Plans are afoot for the great escape... (1 Viewer)

Scrappie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
It's a learning curve
Hi all
After moving house numerous times and still not settling we have finally realised after many conversations over coffee and wine ( not in the same glass you understand) that you can struggle to get to the top in the rat race, but you are still a rat. With something a kin to the parting of the waves we realised that our problem isn't that we are never satisfied with what we have, just that we don't settle, which is different. We enjoy seeing new places, we love meeting new people, we wanna be free! Quick grab a shovel and dig....or swap the caravan for a motor home and go!
So we are in the process of the dig, shoring up the tunnel, planning and preparing. Getting rid of what we don't need and looking for our road boat.

Just me, himself and 3 small dogs.
Looking forward to info, advise and chats.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Fantastic. We did the same last year, jumped of the treadmill and escaped. It was hard work, I fact the hours we were putting in in the last few months made me ill. That is all behind us now and we have no regrets.

It's tough getting rid of stuff that you once valued or thought you needed but stick with it as the feeling of relief when it's all gone is amazing.

Looking forward to following your adventure.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way. :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi scrapie ,we came the same conclusion about 6 months ago , the plan is to buy a Mh ,we ordered one a couple of weeks ago from Belgium ,it should be ready by January .
we will hang around the UK for a bit as one of out three dogs is 15 and we don't like the idea of putting her through the jabs for Europe .
other than that ,it's rent the house out and top up the touring fund by doing the odd contract.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome, good luck exciting times ahead.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Be afraid - be very afraid..... way back in the 19**s, my missus and I were in exactly the same situation. Life was just so boring and we felt the future was just more of the same, so we sold our house and everything inside it, bought a van, and I mean a van, loaded it with what we thought we might need and armed with a one-way ticket to Calais, set off on our adventure. We were extremely naive and not at all street wise and realistically expected the trip to last a few months.
Seventeen years later we returned to the UK so, pack plenty of tea bags!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one important piece of advice is "always have an emergency plan". if your van is your home, what will you do, when it breaks down or needs replacing. too many people just focus on the freedom, especially those who have never owned a motorhome before. done properly, its a wonderful lifestyle choice

OP
OP
Scrappie

Scrappie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
It's a learning curve
Thank you for such a warm welcome everyone.
I take your point about a plan B...we have a place in France which we lived in for 5 years before realising we hadn't taken enough decent tea bags with us and liptons is just tainted water! Geriatric wanderer, know what I mean?
So, if we need a bricks and mortar fix, we can go there ( actually himself points out that it is Cobb and stone but who's picky?)
Currently in the caravan in Cornwall for an itinerant fix. Dreaming of our life on the road.
I may need a bit more counselling when I get back and start de cluttering! So much stuff!! Arrgghh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back