts, but has been swallowed-up by too much thoughtless development.

If you want small traditional boutiques, you can't beat Brive la Gaillarde, about 60km south of Limoges along the toll-free A20 (or along the N-roads if you prefer). There are loads of picturesque villages along the way between those two small cities, and loads of history, and not forgetting the "route of Richard the Lionheart" which weaves its merry way along the roads of the Limousin.

Of course, no visit to the Limousin is complete without a stop-over at our place:winky:, especially if you sample the delights of my husband's cooking, too:thumb:

Yes we are still planning on visiting you, it will be Monday or Tuesday depending on how long we dawdle along the way. I will telephone you to confirm when we are on our way. I am looking forwards to your husband's cooking, what is his speciality???

Ginny

V

vanessa

Deleted User
Yes we are still planning on visiting you, it will be Monday or Tuesday depending on how long we dawdle along the way. I will telephone you to confirm when we are on our way. I am looking forwards to your husband's cooking, what is his speciality???

Ginny

Monday OR Tuesday are both fine, Ginny, and we look forward to meeting you.

As for my husband's speciality ... large portions I think sums it up best:ROFLMAO:. He loves cooking, and loves variety. We have some good friends over here, and every so often, Chris (my husband) rings them up and says "fancy being experimented on tonight?" - and he tries out new recipes on them:roflmto:

The neighbours (all French) are all trying to get Chris to open a small restaurant, as they're bowled-over by his cooking::bigsmile:

Edit:

Chris just walked in the room, and blushed at what I've written!! HE wants to know what your favourite food is?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Neither of us are 'fussy eaters' and both enjoy all types of food - except raw fish!

Michael loves Tai food, but really we will try and enjoy anything.

See you soon - by the way, is the weather getting better over there??

Ginny and Michael

V

vanessa

Deleted User
You're safe on the raw fish front ... I wouldn't let Chris serve that up!!:roflmto:

Yes, the weather is turning much warmer, and more settled. We've got sunshine and fluffy white clouds at the moment, and the forecast is for more of the same::bigsmile: It's been 15 degrees here today (contrast that with the 2 or 3 degrees we got Easter weekend!!) - you certainly did the right thing postponing your trip:thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Right. That's a place to bookmark. Wouldn't dream of missing it next time we're down there.

Thanks for the info on Limoges. We love the porcelain but never found much of interest about the city itself. Have to look harder next time.

Thanks for the other snippets too. :thumb:

John

V

vanessa

Deleted User
You're welcome, John ... and we look forward to welcoming you here.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I should write a book about visiting the Limousin:ROFLMAO:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Good idea. Get Vicarious books to promote it for you and make an absolute fortune. Or maybe not.::bigsmile:

I'd buy it. If it wasn't too expensive. :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back