Planning a Trip to Ireland - Any Advice (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Planning to take the MH, wife and border collie to Ireland mid sept to mid October - across to Dublin and then across south and up west coast. I found some useful pointers and locations on this section on the Forum and wondered if anyone has any updates or further advice.

We are interested in quiet stuff, walking, lakes, mountains, beaches and nice pubs. Looking to mainly wold-camp to keep costs down - especially since recent slippage in Euro rates.

Also, is Budget and/or Calor Gas readily available in Ireland?

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mark

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I mentioned it in a thread I posted on Ireland. . I'm just back ftom touring for 5/6wks..covered the length of the wild Atlantic way and the Antrim coast. A must get is the books from the tourist information.. free comprehensive and cover the whole island..
No bother wild camping but in the south west you may have to look a bit harder for nice spots.. lots of low barriers..
A lot of the roads are a challenge if you have a larger mh.. narrow and restricted vis with high hedges so go slow lol..
I hope you have a great time and the sun shines..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for that. I just checked out the motorhomewild site and looks like it hasn't been updated since early to mid 2014. Shame because there's some good stuff there but the google maps link is broken. Not sure if the downloads are working - I will try later.

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Hi we are traveling over to Ireland both north and south in a few weeks you can get an app called motorhome parking Ireland created by the people who run the motorhome Craic website have a look on playstore.
I purchased the full app for four pounds odd. Caravan sites can be expensive in Ireland. We will be staying at a mixture of wild camping and staying at the many bars that are happy for you to stay if you eat or drink in there premises.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Planning to take the MH, wife and border collie to Ireland mid sept to mid October - across to Dublin and then across south and up west coast. I found some useful pointers and locations on this section on the Forum and wondered if anyone has any updates or further advice.

We are interested in quiet stuff, walking, lakes, mountains, beaches and nice pubs. Looking to mainly wold-camp to keep costs down - especially since recent slippage in Euro rates.

Also, is Budget and/or Calor Gas readily available in Ireland?

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mark
Calor and Flo Gas readily available. If you are down in Kerry check out Inch Beach. Great pub/Restaurant there and you can stay directly on the beach in the MH, Your Collie will love...ours did!
d1.jpg
d1.jpg
d3.jpg

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Someone has mentioned motorhome parking app. It will be worth the investment. Gas often is an issue for uk travellers coming to Ireland but there are places, not many where you can get your bottle refilled. The bottles here tend to have a different regulator.
Noted you intend to mainly wild camp but if you're looking at campsites lots close in September or October. Campsite guide the green guide, camping and caravan guide Ireland is a website and you can get free hard copy guides in some tourist offices and campsites.
The WAW is great roads will be quiet. You must learn to wave not just at MHs but all vehicles and pedestrians. Note lots of pubs do not allow pets.

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Hi we are traveling over to Ireland both north and south in a few weeks you can get an app called motorhome parking Ireland created by the people who run the motorhome Craic website have a look on playstore.
I purchased the full app for four pounds odd. Caravan sites can be expensive in Ireland. We will be staying at a mixture of wild camping and staying at the many bars that are happy for you to stay if you eat or drink in there premises.
Mine is very good value for money money in Sep and Oct €12 per night including 2 people ehu 16amp €3. Showers wifi no extra charge.
And we're excellent according to trip advisor.

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Mine is very good value for money money in Sep and Oct €12 per night including 2 people ehu 16amp €3. Showers wifi no extra charge.
Hi your site looks a nice stop if we're in the area we will give you a visit regards jeff

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Hi your site looks a nice stop if we're in the area we will give you a visit regards jeff
There is also some great places to wild camp in west Clare but do try and take the drive from Loophead lighthouse to Kilkee stopping at the Bridges of Ross. Not overly touristy but better for it.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
@jimiol ....Just browsed your website, Looks great there! Will have to get down your way before 31st October....

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
@jimiol ....Just browsed your website, Looks great there! Will have to get down your way before 31st October....
The bank holiday weekend end of October is good as there is a traditional festival in the village but you'd be welcome anytime

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Just look up motorhomecraic, this is the one that you need when you visit Ireland.a friendly welcoming community with a mass of useful information.
Worth the joining fee many times over and will give access to places to stay and places to see.
Enjoy your trip.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
and if you are really stuck you could stay at strandcampingdoonbeg.com !!!
trouble is that the last couple we sent there liked it so much they
did not want to leave!
put it in your sat nav ,a stop you will never forget.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi there HO had three weeks touring Ireland last year docked at Rosslaire then bumbled along the South coast,Dingle Penninsula,Ring of Kerry,Bantry Bay,all mast sees,then up the west coast to Donnegal Galloway bay,all wild camping, no problem spoke to a couple of irish folks about the "No overnight parking"and "No camping"signs they said ignore they only apply to the Itinerants it then gives the "authorities" the right to move them on.there is a usefull website similar but obviously not as good as ours called Motorhomecraic.co.uk you might find it usefull to register on that,same as on ours to gain some first hand info. hope this hasn't come to late for you as i only just seen your post,happy travels,

OP
OP
Hooflungdung
Dec 8, 2013
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks everyone for your responses - some really useful stuff and the plan and route is coming together. Just hoping the weather will be good.

Planning to leave around 15th Sept via Holyhead so still open to more ideas/suggestions.

Cheers

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If you are sailing back from Dublin and coming there from the Dundalk area there is a good overnight at Annagason good food at the pub or if you are there when the fishing boats are unloading you may be able to buy something. Don't forget to have a look at the replica boat at the quay made from a wooden frame with leather stretched over it. (y)(y)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Watching this with interest as our son gets married next August just outside Clifden, Co Galway.

We are off on a trip round Ireland after the wedding so sucking up all the useful info from this thread.

Hymie

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we were there last year without the motorhome eating out was expensive and the quaility wasnt great but we were a bit restricted for choice where we stayed so that may not be the same everywhere

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
In my experience having lived in the uk for most of my life and spent the last 8 years in the uk as a trainer delivering my training across England Wales and Northern Ireland averaging 100 day a year staying in hotels I personally think the pub food in Ireland is much better than pub food in the uk. I also think the prices are comparable.
To me the pubs serve restaurant quality food at pub prices. Some things are more expensive here but equally other things are cheaper, diesel is cheaper. The ferry crossing between GB and Ireland is ridiculous when compared with GB and France though.
If any one is coming over don't look at a map and think I will cover rosslare to Galway and then head over to Dublin in a week give yourself plenty of time, the sights are amazing as are the people, rushing is NOT an option either stay longer or plan to do less, enjoy the craic.
July and August is very very busy, school is off for the full 2 months. Many campsites do not let you book in advance! Some counties are more wild camping friendly than others.
Finding litter bins can be a challenge as people pay to dispose of their rubbish, there is no Council tax that covers rubbish removal. Public loos are few and far between. Many campsites are static/mobile sites with an extra bit for touring vans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back