Planning the Next Big Trip (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Certainly not sad. I do the same and then like to check out the aires and sites with Street view on google earth. Most of them are easily locatable.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
At the risk of hijacking my own thread I've just noticed an interesting pop-up ad on this page. For MI5! Is it because we mentioned maps? :)

View attachment 98678
Eh, with the average IQ of The Funsters (even before pre-dinner cocktails) I fear they are advertising in the wrong place to the wrong audience!:whistle::giggle: Funster + Intelligence does not compute!

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
We normally decide where we're going over breakfast that's about as much planning we get done :LOL:

Yes that's what we do. We make sure that we have plenty of resources prepared before we go, our computer is full of POI's giving us plenty of options. We just have a rough idea of where we want to go but this often changes as we get on the road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Six weeks today we will be on the ferry - but planning is helping to get the juices flowing. :)
Where are you going and what are your plans ,so far? Get us looking forward to your blog

Reactions: DBK
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When I retired we embarked on an eight week tour of Spain and Portugal.

Taking the ferry to Santander we followed the Med. coast towards Malaga. As we travelled we met many fellow travellers who asked us "Have you been to Seville."

It sounded great, so we went.

Then others said "have you visited Codoba?"

It sounded great so we went.

The result was that after eight weeks we had had a fantastic time and had seen some wonderful sights but we ran out of time and never reached Portugal.

That, to us, is one of the great things about motorhomes - the flexibility. So, we tend to plan our first stop and then allow the motorhome to go where the mood takes us. We have found some gems of places that way.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Where are you going and what are your plans ,so far? Get us looking forward to your blog
The route is from Santander over the Pyrenees into France to stay with a long lost cousin I met at a funeral this year, not seen for over 30 years but she has a house there. Then along the bottom of France into northern Italy, not quite sure of exact route but I intend to avoid the costal strip. Then across Italy via Liguria and one or two of the lakes into Slovenia. After that it depends on how hot it is but ideally into Croatia and some of the islands.

But it all may change!

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We always do lots of planning. Looking at different routes, places to stay along the way, interesting things to see.
Then we get on the road and so often change plans!
Sometimes because weather is better somewhere else or maybe because someone we have met tells you of new places. Love the planning but then being able to change it at any time is the beauty of motorhoming! Happy planning

Ditto :)

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
I have places with aires and campsites that look interesting marked on a road map. No specific route planned out at the start of our holiday, maybe a general "shall we head to Burgundy or Limousin?" but it does mean that I have some idea of where there is to pitch when we stop. The "planning" is half the fun of the holiday even if we end up doing something completely different. We don't usually book sites in France as we go in June and use aires and ACSI, however this year I have booked a few nights on a small campsite near Eymet at the start of our holiday as we want to visit friends nearby.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
well Judge my miss'es got an 'T A' award some years ago for Trip Reviews and they certainly were not fake:) ...But yes, who wants all that planning we just decide the target and sort through the ASCI guide whilst travelling...one map, one 8500 Sat Nav....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
well Judge my miss'es got an 'T A' award some years ago for Trip Reviews and they certainly were not fake:) ...But yes, who wants all that planning we just decide the target and sort through the ASCI guide whilst travelling...one map, one 8500 Sat Nav....
They can't all be fake! ...Or can they:)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We havent done to much planning in the past just a rough idea where we want to go and head in the general direction, now we have less time might start planning. So how do I plan a route and put it in to google maps with notes.
Hope you don't mind this DBK don't want to hijack your thread.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We havent done to much planning in the past just a rough idea where we want to go and head in the general direction, now we have less time might start planning. So how do I plan a route and put it in to google maps with notes.
Hope you don't mind this DBK don't want to hijack your thread.
I've not plotted an actual route, other than for cycling but I believe you can use Garmin Base Camp and providing you have a suitable Garmin SatNav you can squirt the route into the device and then follow that.

It might be worth starting a new thread for this subject or your question might be missed by the Garmin experts. :)

I just choose where to go and either let the Satnav choose the route or if I want to take minor roads as we often do I use the map or road atlas. When plotting cycle routes I've used Google Streetview to get an idea of what a road looked like to avoid the narrow and busy ones where possible but I haven't gone to that length for the MH yet!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
It really is all a matter of balance. Whilst I understand those posters who feel that planning removes the spontanaety of motorhome travelling, I don't think that it's "sad" as some who've stated this, to have a good idea of your destination, what there is when you get there, how best to get there with as few problems as possible and minimising the stress of inappropriate routes etc.
And as others have posted, often half the fun of a journey lies in the planning. Further, it isn't a matter of GPS or paper maps but they are complementary. Why rely only on one or the other. From my experience, GPS has limited accuracy and often tells you nothing about the suitability of the road, something much more apparent froma map. I fear there is a whole generation of people who will have no idea how to read a map and rely solely on GPS. I see them performing u turns after slavishly following their satnavs with their vans trying to navigate goat tracks and ploughed fields.
Enjoy planning and enjoy your travels.

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Sad to admit but we do more planning than travelling....might even sell the van and just keep planning and dreaming!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our planning consists of tunnel, gravelines, France, then if we get anywhere near ,maybe a bit of Italy or Spain.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can't all be fake because I have one or two reviews on there and they are genuine(y):)
No but the one off ones usually are. Trust the posters with history a good indicator but still read between the lines...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No but the one off ones usually are. Trust the posters with history a good idicstor but still read between the lines...
Wasn't suggesting otherwise, just saying(y) anyone who believes anything just because it's on Google , eBay, Amazon , trip advisor et all should probably get out more(n)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Our planning consists of tunnel, gravelines, France, then if we get anywhere near ,maybe a bit of Italy or Spain.
That's about how much planning we do. It's ad hoc whether we turn left, right or straight on at the first roundabout. We've looked at planning but things don't work that easily. I've got scores of Aires in my Sat Nav and if we're in the area, we'll use it if we liked it last time.
We also take recommendations from other motorhomes whatever nationality they are.
I'm not sure whether we do this because we get fed up of trying to decide where or the adventure of just driving and seeing where we go. Maybe one year I'll take the blindfold off.

megsdad

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
auto cruise
Exp
1 month
Set off last year with a plan .ended up just heading for an aire and everything in between we came across

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back