LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin and I have refillable plastic bottles. They are much thicker than the disposable bottles and we've been using them for several years - got them in the USA (free) and they unscrew in the middle so you can put ice in them and clean them easily.

Once finished with the bottles will recycle :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Honestly can't see the need of buying bottled water in this country, we have if not the purist then almost there. Tiz just a habit. And how many of the folks carrying the ubiquitous bottled water hasn't done a cheeky refill from the house tap once the original "water" has been drunk ?
I've experienced the water in Malta, even washing your face the smell of the water makes you want to vomit.
Elsewhere we filled our canteens from water pouring from the vegetation during the daily rain storms, Only problem was we had to strain the Tiger Leeches through our teeth when we had to drink.

Sorry @cornish boy I honestly can't see why anyone would want to buy bottled water in this country.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
How does that work then ?
Plastic is generally waterproof and tea bags tend to get a bit soggy at least.
I would think tea bag 'paper' has a high cotton fibre content for strength, not plastic.
Apparently it's mainly hay. It's imported but can't remember where from. I delivered this hay to a company in North Manchester and they told me they supply most top tea suppliers with tea bag covering. I was astounded.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Honestly can't see the need of buying bottled water in this country, we have if not the purist then almost there. Tiz just a habit. And how many of the folks carrying the ubiquitous bottled water hasn't done a cheeky refill from the house tap once the original "water" has been drunk ?
I've experienced the water in Malta, even washing your face the smell of the water makes you want to vomit.
Elsewhere we filled our canteens from water pouring from the vegetation during the daily rain storms, Only problem was we had to strain the Tiger Leeches through our teeth when we had to drink.

Sorry @cornish boy I honestly can't see why anyone would want to buy bottled water in this country.
Its fashion like walking around with a coffee and a designer dog in your hand bag,,Celebs do it so people copy..You don't really need water with you in UK many days of the year because its never hot enough to dehydrate,,BUSBY,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Its fashion like walking around with a coffee and a designer dog in your hand bag,,Celebs do it so people copy..You don't really need water with you in UK many days of the year because its never hot enough to dehydrate,,BUSBY,,
Hi
"designer dog".Just watched ITV News.. A couple,at in their lounge in rolled up shirt/blouse sleeves and around their necks..........Scarves.:rolleyes:
Tea Bag

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I see that TM has suddenly gone all ecomental today hoping to ban unnecessary plastic wrapping ...... in 25 years time :(
Not exactly urgent then apparently!
There was coverage on a 25p levy on non recyclable coffee cups the other week. Not that I'm a great user of Costa/ Starbucks etc but what's with getting the consumer to pay ..... how's about getting Costa etc to pay their :swear2: taxes first and use that to pay for a few decent recycling centres instead of shipping the problem to China or wherever ...... grrrr

And relax :)
Costa I think are one of the few which do pay their taxes. They are owned by Whitbread, a FTSE 100 company.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Why am I not surprised that you responded to that....(y)
I wonder
k1528488.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In my personal opinion I can see no need whatsoever for bottled water in the UK or in fact most European Countries - I just don't get it! :confused:

However I do realise that I am probably in a minority because not only do I drink tap water at home but I actually drink the water direct from the tank (the fresh water tank of course! ;) ) in the Mo Ho:eek: - I have been doing so in my caravans & MoHos for a total of nearly 40 year snow and am still here to bore you all with my posts!! :D2:cautious:
So do I but there are some parts of the UK where tapwater tastes of TCP or sheepdip. When in those areas we stick to tea :).

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Obviously you've never tasted the water in N Lincs for instance, it's absolutely horrible!!
Cheers, Dave(y)

We stayed up near Wet Wang and the water was appalling. Unfortunately we didn't realise until after we'd filled the tank in the MH! It was undrinkable totally. It took three flush throughs and three tanks of water to get rid of it. So not all UK water is good.

I don't drink coke or such like as a rule. But I do enjoy a glass of fizzy spring water. And I to carry a bottle in the car too. It's cheaper than going to a cafe. I reuse the bottles though!

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
@Baileysbus
I agree totally about the 25p surcharge on coffee cups. The remedial action should be taken by the various coffe houses, not leave it to the consumer.

However, listening to the news this lunchtime and hearing the Labour Party saying, once again, “too little, too late”, about the Tories move to reduce the use of plastics, did make me wonder why they hadn’t dealt with the problem quickly when they were in Government.

C’est la vie!
That's all labour do-disagree and pick fault with the other party--might as well not be there.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
How does that work then ?
Plastic is generally waterproof and tea bags tend to get a bit soggy at least.
I would think tea bag 'paper' has a high cotton fibre content for strength, not plastic.

Just googled and came up with this, might be different now as it is from 2010

Lipton, for instance, makes its regular tea bags out of unbleached hemp and non-chlorine-bleached paper, which can be composted. Its pyramid tea bags, however, are made from polyethylene terephthalate, a food-grade plastic that's also used in clear water and juice bottles.20 Jan 2012

Gardening reveals that teabags produced by top tea manufacturers such as Tetley, PG Tips, Twinnings, Clipper and Typhoo are only between 70-80% biodegradable. As a result, gardeners are finding the net part of teabags - caused by the inclusion of heat-resistant polypropylene - left on their compost heaps.2 Jul 2010

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
That's all labour do-disagree and pick fault with the other party--might as well not be there.

Thats what an opposition Party in UK politics is supposed to do..the clue is in their name,,,BUSBY,,

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have decided to have our milk delivered to our door in milk bottles for pints a day
this is another step to removing plastic from our life.
we only buy bread ether grees proof paper warped or in paper bag's we have bought washing up soap in gallon containers and then decant to smaller bottle
re used Sam bottle for seven times now
buy all our cereal lose or as much as we can we go to the farm shop for our veges warped up in news paper and then in to our bags.
we burn wood for heating the home but have gas central heating for back up we only burn seasoned timber now
we don't buy new all the time we reuse as much as possibill
we have bought stainless steel drinks bottle's and stainless Steele insulated cups.
we dont buy from costco or any of the fancy coffee shops
i have band shop bought drinking water and have a water filter in the house
now one of theas
http://www.brita.co.uk/brita/en-gb/..._p_3000_wd3030.grid?id=1027745&category=offer
and fill our water bottles or reuse bottle to lower our plastic foot print.
bill

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The government is looking at various proposals at the moment. They are not trying to bring in legislation currently. When you want to deal with a problem you look at the full range of options from the batshit crazy to the ineffective.

My opinion on this and I have rattled on about it for years is as follows;
Unnecessary plastic should be banned. Wrapping on vegetables for instance seems nuts to me.
Plastic types that cannot be recycled in this country should not be allowed to be used at all.
Products that combine a plastic with another material that makes it hard to recycle should be taxed quite heavily, disposable coffee cups are a prime example.
Products such as bottles should operate a deposit scheme.
Councils across the country should be forced to recycle all plastics that are legal to be sold by manufacturers. Government and councils should get there heads together to decide which plastics to ban in consumer products.

Just my random thoughts.

PS: I buy 5L water bottles because the water in this part of lincolnshire tastes heavily of chlorine, it really makes your coffee and tea taste nasty.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Back in the early 60's I went to Malta a few times with the "Grey Funnel Line" and you are spot on about the water then!! it was so bad that us thirsty sailors didn't even drink the beer made from it!!:(
Didn't stop us drinking alcohol though - we used to drink "screech" which was local red wine & coke (Coca Cola did not have a bottling plant in Malta so the coke was imported therefore free from the "Maltese taint"):)
Malta had (still has) fabulous wealth in the churches and religious palaces but could not afford a decent water treatment plant!!!:confused:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Anyone use ear buds to clean their ears......plastic.
Am guessing the Carton my coconut milk comes in May have plastic on the outside......not sure what ?I can do about that other than contact the manufacturer.

Which is where I think these things need to start to really make a difference. With manufacturers.

Anyone bought children's tots recently......the packaging abd the ties are all plastic. Dolls are 'tied' into the boxes.....'why'?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I don't think our leaders will really take this serious because they get huge funding from the food industry..We could all make a difference though. Lets all be vigilant and try not to buy anything with packaging. Not easy i know but just little things help if done by many,,,,BUSBY:)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
But wherever the water has come from it will have gone through a treatment plant,,,BUSBY.
not neccesarily, were on a private supply that has no treatment, as are many proeprties around this way

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Plus we have a very healthy export industry selling tons to China. Recently stated that China was banning ALL imports of scrap plastic but loads still going. 28 tonnes a time x 10 wagons a day and that's just from one plant.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Everyone hears abut the carbon foot print a invisabill thing every one talks abut
plastic's can be seen and leave a visabill impression on planet earth.
look at your bucket.
Before it gets taken away have a look at the start of your your plastic reduction plans the two weeks later when you bin gets emptied adagane if there less in the bin thats your contribution to your plastic foot print reduction
bill

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Products such as bottles should operate a deposit scheme.
Yes just like the glass fizzy drinks bottles used to.
Can you imagine how many discarded bottles would be left lying around.....none, because the kids would gather them up for the deposits.

OP
OP
Baileysbus

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
PS: I buy 5L water bottles because the water in this part of lincolnshire tastes heavily of chlorine, it really makes your coffee and tea taste nasty.

The water up here is heavily chlorinated too so I use those Brita water jugs like @Wildbill suggested. Makes the "corporation pop" as my dear old dad used to say, much more drinkable (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Plus we have a very healthy export industry selling tons to China. Recently stated that China was banning ALL imports of scrap plastic but loads still going. 28 tonnes a time x 10 wagons a day and that's just from one plant.
Don't think China would be paying for it,,more likely charging us to dispose of the stuff,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Yes just like the glass fizzy drinks bottles used to.
Can you imagine how many discarded bottles would be left lying around.....none, because the kids would gather them up for the deposits.

The deposit would have to be big to get todays kids to take them back,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back