Planning a trip..........Preparation, preparation, preparation (1 Viewer)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
more comments like that and some one might not get that old.:giggler::giggler:

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I am quite surprised by the above. In 2o+ years of caravanning & MHing I've never even thought of making lists, maybe when I get older I'll need them :D
Wait till ye are in yer 40's like me.
Dimentia sets in, I keep meeting new people !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
that's not your age that's the amount of g@t in a weekend.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Not checking the gas was just pain dumb - but the one thing I always have are tools, gaffa tape, bits of wire, and all sorts of bits and bobs.

I disconnected the cooker from the main gas supply, fitted one of the Campingaz bottles with hose and regulator with a jubilee clip under the sink:Eeek:........checked for leaks..............cooked breakfast and hot coffee(y)

I've lived on a boat with gas so I know the dangers..............switched gas on only while in use(y)

Still cold without heating................you never use the cooker for heating

I'll never be organised enough to do lists - if I did I would forget where they were or lose them:)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Not checking the gas was just pain dumb - but the one thing I always have are tools, gaffa tape, bits of wire, and all sorts of bits and bobs.

I disconnected the cooker from the main gas supply, fitted one of the Campingaz bottles with hose and regulator with a jubilee clip under the sink:Eeek:........checked for leaks..............cooked breakfast and hot coffee(y)

I've lived on a boat with gas so I know the dangers..............switched gas on only while in use(y)

Still cold without heating................you never use the cooker for heating

I'll never be organised enough to do lists - if I did I would forget where they were or lose them:)

Basher, I salute you Sir.................it is gents like you that put the real 'Wild' into camping! :D

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
well scousebird I will be 70 next month. you have a long way to go yet. good to see JJ is still about.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We don't have lists really it's just me saying "got your insulin and your meds" her "yes" me "got your bank cards" her "yes" me "get in then anything we haven't got we will buy when we get there"

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I check and sort out the outside, Angela sorts out the inside, easy innitt? (y):D

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete's right, but ages ago we decided we spend so much time in the van there are certain things that stay in there - two extra toothbrushes and toothpaste, bathroom soap, deodorant = all the bathroom staples including loo roll.

Also the store cupboard - condiments, sauces, Bisto, Oxo cubes, various herbs and spices, packet of stuffing, tins of whatever - always always have at least one tin of stewed steak, one of spuds and one of peas or carrots - lazy tart's meal in one saucepan if we arrive late somewhere.

Lower wattage lightweight hairdrier - that I had anyway to take on flying hols in suitcase - stays in van. I use my gas heated brush at home anyway but it and stuff like mousse, blow drying brush etc live in a plastic basket anyway so it just gets moved wholesale into the van. The pills and potions, plasters & paracetamol etc ditto. Certain items of clothing stay in the van - walking boots (well they are 'trainer' style) cagoules one folding brolly and two 'golf' ones and I also have two almost identical winter black quilted coats (that's because I forgot to take my new coat when we went to Portugal in December 2013 for 3 months - so bought another in Palencia on the way through!) so one of them's in there too! LOL

So it's just a matter of which tee shirts, jumpers,whatever we want this time and how many changes of underwear, pairs of socks etc. And the fridge/freezer, fresh bread and fresh veg.

But - I'll always forget SOMETHING and I can't settle properly till I have found out what exactly it is.

We live near Jct 3 of the M6 and one time we'd set off for the tunnel when I realised what I'd forgotten. My insulin pump!! it was still in the bathroom instead of attached to me cos I'd had a shower and Pete came home from work when I was still drying myself and launched into his Have you done this, have you done that? routine and sidetracked me ....... 'Come off at Jct 1 dear, turn round and go back home please!' Ooopsie.

Another time - knickers. Only 1 spare pair in the van. Super U at Agde do some very nice lines in ladies cotton drawers, girls!

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
My list so far is:
Sell house
Find someone to take over business
Buy small flat for daughter at uni and move our stuff into one bedroom
Add to lists on phone so far titled : Our big trip and Big trip finances
Go to the Peterborough show (decided yesterday woo!)
Buy motor home
Head off by August at the latest.
Think that covers it? Haha

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
We purchased the app "Travel List" It has default lists and alerting as well as customisation settings. We spent ages setting it up with van specific lists like " rear steady retracted" or "Bathroom vent closed"

Then we proceeded to never use it :) because we had got into a routine by then lol

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
My list so far is:
Sell house
Find someone to take over business
Buy small flat for daughter at uni and move our stuff into one bedroom
Add to lists on phone so far titled : Our big trip and Big trip finances
Go to the Peterborough show (decided yesterday woo!)
Buy motor home
Head off by August at the latest.
Think that covers it? Haha

Sounds like a great plan. It took us a long time to find the right van though, do you have a short list already?

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Far too new to have a short list. I do like the silver star though.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am obsessional about planning and organising whereas Nick is more along the lines of don't worry we can always buy when we get there. Mind you, some of the countries we have visited this might have proved a bit of a challenge eg Cuba and Costa Rica, not so much recently though perhaps. In the motorhome we have only been to France so far but a check list is my comfort blanket.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our motorhome has all its own stuff, though some lives in our storeroom at home during the winter (clothes, towels, bedding after washing). When we come back from a trip we replace everything we've used or broken from a pad we fill in as we go. The only thing that gets changed is the duvet for three different tog ratings according to season.
Swmbo does take different clothes each trip as would be mortified if seen wearing something she was seen wearing before (a woman thing I don't expect to understand).

Routes are only vaguely planned as we know from past experience that we never follow the plan anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back