Planning to travel for two years (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
Now that will be a problem the wife has her fat clothes her thin clothes her summer clothes her winter clothes I will not go down the road of mentioning her shoes.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Re voting in a UK Election..

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. .. You may have no desire to vote, but it keeps you on the register.

You would qualify under the category..
  • Living on a boat or other moveable residence

Living on a boat or other moveable residence
If you live on a boat, houseboat or similar residence which has a fixed or permanent mooring then you can register at that address. You can register online at gov.uk/register-to-vote.

If you do not have a permanent mooring then you can register either at a place where you spend most of your time or have some connection. This could be the place where you were last permanently registered or, for example, a boatyard that you use for maintenance.

You can do this by filling in a form called a 'Declaration of local connection'. You can download a Register to vote form (no fixed address, living in England or Wales) from gov.uk. Alternatively, you can get the form from your local electoral registration office.

To find the contact details for your local electoral registration office, enter your postcode in the Your local area section of our homepage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Roll vacuum bags are essential to take more clothes with less space, I like to have a bit more than the 1 for wearing, 1 in wash, 1 for emergencies philosophy :whistle:

To be honest it was Dave that took more persuading to make the big steps, I quickly let go of 'stuff' once we'd emptied the locker to get at something right at back a couple of times :LOL:

OP
OP
celandine

celandine

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Funster No
Never heard of the vacuum bags where do you get them from anything that takes up less space is worth a try.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It does become all consuming when you start restructuring your life like this, but hang in there because the rewards are fantastic and very liberating once you have got rid of most of the stuff that's been hanging round your neck for years.

We have storage at one of the houses so we don't have to pay anything but we still reduce what we have kept everytime we go back.

As for European breakdown, that has to be ADAC. They are a German company and you will need to ask for an English speakers when you ring up, but once you have your policy they are brilliant to deal with.

This year we are carrying a printer and scanner with us, we find it easier than having to find places that can do this and over come the language barrier. It has meant we can print off, sign, rescan and send back any paperwork needed. The printer is very light but bulky, we anticipated the need for it this year but hopefully next year we won't need it.

As for your dog, I would say you need to be honest with yourself and ask will your dog enjoy the travelling, the heat, not having a garden to run around in? Is he/she already used to the motorhome? If elderly and or fragile maybe some really hard decisions have to be made. If you think he will cope then there is no need to worry about vets in main land Europe, nearly every town, even the small ones have a vets. As long as your own vet gives you a list of the drugs needed your should be able to find what you need. We keep the packets of any drugs our dog, or us for that matter, might need and just show them to a vet or pharmacist, this method has never failed us yet.

Even if you manged to need something only found in England, which is highly unlikely, you can book in to a campsite for a week or two and get it delivered. We have bought stuff like this from Germany, England and believe it or not, even Finland and had it deliverd to either a local pick up point or a campsite.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
[QUOTE="Ven, post: 1891445, I quickly let go of 'stuff' once we'd emptied the locker to get at something right at back a couple of times :LOL:[/QUOTE]

We are still going through this stage two years on:rofl:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Colin says he's only coming to see you if you have replenished your stock of Liquorice allsorts?

I knew it; I Bleddy Knew it, that is what my dear mother used to call "Cupboard Love". Well you can tell that Colin from me he can do one call here anytime, having said that we are away next weekend until late July with Stratford / Misterton / Lakes-Scotland and finally @Jez and Lin York meet.

Catch you all in Field sometime soon...... Griff

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
As others have said definitely use a letting agent to manage your property. Ideally have a prepared list of questions to ask the agencies ( if you Google this you will find a suggested list) before you pick one . Ideally you want someone who is familiar with your local rental market.

I think there is lots of good advice here on full- timing and no reason not to give it a go.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
If you came back and lived in your own home, or rented a property, yes...

but whatever the circumstances, it's vital to discuss frankly and openly with the insurer .. non discloser will void a policy ..
you may get insurance and it may let you purchase VED .. it may satisfy a police roadside check.. but come the day you actually need it.. up sh1t creek ... and as a full timer on the road 365 you are more likeley to have a claim than the seasonal user ..

In my whole driving life, car and motorhomes, I've only ever had one claim.. guess when.. yes, when I was full time.. and it was a big claim.. which thankfully NFU settled without quibble..

non-disclosure in insurance cases
"Non-disclosure" refers to the situation where a customer fails to reveal a relevant fact when applying for – or renewing – an insurance contract. It is widely recognised that in some situations involving non-disclosure, applying the strict legal position can result in an unduly harsh outcome for the customer. For this reason, when we deal with insurance cases involving non-disclosure or "misrepresentation" – an incorrect statement made by a customer – we take account of both the law and good industry practice.

So totally agree with you Jim - so many people look on the insurers as the enemy but when the sh1t hits the fan you need the very best in insurers. My Landy has modifications - such as winch - roof rack - fifth wheel hitch - all are included in the policy and actually cost nothing to add to the policy as they are all for personal use

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Vacuum roll bags are on eBay and Amazon, pretty inexpensive and can be useful for bedding, towels etc. too.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
My wife and myself have decided to rent out our home put our furniture in storage and travel around for 2 years the majority of time in Europe has anyone else got experience if this what should we anticipate my wife is especially worried any constructive advice would be appreciated.
Read this.........it will have you hooked........seems they are off again.

http://ourtour.co.uk/home/look-inside-our-hymer-b544-2001-a-class-motorhome-zagan/

They have done it all. And wrote the book and all the info you need to go anywhere.

Brilliant website brilliant blog.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Read this.........it will have you hooked........seems they are off again.

http://ourtour.co.uk/home/look-inside-our-hymer-b544-2001-a-class-motorhome-zagan/

They have done it all. And wrote the book and all the info you need to go anywhere.

Brilliant website brilliant blog.
Ive just been reading this thread and am gutted to discover that its hard if not impossible to get insurance for full time living otr for a motorhome more than 10 years old.
Yet these people in this link are in a 2001 motorhome. ill read it tomorow to see if they mention insurance ,, as for now bed time :D

Awayoflife

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Neismann birscoff flair
Exp
On and of for many years now permantley
I am full time single guy been travelling for a few years. Also rented my house and do come back to uk for a few months of the so called summer. All I can say is the uk bit is the hardest. Do it. and enjoy.

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Talking about getting a LettingAgent, anyone thinking of renting out property whilst they are away, Northwood Estate Agents offer a Guaranteed Rent and will look after your property whilst you are away. No commissions or set up fees. For more details contact your local Northwood....or www.northwooduk.com to find your local office...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back