Plans refused (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It looks like the locals thought it was a 'back door' application for a traveler site

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I don't think it will give the C&CC and the CC too many problems. When the club heard about the local opposition they decided not to recommend/implement the site license.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Exactly. So will this lead to greater difficulties for anyone submitting plans. Also will there be other submitions for backdoor gypsy sites I wonder?

Wyn
It looks like the locals thought it was a 'back door' application for a traveler site

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
As I understand it. The c&cc decided not to licence it as a site after being made aware of local opinion. It begs the question, will other attempts be made to create gypsy sites under the guise of CLs/ CSs?

Wyn

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes, but do you need planning permission for the bits they don't mention, like increased vehicle access, possible need for a sceptic tank etc??
Vehicle access (in Scotland at least) is part of the planning process, the septic tank is covered by building regulations and SEPA (or environment agency).

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Unlike France where heavy trucks must be off the road at certain times, our highways and byways do not the large truck parks dotted around most towns that could be adapted into Aires. It is however, high time that a government ministry, with an interest in tourism, canals, parks and gardens or what have you, looked seriously at encouraging amenities like Aires. It could happen, for over the years we have adopted many other features of road and travelling ideas from France since we seem to lack the confidence of initiative over here.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do not think it is confidence that is lacked in England..
I DO think it is a whole lot of NIMBY behaviour and fear of the unknown ..
There is also the aspect that a lot of camp sites are owned by people who sit on councils ( it is the nature of the system that someone with a bit of bread and time seem to end up on councils ) and as such are very reluctant to allow such things as low cost or god forbid free places to use instead of their own, oft over priced, sites

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
There needs to be a change in the law so Gypsies and travellers can be immediately moved on by the police if they trespass. Once these are properly under control then perhaps the populace will be less concerned about genuine motorhomers. Still won't stop selfish campsite owners objecting though!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There needs to be a change in the law so Gypsies and travellers can be immediately moved on by the police if they trespass. Once these are properly under control then perhaps the populace will be less concerned about genuine motorhomers. Still won't stop selfish campsite owners objecting though!
While agreeing with you do you think most of the populace don't see any difference between mhs and " travellers "

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
While agreeing with you do you think most of the populace don't see any difference between mhs and " travellers "

I think so. "Travellers" tend to arrive in groups be abusive and leave a mess whilst motorhomers usually have well cared for vehicles, are polite and often leave the place cleaner than when they arrived.

When we stop in a lay-by I try to pick up a bit of litter before we move on.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think so. "Travellers" tend to arrive in groups be abusive and leave a mess whilst motorhomers usually have well cared for vehicles, are polite and often leave the place cleaner than when they arrived.

When we stop in a lay-by I try to pick up a bit of litter before we move on.
We know that, but do others?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We know that, but do others?
Well if they see me picking up litter wearing a hi-vis vest I hope so..... and I make a point of chatting to people in cafes, shops and so on letting them know we are motorhomers and on holiday. Most people are friendly in return. Perhaps it also helps if you look clean and smart?

I've never had anyone be rude or call me a traveller - so far.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well if they see me picking up litter wearing a hi-vis vest I hope so..... and I make a point of chatting to people in cafes, shops and so on letting them know we are motorhomers and on holiday. Most people are friendly in return. Perhaps it also helps if you look clean and smart?

I've never had anyone be rude or call me a traveller - so far.
Neither have I but we are talking about plans to have sites next to people's homes who have probably never had anything to do with either mhs or travellers apart from what they have read

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Let's hope that not everyone is a NIMBY at heart!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Neither have I but we are talking about plans to have sites next to people's homes who have probably never had anything to do with either mhs or travellers apart from what they have read

Well we have had a few Funsters come by here and say "hello". Some even come back :)

When I suggested having a BritStop or similar at a development planned for the future in the village it was greeted with enthusiasm by all - one resident (not known for hos go-ahead attitude) said "Oh, motorhomers are usually older people who would have an interest or interest in our history and it's all about footfall in these visitor places..... sounds like a good idea!" There is a long way to go before the development goes ahead but the residents are hoping to make a go of things. Another local land owner is investigation a CS / CL on his land and that has also had a cautious thumbs up - very surprised as usually it is hands up in horror when ANYTHING is suggested!

Of the 20 houses here (17 occupied at present) 3 have motorhomes outside :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well we have had a few Funsters come by here and say "hello". Some even come back :)

When I suggested having a BritStop or similar at a development planned for the future in the village it was greeted with enthusiasm by all - one resident (not known for hos go-ahead attitude) said "Oh, motorhomers are usually older people who would have an interest or interest in our history and it's all about footfall in these visitor places..... sounds like a good idea!" There is a long way to go before the development goes ahead but the residents are hoping to make a go of things. Another local land owner is investigation a CS / CL on his land and that has also had a cautious thumbs up - very surprised as usually it is hands up in horror when ANYTHING is suggested!

Of the 20 houses here (17 occupied at present) 3 have motorhomes outside :)
Cs/cl not the same as an aire, can cost as much as site only not got the same amenities, anyone can have one of them if affiliated with cc or ccc or even fun(y) don't think there's any bother with planning for one of them

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Cs/cl not the same as an aire, can cost as much as site only not got the same amenities, anyone can have one of them if affiliated with cc or ccc or even fun(y) don't think there's any bother with planning for one of them

It was just that when he said he was thinking about opening a CL / CS on his land there was a cautious welcome rather than the usual in-drawn breaths and condemnation and letters to the community council and residents association! To say I was surprised is putting it mildly.

Mind we do have people "camping" at a local (now disused) quarry twice a year for a motorcycle scrambling event. The campers (motorhomes and caravans) leave things clean and tidy :)

I am not sure an aire would work here as it's the back of beyond, no shops, no pub, nothing unless you want to drive 8 miles into the (small) town or 3 miles to another village. It's also not on the road to anywhere.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
whilst a specific planning application is not required the feelings of the local council are taken into consideration it is all part of the application to whomever supplies the licence. The council if they feel strongly enough can take action to close a CL.

robarb38

Free Member
Mar 8, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
"since 1984"
This Park n Ride near Southport Kew Shopping centre is massive and nearly alway deserted like in the picture, it would make a great Aire style site and make some money for the local council if only they thought about it.
Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 20.34.31.png

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
I think so. "Travellers" tend to arrive in groups be abusive and leave a mess whilst motorhomers usually have well cared for vehicles, are polite and often leave the place cleaner than when they arrived..

We also arrive in vehicles that are Taxed, MOT'd and have insurance too. Strange how we get done if we fail to have any of these yet "travellers" don't seem to need any

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Why is everyone having a go at Travelers ????? A lot of them are very nice people and have better ways than us. Religion is a big part of some of their lives and there kids are the reason for living so don't be nasty and live and let live. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Why is everyone having a go at Travelers ????? A lot of them are very nice people and have better ways than us. Religion is a big part of some of their lives and there kids are the reason for living so don't be nasty and live and let live. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

I went to school with several, more settled travellers and couldn't wish for nicer, honest people. However they were from Romany descent. Pop down to Dorset this time of year and have a look at the amount of " travellers " parked up on school playing fields, public car parks and play parks. See the mess that leave behind, the loose dogs and ask the police for the increase in crime statistics. I am pretty sure that if I parked up in a car park in Sandbanks it wouldn't be very long before I was moved on !!!!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I used to work for a Romany gentleman, employed a Romany family when I managed a fruit farm (for harvest work) and have distant Romany ancestry myself. Romany (travelling or settled). Travelers, like all others in life, are NOT all the same. I've never had a problem with any of the Romany community but have with other travelling people.

Many of the Romany community dislike some other travelers because of the problems they cause for everyone.

The man I used to work for used his address as an "accommodation" address for many of his family. I know their vehicles were taxed and insured as I used to sort and file the paperwork.

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
We think the CC & CCC should be allowed more pitches on their CLs if they have the room, only allowing 5 vans is out dated, there are so many folk camping now you can never get on a site unless you book weeks in advance, if they have the facility, we cannot see a problem.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We think the CC & CCC should be allowed more pitches on their CLs if they have the room, only allowing 5 vans is out dated, there are so many folk camping now you can never get on a site unless you book weeks in advance, if they have the facility, we cannot see a problem.
I don't think it has anything to do with the clubs, it is a legal issue and would need a change in the law.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back