webmonkeyuk

Free Member
Feb 10, 2011
stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ive had my motorhome stored over winter at a storage site and ive had my full cover over the motorhome to keep the snow/rain off it, anyway i decided now that its getting abit nicer and im planing on using it next month id take the cover off. so ive been down today and removed the cover only to find about a 3 inch crack in the outside plastic bodywork from the drivers side rear window. if anyone is familler with a swift royal 610 you might know what i mean.

it comes from the window frame down to the gas bottle storage locker. ive only had the motorhome since october and i wasnt planning on this :Sad: ive no idea what could of happened my only guess is it didnt like our -15c temps we had over winter. any way can this be fixed and what sort of price would i be looking at, i was thinking of having ago myself using a resin repair kit and maybe some cataloy filler.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
does the crack go right through the outer skin to the foam core or is it just the outer gel coat which has cracked ?

sounds very much like a leak around the window and the harsh weather has frozen the damp core and swollen causing the crack.

if it goes right through i'd get a proffesional job done as it may have compromised the structural strength.

gel coat crack should be fixable with resin/filler.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

webmonkeyuk

Free Member
Feb 10, 2011
stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
both sides around the crack move if you touch them, im not sure if it goes right through as i didnt want to pull at it but id say from looking its just the outer skin that has split. i will try and get a photo when im there next

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if both sides of the crack move independantly of each other i'd say theres a good chance its cracked all the way through the gel coat and outer skin.

i reckon repairing with filler and resin wont last long as the body will flex enough to crack it again.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
to find about a 3 inch crack in the outside plastic bodywork from the drivers side rear window.

I've read that line before. A good while ago. Have a good search on here because I think it was major repair job done FOC because the window was fitted badly. If you can't find it on here use Google.

I think it was Swift too, but so many complaints are I may be confused.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
there was a similar post on this sort of crack happening to a Autotrail on the other motorhome site , from what i remember it went back to autotrail for the repair

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Brian

Why pick on Swifts!! Have you seriously never met anyone with another make that didn't have a catalogue of disasters?

Like the couple we met first time out who "always had Hymers" - but the latest had to go back 20+ times to get stuff fixed!

(And they paid over £20k more than us for their beastie for much the same accommodation but without an oven or microwave and with a smaller bathroom. Did have much nicer curtains though!)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi webmonkeyuk and welcome :thumb: I remember reading similar items on both Autotrail and Swift. ::bigsmile::winky: In both cases (several ) they were returned to the manufactures who ended up replacing the entire sides of the vans.
How old is your van, you say you only got it in October ?If new you have the answer :thumb: If out of G/Tee - I believe 6 yrs but may be wrong- no doubt they will wriggle out of it :Eeek: then short of replacing the entire side the best way to effect a repair would be to tackle it from inside strengthening about 6 ins( 150mm ) either side of the crack with a fibreglass patch and then doing the same to the inside wall.Once that is done then tackle the out side skin repair:thumb:
terry

OP
OP
W

webmonkeyuk

Free Member
Feb 10, 2011
stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
the van is a 1997 p reg so i doubt swift would be interested but as far as i can see all the window frames are sealed very good with proper silicon so ive no idea how it managed to crack still, ive had alook today and by the looks of it the problem is limited to the outside skin. ive shopped around for some quotes and there getting back to me but im thinking it might repair with the use of some fibreglass patches and some strong resin. we shall see i guess

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Make sure you find out what material is first ie grp acrylic abs etc as it effects how to repair it:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back