Plastic "Oh No" Banned (1 Viewer)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
I see that TM has suddenly gone all ecomental today hoping to ban unnecessary plastic wrapping ...... in 25 years time :(
Not exactly urgent then apparently!
There was coverage on a 25p levy on non recyclable coffee cups the other week. Not that I'm a great user of Costa/ Starbucks etc but what's with getting the consumer to pay ..... how's about getting Costa etc to pay their :swear2: taxes first and use that to pay for a few decent recycling centres instead of shipping the problem to China or wherever ...... grrrr

And relax :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Baileysbus
I agree totally about the 25p surcharge on coffee cups. The remedial action should be taken by the various coffe houses, not leave it to the consumer.

However, listening to the news this lunchtime and hearing the Labour Party saying, once again, “too little, too late”, about the Tories move to reduce the use of plastics, did make me wonder why they hadn’t dealt with the problem quickly when they were in Government.

C’est la vie!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It would seem that whenever something threatens the environment, our dopey parliamentarians try to milk it for every penny before actually start to (try and?) sort things out.

Not worth a ***king carrot.. The Lot of Them!!!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The wording is unnecessary packaging, who decides if it or it’s not ? And will it be the same for the whole of the uk or like the rest of recycling different in every town.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
@Baileysbus
I agree totally about the 25p surcharge on coffee cups. The remedial action should be taken by the various coffe houses, not leave it to the consumer.

/QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

I do not like drinking anything out of plastic - coffee, beer, wine.

Some coffe places do not even provide the option of a real cup/mug, only plastic, even when drinking it inside.

I would really object to being charged an extra 25p when I have no option to have a real cup inside the establishment.

Anyway most of these take-away coffee cups are paper are they not?

Geoff

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@nicholsong
I believe that the problem is that the coffe “paper” cups are coated with plastic which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to recycle them.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We must come from a deprived back ground as We manage to go on holiday/work/shopping etc with out a bottle of water or bloody coffee, we found little shop's that sell drinks, some have said they are called cafe's or bar's something like that I think, they are a wonderment to be hold, because you dont need to balance your plastic coffee cup on your steering wheel as you drive, such a novel idea to drink it before you drive on the motorway.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
@nicholsong
I believe that the problem is that the coffe “paper” cups are coated with plastic which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to recycle them.
As are most teabags apparentley...wonder how many of them go into the compostible bin...

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
longer to ditch something you could realistically to in 2 years , than we get for the IC engine.

The Camper

Free Member
May 3, 2014
ex/Rochdale now fulltiming
Funster No
MH
Hymer 614sl
Exp
Since 2000
They should get rid of bottled water.
Could easily be done within 6 months.
Soneone without conscience is making an awful lot of money

I could never understand why people buy bottled water - are they that stupid to believe the hype of the advertising. The UK has some of the best tap water in the world and yet they cough up good money to buy the likes of 'Peckham spring water'.
I witnessed 2 women in Asda discussing the merits of their respective bottled water - how it tastes, how good it was for them and how the hubby wouldn't touch any other brand (it's water for goodness sake).

The plastic pollution revolution may put paid to the (brainless) bottled water buyers.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
If they ban cheap plastic what are they going to make new Hymers out of? :D

Expensive plastic!! - oh I forgot - they do that already!! ;)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I could never understand why people buy bottled water - are they that stupid to believe the hype of the advertising. The UK has some of the best tap water in the world and yet they cough up good money to buy the likes of 'Peckham spring water'.
I witnessed 2 women in Asda discussing the merits of their respective bottled water - how it tastes, how good it was for them and how the hubby wouldn't touch any other brand (it's water for goodness sake).

The plastic pollution revolution may put paid to the (brainless) bottled water buyers.
Obviously you've never tasted the water in N Lincs for instance, it's absolutely horrible!!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
@Baileysbus

However, listening to the news this lunchtime and hearing the Labour Party saying, once again, “too little, too late”, about the Tories move to reduce the use of plastics, did make me wonder why they hadn’t dealt with the problem quickly when they were in Government.

C’est la vie!
Or of course The Tories pre 1997,,,,They are all at fault due to very big donations from big business,,
I always go in a coffee shop that serves coffee in a china/pot cup,,,simple,,why do they need disposable,,,BUSBY

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A load I sometimes do is biscuits, kitkat etc that’s out of date etc. They put the lot still in the wrapping into a grinder and grind it up then use it to make pig food, and when you tip it up it sparkles with th bits of tin foil and plastic in it. So we could feed all the plastic to the pigs problem sorted.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There are plastics that are made from food manufacturing waste and that will compost. I have a couple of soft drinks cartons made from maize processing waste and (some/most/all - not sure which of the three apply) PLA is made from byproducts of the sugar industry and maize waste.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
In my personal opinion I can see no need whatsoever for bottled water in the UK or in fact most European Countries - I just don't get it! :confused:

However I do realise that I am probably in a minority because not only do I drink tap water at home but I actually drink the water direct from the tank (the fresh water tank of course! ;) ) in the Mo Ho:eek: - I have been doing so in my caravans & MoHos for a total of nearly 40 year snow and am still here to bore you all with my posts!! :D2:cautious:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The real reasons are, Dentists want to stop drivers drinking from Plastic bottles while on the move. Everybody knows,that you can drink from a Plastic bottle while doing 18 Mega Warp speed,over sleeping Police....Bumps/thingies,whereas,hitting these same bumps/thingies while drinking from a Glass bottle....... CHIPS YOUR TEETH. .
The rise of the use of Plastic bottles,has lead to a downturn in Dental practise incomes.
To... Bottled Water drinkers.
The Waters (where certain "Derbyshire Waters" are sourced) were once the places where the legions of "Derbyshire Limestone Cowboy" drivers,used to wash their lorries amongst other things(n)....Funny old world:whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Inside the factory, with the annoying Greg Wallace, did a programme on tea bags, there is plastic in a tea bag otherwise the bag would fall apart.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The latte tax was a great idea (IMO) but it just seems to have disappeared.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Isn't it weird how plastic bags containing food are none bio degradable yet the collectible waste product in plastic bags is?
Oooo!! and scented to boot. :D2

bag'ems1_800_800_160621034612.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
In my personal opinion I can see no need whatsoever for bottled water in the UK or in fact most European Countries - I just don't get it! :confused:

However I do realise that I am probably in a minority because not only do I drink tap water at home but I actually drink the water direct from the tank (the fresh water tank of course! ;) ) in the Mo Ho:eek: - I have been doing so in my caravans & MoHos for a total of nearly 40 year snow and am still here to bore you all with my posts!! :D2:cautious:

Fully agree,,we drank water from anywhere when we were kids,,,still here.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi.
The real reasons are, Dentists want to stop drivers drinking from Plastic bottles while on the move. Everybody knows,that you can drink from a Plastic bottle while doing 18 Mega Warp speed,over sleeping Police....Bumps/thingies,whereas,hitting these same bumps/thingies while drinking from a Glass bottle....... CHIPS YOUR TEETH. .
The rise of the use of Plastic bottles,has lead to a downturn in Dental practise incomes.
To... Bottled Water drinkers.
The Waters (where certain "Derbyshire Waters" are sourced) were once the places where the legions of "Derbyshire Limestone Cowboy" drivers,used to wash their lorries amongst other things(n)....Funny old world:whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

But wherever the water has come from it will have gone through a treatment plant,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back