Planning a trip to Norway (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We are starting to plan a trip to Norway in our motor home next May. Anyone done a trip before with advice and tips. Thanks in advance.
We are planning a Norway trip around the same time. Not started any detailed planning yet though. We went in Summer of 2016 in our car, it was an amazing trip, but this time will spend more time there and are planning to get up to Lofoten to do some kayaking.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've had two trips to Norway. Details can be found in these two threads.

And

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Terry Sweet, if you want to PM me with your email address I'll be happy to send you all the stuff I copied and saved before my trip. With their permission it's edited threads from Robert Clark, DavidG58, lorger, jumartoo (which trip I can't remember). :)

There's a 130+ page word doc from Our Tour which I edited to include Tromso south including Bergen, Flam, Stavanger, Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen as far as Gouda in Holland, you could turn that upside down if it helps going from this end. :wondering:

Mentioned in plenty of threads is the fishing opportunities, particularly the Saltsraumen, read their blog on Shooting Fish in a Barrel, the Maelstrom at Saltsraumen. There's also a list of their stopovers with co-ordinates, and all sorts of other notes of my own. Given the tolls were all through EPC and ferries paid by Clarity Card it was easy to total our costs, well, I've listed them all from the cards and EPC statements into various categories but never actually totalled them.

On the subject of the cost of the Danish bridges, I don't know why it appears so costly for some. I had read all sort of posts on this but we paid 200 DKr for the electronic screen gadget from Brobizz and went through both bridges for around £75 in a 7.5metre van. Our return was with Fjordline from Kristiansand to Hirtshals at £230.

02/06/18​
Fyn to Sjaelland​
294.74 DKr​
Toll​
Brobizz - CC​
34.87​
05/06/18​
Oresund​
328.00 DKr​
Toll​
Brobizz - CC​
38.72​

If I Pm you my email address, would it be possible for you to send the information to me also?
We are planning a 5 month trip next year, to include 3 months in Norway and it sounds most helpful..
Thanks
Liverpoollass

I

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This thread has wet my appetite again.

Norwegians - lovely, lovely people.

I have visited 5-6 times, including compteing against Fred Olsen in the Oslo Fjord race and one Christmas there.

My planned European tour(5 years in the waiting) starts from here in Poland with Norway as first target, pity Bergen-Newcastle has finished, because then it is Scotland, Ireland then South.

Just a few tips about Oslo. A transport ticket lasts 2 hours and allows you to change from bus to tram. Or a day ticket will include the ferries to the nearby islands.

Lots of good museums - Munch(The scream- 5/6 versions), Nautical museums, etc.

If you are in Bergen at Sunday midday and like jazz there is a bar at the head of the harbour overlooking the water that has a jazz session. Last time I was there the soloist was a Surgeon at the hospital - that is typical of Norway. Everybody is everbody, nobody is nobody.

I would be happy to live in the country, but could not tolerate the dark winter days - lights in Oslo turn on at 1445 in Dec. Here in S. Poland we are at least same latitude as London.

Geoff

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
All great advice!!---- I must say that we had no problems getting gas from a chain of self service outlets where you can fill anything if you have adapters (we even filled camping gaz with their adapter) -- don't tell anyone it's probably illegal!!------- also check your speed limit and stick to it , speeding fines are very steep and they do have mobile speed cameras,--- we went passed one while we were going uphill but he was checking those coming down!!--- he would have caught me if he checked my speed, we were in our 6litre Dodge!!!!!
We found that by ducking back into Sweden for shopping trips we didn't find the trip expensive----- diesel was cheap in Norway, not checked price since. You can fish in saltwater without a licence in Norway but Sweden is quite difficult as (at that time) a licence only covered a tiny area--- could be several licences on one lake!!
Getting gas in Sweden we found virtually impossible---- I believe it is available in the south--------- we concentrated our whole trip in the north!!
When you plan your route, check miles carefully as they are very big countries, you don't want to spend the whole time chasing miles, Norway can be quite slow, take that into account also!!
Much faster travelling in Sweden and very good empty roads.
Have a great trip----- we are hoping to return next year but don't know yet!!

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Th
Liverpoollass, sorry not to get back on this, I've been shipwrecked on Tenerife and not been on Fun for a while but happy to send info if you PM me addresses. Christmas may get in the way especially as the tree is not yet up but I won't forget.
Thank you so much for the reply..I will PM my email address..no need to rush..prioritise and put your tree up..then enjoy Christmas..

Renami

Free Member
Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Exp
Terry Sweet we are planning currently our trip to Norway in May also. Its a short trip for us, 21 days, Roscoff to Norway... ICK..... Looking forward to seeing and sharing ideas on this trip. Gordon

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've got a return to Norway pencilled in for June/July next year. 5/6 weeks in the south west corner, Lofoten Islands etc. as we missed them on a last trip.

Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
We are starting to plan a trip to Norway in our motor home next May. Anyone done a trip before with advice and tips. Thanks in advance.
We toured Norway, Sweden and Denmark this summer. Sailed to Bergen watch out for the tunnels which are narrow and long and a bit unnerving at first especially in a right hand drive (your next to the wall) but you soon get used to them as there are many. Flam is a nice place to stay but if you like a quiet place by the fjords try Undredal a small village with a campsite by the fjord. Nice walks up to the mountain farms and along the fjord. Enjoy.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have been to Norway many times, only ever in winter.

Sadly, we used one of the last ferries back to Newcastle from Bergen.

When we first went, there were two ferry companies.

Colorline went up the west coast to Norway and DFDS did the Southern route to Norway and Sweden.

DFDS took over the routes from colorline and stopped the route to Sweden.

They said the could still not make money out of the route and ceased.

You can get s ferry direct from the UK. But it’s a commercial one with shared accommodation and fixed meals. Prices are sky high too.

We always paid tolls.
We stayed in a combination of houses and also used the motorhome .

Not always as expensive as people suggest.

2007, we went for apres ski in Norway and paid £4 a pint of lager, my niece was in the French alps and paid £7 a pint.

But if your in the motorhome, you can take plenty

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We have been to Norway many times, only ever in winter.

Sadly, we used one of the last ferries back to Newcastle from Bergen.

When we first went, there were two ferry companies.

Colorline went up the west coast to Norway and DFDS did the Southern route to Norway and Sweden.

DFDS took over the routes from colorline and stopped the route to Sweden.

They said the could still not make money out of the route and ceased.

You can get s ferry direct from the UK. But it’s a commercial one with shared accommodation and fixed meals. Prices are sky high too.

We always paid tolls.
We stayed in a combination of houses and also used the motorhome .

Not always as expensive as people suggest.

2007, we went for apres ski in Norway and paid £4 a pint of lager, my niece was in the French alps and paid £7 a pint.

But if your in the motorhome, you can take plenty

I expect you're thinking of the routes out of Immingham when you mention direct routes. Unfortunately they no longer take leisure passengers due to a lack of Border Control facilities. I think you can still send unaccompanied vehicles but as said at great cost.

We are still campaigning for a return of the Harwich to Esbjerg route and there have been encouraging noises from Stena Line after recent contact. The return of duty free and and the increase in numbers who are rejecting flying and looking for alternative cleaner travel, including trains, will eventually see the return of a route. Do what you can to help:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RHEGFerry
https://www.reopen-the-harwich-to-esbjerg-ferry-group.com/
https://www.change.org/p/dfds-seaways-reopen-the-harwich-to-esbjerg-ferry-crossing

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Where does it state that ?. Only it asks for passenger details

We have this discussion all the time on the Facebook group. On the right, green exclamation mark,
Freight movement restrictions apply on this ferry route
More Information etc.

Can't remember the details but I believe they now take only professional truck drivers and the other professional groups mentioned, and only about twelve at that.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Surely, in today’s market there must be a demand for a ferry from The UK To Norway and or Sweden?.

Especially with brexshit looming.

As I’ve mentioned many times on here.

No less than 15 years ago, we were often the only motorhome on the ferry to Spain. And Brittany ferries only operated Spanish Portsmouth - Santander March - October !.

Now, see my post here

Colorline and DFDS sited poor passenger numbers due to lo-cost airlines.

Whilst I agree, it’s still cheap to fly. But with the loss of Monarch, Thomas cook. Plus Norwegian air shuttle cutting European flights, along with Ryanair’s struggle with capacity (Boeing MAX)......

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm sure if a financial case for it could be brought then at least one of the ferry companies would be straight in there. At this stage (B----t) a country subsidising it is probably not an option.

Sadly, it's all down to finances/profit these days.

joemocks79

Free Member
Nov 17, 2019
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Any tips on places or routes to take in Scandinavia. We're planning a long trip taking in Denmark, Sweden, Norway then heading to the Baltic States afterwards potentially through Finland, probably taking 6 weeks or so but have no idea about which parts are good and which are the good routes to take so would like to hear some of your recommendations for routes through and between the countries. I didn't want to slog all the way up Norway/Sweden because that I figure that would take forever so was thinking as far up as Trondheim. Any insights greatly appreciated!

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Minimum 8 wks ?

joemocks79

Free Member
Nov 17, 2019
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Minimum 8 wks ?
Is that a question for me? We're away 6 months in total and I'm not rigid on time if there is something we really want to go see we can stay a bit longer but I don't want to burn all my budget and time traipsing around similar scenery in Scandinavia when we've got other parts of Europe to go explore. Any suggested locations or routes to share?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Norway is spectacular no matter which direction you head. Sweden and Finland not so great so if I were you I'd plan to spend most, if not all, of my time in Norway.

We spent four months exploring Norway in 2018 and another four months in 2019 - we might even do the same again this year! Wonderful country - jaw-droppingly expensive but worth every penny! :giggle:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Any tips on places or routes to take in Scandinavia. We're planning a long trip taking in Denmark, Sweden, Norway then heading to the Baltic States afterwards potentially through Finland, probably taking 6 weeks or so but have no idea about which parts are good and which are the good routes to take so would like to hear some of your recommendations for routes through and between the countries. I didn't want to slog all the way up Norway/Sweden because that I figure that would take forever so was thinking as far up as Trondheim. Any insights greatly appreciated!
Here is a heads up from BroBizz which maybe useful regarding your plans:
Coronavirus / COVID-19 has really taken hold in Denmark, and parts of the country are closing down more or less. However, you can still get hold of BroBizz. We stand ready in customer service and do our best to help you answer your questions. You can contact us during normal business hours, which are Monday-Thursday 8: 30-16: 00 and Friday 8: 30-15: 30.

BroBizz follows the authorities' guidelines
We do what we can to help reduce the risk of coronavirus infection among our colleagues and in the community. That is why we have fewer people in customer service in the next few weeks and we have sent those of our colleagues home who can take care of their jobs from home. We hope for your understanding if you experience extra waiting time.

We encourage you to look for answers on our help pages, which you can find at BroBizz.com. You can also send us an email at customer service@brobizz.com.

Take good care of each other during this time!

joemocks79

Free Member
Nov 17, 2019
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here is a heads up from BroBizz which maybe useful regarding your plans:
Coronavirus / COVID-19 has really taken hold in Denmark, and parts of the country are closing down more or less. However, you can still get hold of BroBizz. We stand ready in customer service and do our best to help you answer your questions. You can contact us during normal business hours, which are Monday-Thursday 8: 30-16: 00 and Friday 8: 30-15: 30.

BroBizz follows the authorities' guidelines
We do what we can to help reduce the risk of coronavirus infection among our colleagues and in the community. That is why we have fewer people in customer service in the next few weeks and we have sent those of our colleagues home who can take care of their jobs from home. We hope for your understanding if you experience extra waiting time.

We encourage you to look for answers on our help pages, which you can find at BroBizz.com. You can also send us an email at customer service@brobizz.com.

Take good care of each other during this time!

Well it appears that Denmark and Norway have shut their borders

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

The Øresund Bridge and the corona virus​
Øresundsbro Konsortiet follows authority recommendations and government decisions regarding the spread of the corona virus. The Danish government has decided to partially close the border - stricter entry rules to Denmark from March 14 at 12 o'clock through April 13, 2020.

The Øresund Bridge continues to be open for freight traffic, all trips from Denmark to Sweden, and with stricter entry rules from Sweden to Denmark. People who wish to travel to Denmark can expect to be rejected at the Danish border, if they do not have a valid reason, such as living or working in Denmark, or delivering goods to Denmark.

For more information and details on the Danish government's stricter entry rules to Denmark, we refer to the Danish authorities website

The Øresund Bridge is important from a societal perspective and for the infrastructure in the Øresund region. Accessibility and safety for customers, staff and suppliers is our highest priority. But if authorities in Denmark or Sweden decide that we should restrict access, we try to handle the decision to the best of our ability for our customers.

Due to the spread of the corona virus, Øresundsbro Konsortiet works actively to prevent the spread of infection among the staff, protect the business and secure accessibility - with internal procedures and guidelines for travel, telework and meetings with guests and suppliers.

We refer to the authorities’ websites for the latest information about coronavirus.

Folkhälsomyndigheten
Sundhedsstyrelsen

With kind regards
Øresundsbron​

Wully

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524
Exp
Godot was inspired by the DVLA
If you are touring through Denmark then check out the Viking museum in Ribe which is a pretty little town that used to the capital. Then head up just north of Esbjerg to Vigers Strand ( Veer Strand..) where there is an excellent camp site nestling in the dunes behind a beach which goes pretty much the whole length of the west coast. Don’t be surprised if you see main battle tanks on the beach- you drive through a tank range (with museum) on the way in.
Ringkobing has one of those massive sand castle festivals in August I think.
Klitmoller is lovely but very popular and has great surf..worth stopping even if you don’t surf.

Skagen (Skaen..) is the most northerly point in Denmark and at low tide you can amuse yourself watching Danes wading out as far north as they can get on the sand spit..

Turn left off the ferry from Hirstshals (after stocking up on excellent Danish beer- you’ll have drank all the cheaper stuff you bought in Germany by now) and enjoy the crazy Norwegian road architecture and scenery.

Scandinavia is superb.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back